New Here - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

New Here

Hey guys Im new here. I have 2 bunnies. Sugar, my lil girl dwarf who is 1 yr old amd Coco, my mini Holland Lop, who is about 8 months old. I love them both dearly but my 2 girls do not get along AT ALL. They are housed separately. Sug has a really nice neat idea cubes abode while Coco's home is store bought and big enough, but the latches are breaking. Time to shop.

I have 2 concerns/questions.
1) Coco has a pretty bad cough. The vet said if it is consistent he can prescribe antibiotics, but its not consistent so Im unsure what I should do. Her litter is dust free and somedays she wont cough at all, but when she does it wracks her whole poor little body. Whats your advice?
2) I really would like a nice outdoor enclosure for warm days. I saw what looked like a plastic fencing(kind of like a child's fencing) enclosure in one user's pics. I forget who sorry. anyway could someone give me some safe ideas for this? Thanks everyone.

If I can figure out a weay I'll post their pictures another time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:45 AM

hi ya and welcome!!!! i'm sorry i'm not a bunny owner so i can't help with your questions... i have heard if you make an enclosure though you have to dig very deep foundations so they can't burrow out!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:38 AM

Hello and welcome to pawtalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:42 AM

hello there and welcome.
Do not own rabbits myself so cant help sorry
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:02 AM

It could be your rabbit has hairballs. I give mine dried papaya on occasion to help break them up and digest it. You may want to try that and see if it helps with the coughing.
Welcome to PT!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Welcome . Like Mandie said, your rabbit may have hairballs. I use a child's playpen for my bunnies when they play outside (my mom used to do daycare). They also sell pens in petstores made for rabbits but the ones I've seen for sale around here aren't very large.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Hi everyone I just wanted to thankyou in advance for the advice. I dont if its hairballs only because I never see her bring anything up with the cough, but Im going to try the dried Papaya idea anyway because Im at a loss. As for digging foundations, well my backyard is very tiny so Im going to put this pen up in my mother's yard. She lives very close, but I dont think she'll want me digging. I will keep an eye out for burrowing though and if I notice it I'll get them back in the carrier asap.

Thanks everybody
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 05:40 PM

Red face

Hi and welcome to PT! Look forward to hearing more about you and your bunnies.. I have 4 so I may be able to help you some time.. Regarding your bunnies cough, yes it could be a hairball, as mentioned try the dried papaya or go and see a vet.. The plastic run is quite a good idea, just make sure your bunnies cannot escape..
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Hey all. good news I got an enclosure for my babies. Its not huge or anything but spacious enough for them and I to be in their comfortably if I wanted. We only took Coco today since Sugar was sound asleep the majority of the day and I didnt want to wake her. Coco had a blast though, ate her fill of grass lol and it was nice and breezey-warm weather so she kept drifting off. The enclosure is this tall octagonal metal fence thing. She didnt do any burrowing which surprised, but still it was a nice day.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:09 AM

Rabbits do not have the ability to cough up hairballs. Like rats, they have no "upchuck" reflexes. It is important that you try feeding some fresh pineapple or dried papaya to your rabbit, just to be certain that there are no wool/fur blockages. These will help to dissolve any fur/wool in the digestive track before the blockage becomes fatal. Yes, rabbits can die from hairballs. To prevent future hairballs, make sure your rabbits have plenty of access to hay -- roughage/fibre will also help to push blockages out.

Also, you should be careful when feeding your rabbit fresh grass. Any food with high water content should be fed with caution, as it can upset their digestive systems. Keep an eye on their poos -- if they should become soft or runny, stop feeding everything but hay and a bit of pellets for a while. If the problem doesn't stop shortly (like within a day), you should take them to a vet -- diarrhea is another little problem that proves fatal to rabbits as moisture control is absolutely critical in their diets.

This doesn't mean you cannot let them eat fresh grass, just that you need to be careful they don't eat too much before their systems are used to it.

Glad to hear that Coco enjoyed her time out today.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Ahhh ok thanks I didnt know thata bout rabbits. Our vet (who is supposedly experienced with rabbits) asked if she brought up anything withe cough and if so it could be hairballs. So thats what I was watching for. Ok now that I know I will try a lil pineapple or the dreid papaya. Im assuming dried papaya is anormal produce section purchase? I hope :O) Have to do my homework and go shopping after ork tomorrow.
Yea at first I wasa little concerned about the fresh grass, her poops were a little lighter than usual and just a tad softer at first but now shes pooping regularly so it seems it had no adverse effects.

Thaks for all the info though.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:55 PM

You're quite welcome.

there was a discussion on where to find dried papaya once before... I'm trying to remember if it was here at Paw-Talk or on another forum, lol.

I know that up here in Canada, we can get dried papaya in the bulk food section, however it is highly sugared. I know that there are tablets that you can get from Oxbow that are specifically for pets. Click Here for info on the tablets.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainlily
Ahhh ok thanks I didnt know thata bout rabbits. Our vet (who is supposedly experienced with rabbits) asked if she brought up anything withe cough and if so it could be hairballs. So thats what I was watching for. Ok now that I know I will try a lil pineapple or the dreid papaya. Im assuming dried papaya is anormal produce section purchase? I hope :O) Have to do my homework and go shopping after ork tomorrow.
Yea at first I wasa little concerned about the fresh grass, her poops were a little lighter than usual and just a tad softer at first but now shes pooping regularly so it seems it had no adverse effects.

Thaks for all the info though.
I buy dried papaya at the health food store .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 10:59 PM

Dried papaya can be found in most health food stores and grocery stores with their "organic/health food section". The food I buy for my buns actually has dried papaya in it. Of course, they dig through the bowl to get the good stuff first. you could always make your own papaya if you have a dehydrator. Good luck.

Oh yeah, I think any Latino type of groceria would probably have the papaya as well.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Well since I couldnt find the dried papaya I went witha pineapple and gave her a few small chunks which she loved. There is however a health food store right next to our A&P so on my next trip Im going to pop in there. I suppose I could give her a little variety between the papaya and pineapple. She is fussy though so I was glad she took to the pineapple. Well thanks for those suggestions :O)

Tags
health food store, holland lop