New Bunny Owner! Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question New Bunny Owner! Help!

I just purchased a 5 week of Mini Lop. She has a huge cage, food, and a water bottle. I try and get her out and let her run, but she will just walk around a little and just sit there. She seems to be okay being held, and I bathed her yesterday and she did well. I know she's going to be a great bunny someday, does anyone have any suggestions?

How to make her more active?

Treats she may like?

Litter box training?

Toys?

Anything at all that you think may be useful?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Also one of her ears hasn't lopped yet, and I was wondering if that was normal?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Rodentologist

Please don't bathe her again. She's too young to be away from her mother anyway (they should stay there until they're 8 weeks old) but taking a baby that small and fragile and getting her wet puts her at risk for respiratory infections and fungal problems.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hii CONGRATZ ON YOUR BUNNY!! Now as for the rabbit not running around as much its not something to worry about, she is probably getting used to her new environment. Is she eating,sleeping and drinking regularly?

Litter box training, I just trained my lola how to used the litter box ! Its great to have a rabbit litter box trained. Anyway to start off you need to have a square shape litter box big enough for her to sit in it comfortably, the corner type ones are not as good as the square my bunny in fact never used her corner litter box. Also it would be a great idea to take out all the shavings in the cage and just have a bare bottom cage so its not as confusing to have litter everywhere just have the shavings in the litter box. Its also a good Idea to have hay in her litter box because rabbits tead to go potty where they eat. Is your bunny spayed? If not it would be a great idea to have her so because it will be a lot easier to train her

Toy~ you can use anything as a toy for her, like the tube for the toilet paper, cat toys, bird toys really anything that catches your bunnies eyes. Mine loves to play with some cat toy balls I got her. She throws it around in her cage and out on the floor where she is running about. TREATS YUM Mine Loves carrots and lettuce. Now I wouldnt recommend those treats you find in the pet stores that have tons of sugar in it. The treats that looks like you would even eat it, those can cause cavities and tooth decay.

OH Yea and when your bunny has her litter training like a pro you can add a small dog bed in her cage, she will love it! As for her ear flopping o.0 I dont know anything about that sorry, when I got my Lola her ears were already flopped she was about 10 weeks old when i got her

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lola

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks so much! I've wanted a bunny for so long. She hasn't been sprayed yet, I actually just got her yesterday. She seems to always go in the same spot of her cage, like you said near the food. I only keep in her the cage at night, and when I'm not home. Most of the time she stays out. The only thing is, she's seems really scared. She lets me hold her, but she doesn't seem to want to play. She explores a little but not much? Any ideas?

The people I bough her from assured me it was okay to bath her, she had some stuff stuck to her bottom. I used Bunny Bath and I dried her with a towel and a small hairdryer on low. She actually seemed to enjoy the water.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yes Its ok to give her baths but at a young age it might not be such a good idea wait till she reaches 10 weeks old at least. If your bunny does get some poo on her bottom or feet then just clean the area that needs to be cleaned. Bunny bath is great I use that on mine and my bunny is very good in the bath too! As to her running around more give her a bit to getting use to her area she is still a baby and is probably really scared. All she knew was her mom and siblings she will get use to the area soon enough. But what you can do to help her is giving her small bits of carrots or lettuce while she is out of her cage. letting her know this is a safe place. Now do you have ur room ur letting her in bunny proofed?

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Rodentologist

Actually, you're not supposed to introduce lettuce and carrots and other vegetables to bunnies until they're at least 3 months old, and many people recommend waiting until they're 6 months old. Their digestive systems when they're young are not developed enough to handle veggies, and they can sometimes cause them to have severe gastric upset.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

Jannicat I didnt know that, Lola seemed to love it when she was 10 weeks old and she never had any problem with it, otherwise I would have told Lgirl not to give it till 3 months. Plus in my opinion I would think it would be better than those fake treats at the pet store that has loads of sugar in it that can cause tooth decay.So Im guessing only hay would be a good treat till she reaches the correct age to eat carrots and lettuce.

Lola

Daisy

Gohan

Itchy

Selena

Frogger
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Betta Bomb

Juvenile Bunnies dont need to be introduced to veggies or sugar yet to encourage bad habits. As for bathing, if there was poo on her butt I'd have her looked at by a vet since a red flag was the seller clearly has no problem bathing her bunnies regularly therefore there might be something giving baby diarhhea besides being stressed and fed veggies. Yea, bunnies are clean like cats and have NO need to be bathed unless instructed by a vet for illness or maintenance of diarhhea etc.. Products sold in pet stores are not necessarily good for pets, so this Bunny Bath shampoo stuff is just a gimmick product for a certain clientele who cant keep their bunnies cage and habitats clean.
When Akina was suffering diarhhea from her obesity and diet I had to bathe her bum in hipitane soap from the vet. This does not dry out the skin like scented pet store shampoos might contain. Anyway, Im rambling here, good luck with the baby!! I hope she comes around soon, as Jennicat said- she's a few weeks premature so she probably hasn't been shown how to care for herself.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi all.

Lucy doesn't have diarrhea, sometime she just poops in a cluster and it get's stuck to her. Her poop is hard, and the a dark color. Nothing that points to diarrhea. As for the bath, she's done very well. She was only wet for around 5 mins. Although I am a new owner I am very good with her. I just simply wanted some advice on how to make her more comfortable.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

She shouldn't be getting poop stuck to her - even if it's not diarrhea. It sounds like it might be cecotropes - do they look kind of like a cluster of grapes?

But it's not normal for them to have messy bottoms.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Its the cecotropes. I looked it up. She's only done it once that I noticed, the first time I bathed her It wasn't a much her bottom was messy with her poop, she was just dirty with poop, wood chips, and smelled like pet store.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Rodentologist

I would still highly recommend a vet check. It's abnormal for a rabbit to be caked in filth like that, she should be eating the cecals. Being taken away from her mother too young and then sold off at a pet store sets her up for a variety of GI problems.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

Please don't give the bunny a bath or any other food except the rabbit feed, as much hay as the bunny wants and fresh water.
A vet checkup would be very good!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

UPDATE!!

My bunny is growing wonderful, and I'm more in love with her than I ever thought possible. She's eating and drinking well, and is so loving. We keep in the room with hardwood floors, and if you go into the bedroon with carpet and don't let her come she'll just sit and look at you like "dont leave me". She wants to be where ever you are.

She's around 9 weeks now, I also take her outside on our porch and to the park and she does extremely well in her harness.

Some things I was just curious about is it normal for her to eat wayyy more hay than her pellets?

Tags
mini lop