New here - Have Two Rabbits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi - just wanted to introduce myself. I belong to a couple of other bun forums, and this one seems very active. I thougt I'd give it a try!
I have had over 20 years of rabbit therapy - or rather, I've had buns the past 20+ years.
I must admit, I have become addicted to these wonderful creatures, so I am a certified 'Bun-Slave'.
In all, I've had 6 buns over the years. All have been rescues and from very sad, abusive backgrounds.
I presently have two bonded rabbits:
Maggie a Harlequin who has been spayed
and Nick, a Holland Lop - also nuetered.
I will post some pictures of them when I have the time to figure out how!
I am a supporter of the House Rabbit Society, and have gained much knowlege about the care of buns from their website and from it's dedicated members.
I look forward to snooping around, reading the posts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Welcom sfritzp

I'm also on other forums, but since i've found this one, i can't stop but coming back cause ,yes, it is active. I've been here for a couples of weeks and i love it

If you have a website (IE: photobucket) where u hold your pictures, all u have to do is click on the little icon with the mountain and the sun and paste the URL from that site, in the little box that will pop up

Can't wait to see your bunnies, I have two too, but they are my first rabbits and they own me.

Did u get your pair already bonded or you had to bond them?

Have fun
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Welcome to PT!!

I have four house bunnies named Sakura, Stash, Elvis, and Sparkie .

I can't wait to see some pics of your bunnies .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

You will be sorry, because I just recently got a decent digital camera and I practice ALOT on the buns!
Here is Maggie (the Harlie) and Nick (the Lop).

I adopted Maggie last October, and she almost immediately bonded with Nick. I adopted Nick 2 years ago. Here he is in his beloved box:

Why bother buying them toys? They get the most enoyment from boxes and toilet paper tubes...

Here's my pretty Maggie. She looks so innocent, doesn't she?

Well she's NOT!!! What a monster!
But I love her!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

aawww they are so cute!!! I love rabbits
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww! Adorable!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:39 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

= ^ _ ^ =

There is no love quite like Bunny love, wow your bunnies are so Beautiful.

I have two Cabbits umm sorry Rabbits, myself.

= ^ _ ^ = Toky-Ohki is a Black Havana Doe ( Almost 5 yrs now )

=^o^= Schneeball is a Nobbled Chinchilla blue buck. ( 1 yr old )

Jonathan

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

sfritzp, Welcome to Paw-Talk, and thank you for sharing your pictures and stories with us, and I am looking forward to seeing more of your posts. I have two rabbits that I keep outside because keeping them in the house is not an option for me. Dealing with HRS members has not been a good experience for me, as the ones I have met seem to judge all outdoor rabbit owners by the sad cases of outdoor rabbits they have seen in the shelters. I believe that that is like judging all men by the abused women in battered women's shelters, it just doesn't give a balanced or accurate perspective. I hope you will show me the better side of the HRS.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild
Dealing with HRS members has not been a good experience for me, as the ones I have met seem to judge all outdoor rabbit owners by the sad cases of outdoor rabbits they have seen in the shelters. I hope you will show me the better side of the HRS.
Oh No! Such pressure! Only kidding!
Yes, I know that HRSers are pretty adamant about keeping buns inside - and I have to say I agree with that. But - as you say, you can't judge all outdoor rabbit people by some bad experiences. One rabbit I adopted was rescued (by the HRS) from a outdoor hutch. Her name was Checkers - she had snuffles but received no medical care, was never let out of the hutch for 3 years, and was fed only table scraps. But - that was just one case, I have to tell myself. She was, by the way, the most loving rabbit. She didn't seem to hold any grudges against ALL people - so how could I.
Too bad we couldn't all be that forgiving and pure...
On the forums I have been on there are all kinds of rabbit owners - house pets, hutches outside, breeders - as I'm sure there are here. They all bring a different perspective in the care of buns - and for the most part they all show that they do care deeply for the little hairballs whose lives they hold in their hands.
As long as the bun is well taken care of and is happy in their existance, I guess that's what really matters. I try not to be judgemental, because Checkers wasn't.
I would enjoy reading more about your buns - I will snoop around and see if you have a home thread!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chewy, Tasha and Blacky were 4 month old house rabbits living with domestic abuse, all sharing the same up-side-down basket for a cage. I learned of them when the woman asked me for help. Had that not happened, I'm sure they would have died and no one would have ever known. I had Blacky euthanized because his back was broken when I got him, and I know I could not take proper care of him. All one has to do is look at the stats on child abuse to realize that the abuse of house pet is grossly under reported. I believe that outdoor pets have a better chance of being saved because they are often in view of neighbors.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
I believe that outdoor pets have a better chance of being saved because they are often in view of neighbors.
I never thought of it that way - that actually is how Checkers was 'saved'.
Neighbors called the police when they saw that she was sick and it was not being addressed. The police could do nothing (the rabbit was in a sheltered hutch, being 'fed', and snuffles dosen't outwardly appear like a terrible disease) but they contacted the HRS, who pleaded with the owner to give them the rabbit, and they would take care of her. The owner refused. So, the HRS 'stole' her one night out of the hutch. The police agreed to look the other way when it was explained to them the serverity of her illness.
A real covert operation!

So - being outside did 'save' Checkers from spending the rest of her life - which would have been much shorter - in neglect. She lived 4 more years with me - much longer then was expected, because she had alot of lung damage. She had some very rough days, but she was a fighter and we got through them.

Those little guys were mightly lucky to have you come into their lives. Even Blackie died mercifully, and knowing some kindness, thanks to you.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think they do that because they think that people forget a lot more about the rabbit if it's outside... and if the bunny get sick, they don't really see it unless they spend a lot of time outside. plus other animals getting to the hutch or the bunnies getting away

When i adopted mine, the wild life care center came to my house to see if it was ok.... oh god i was stressed.. i don't know why, i had a big cage that my bunny could go in and out,water,toys, hay etc..

But i think they should go a look at the outdoor set up that the person has for the bunny to be adopted.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hey - lets get off the 'inside - outside' topic and talk about buns!!
My buns are real characters.
Nick, I was told when I adopted him, is a 'Ladies Man' - and he certainly is. He has Maggie wrapped around his little paw.
Here he is on his favorite recliner:

He often lays on top of her like that - and she lets him!
Here's my favorite pic of Maggie:

What a face!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Cute pics. I also really like your NIC condo. Is it hard to wash those pads you got at Sam's Club?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Is it hard to wash those pads you got at Sam's Club?
Not at all - I squirt some white vinager on real soiled areas, (Nick has a bit of a 'soft stool then step in it problem' ) let it soak a few minutes, scrub it a bit with a toothbrush, then wipe up with a damp cloth. The pads do not absorb water, so I have also taken them out for a good soaking in the sink when I do heavy duty cleaning.
The dark blue you see in the pics is a yoga pad that I cut and fashioned to fit over parts of the ramp and the elevated areas and cubby holes. They provide great traction and padding to make them comfortable. They are also a breeze to clean, usually just with a damp cloth.
Maggie has chewed on both - but has not swallowed (thank GOD) because I assume they taste TERRIBLE!!! She chews when she's frustrated, and that behavior has been lessening since she has been settling in her happy home here. I give her wood scraps to chew on, and that has lessened her destructive tendencies also...
All in all the pen is a breeze to clean - I have a shop vac that does a quick job of it, as it opens up for easy access.

Tags
holland lop, house rabbit, house rabbit society, house rabbits, rabbit society, table scraps