New here with questions :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Arrow New here with questions :)

Hi all
Hope you don't mine a newbie butting in...

We have what we think are a dwarf rex and a dwarf lop, both about 10-12 wks old. The male is getting neutered soon! We've had the rex 10 days and the lop 3 days and they are inside.

The rex (male) is very curious and outgoing but the lop (female) is not. If we leave her alone with the cage door open she'll come out but will usually just go sit under some furniture. The rex will hop all over and inspect everything.

We've never seen her eat and she will usually stay in the same place in the cage but she is peeing and pooping so I assume she is eating at night.

We brought her to the vet and he thinks she is healthy. Are lop's normally so mellow and lazy?

My other question...the cage I bought has a solid bottom and I'd like to put a grate down - mostly since the lop sits in the pee a lot. I tried searching online for a grate but can't find anything. Anybody know where to find something I can use?

Sharyn
2 girls
2 bunnies
2 dogs
2 horses
1 husband
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Hello Earthling

Welcome to the forum!! I don't know a whole bunch about rabbits but I can give it a shot.

You said that you are getting the male fixed. If I was you I would also get the female fixed as this will help with litter box training, behavior and cancer of the reproductive system.

As for the grate I would suggest against it, because think about it would you like to sit on a grate all day? Try litter training her.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the quick reply!

We'll get the female fixed but since I don't know the age of these bunnies I'll wait a few months to get her done.

I have put a litter box in the cage but they just lay down in it! I have put both soiled betting and "critter litter" in it (together and separately) but they still don't use it as a litter box. And the litter box has a grate covering it but they don't mind sitting on that! But also the cage has 2 shelves (more of a large rat cage?) & I'd make one of those a flat surface so the buns can get off the grate when they want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Hello Earthling

Have you tried putting hay in their litter box? Bunnies like to eat while their doing their stuff.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Adolescent Pup

Welcome to the forums!!!!

The rex (male) is very curious and outgoing but the lop (female) is not. If we leave her alone with the cage door open she'll come out but will usually just go sit under some furniture. The rex will hop all over and inspect everything.

Some rabbits aren't so sociable, and will do this kind of thing. Sunny's like that. She hides under beads, and after being in a room for a while, she goes to another, and starts again. But make sure she doesn't have any injuries, a lot of rabbits can hide an injury real good and that may be why she's secluding herself under furniture.

We've never seen her eat and she will usually stay in the same place in the cage but she is peeing and pooping so I assume she is eating at night.

Sunny's like this too again =]]. Only if she's REALLY hungry will she eat in front of people. Unless she seems lethargic or tired then she should be fine if she's still pooing and peeing.

We brought her to the vet and he thinks she is healthy. Are lop's normally so mellow and lazy?

You may just have a calm bunny on your hands. I wouldn't know because Sunny's a Himalayan/Californian [which ever you prefer] rabbit.

My other question...the cage I bought has a solid bottom and I'd like to put a grate down - mostly since the lop sits in the pee a lot. I tried searching online for a grate but can't find anything. Anybody know where to find something I can use?

I wouldn't suggest a grate. These can hurt rabbit, guinea, etc. feet and cause sores. [Also called sore hocks, you can read about them here.] I say just try and litter train them, it can take time but eventually you can have them both peeing/pooing in a box in the corner, and being able to only have to clean them.
(This is a good video on training, step by step and clear) But of course, you can always google articles on it.

Hope I helped you .

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Rodentologist

If the cage is the size of a rat cage, it's probably not big enough for her. She probably feels like the whole cage is her litterbox.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Its a cage for a BIG rat. Its 30x17" and 28" high with 2 shelves. I'm going to take the litter pan out for a few days & see if they start to use just one area and try again. I'll watch that video too - thanks Frankz. What do you all use for the bottom of the cage and in the litter pan?
Last night after I posted here she hopped out and was all over the room so maybe she just needed more time to adjust to a new home.
This morning she was laying flat out on her side in the cage & scared me but she became active when I took her out. Do any of your bunnies ever lay like that or should I be concerned?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Rodentologist

That's absolutely too tiny for a rabbit. Although it's a good sized rat cage, rats weigh 1/10th of what a rabbit weighs. Rabbits need more horizontal room than vertical room. The base of the cage is only 3.5 square feet -- that's the size we like to use FOR a litter box!

Cube cages or dog exercise pens are really more appropriate to rabbits than these tiny rat cages, which are designed for climbing animals -- rats. We recommend a rabbit cage with a minimum bottom floor of at least 10 square feet (3 times the footprint of your current cage).

This thread on BinkyBunny: https://www.binkybunny.com/FORUM/tab...1/Default.aspx

Has some great pictures of exceptional cages!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Really? The base is as big or bigger than all cages the petstore had that were supposed to be for rabbits. I bought the one I did because it had a metal bottom.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Rodentologist

Unfortunately, pet stores are terrible resources for information on small animals. I don't know of a single "pet store" cage on the market right now that I would use as anything more than short-term housing for rabbits. If I'm thinking correctly of the one you have, does it have a red bottom? I think we used that same cage for our gerbils!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

No, its purple but it may be the same just in a different color. It came with 2 mesh shelves & 2 ramps. My neighbor has a cage like it with rats so I thought that is what it was probably intended for.

I'll show the cubecage info to my husband. I"m a clutz when it comes to building. I've been letting the bunnies out often to roam the room they are in so they aren't confined that much.
They poop on the carpet but I haven't found any pee spots. I'm hoping that means they decided the cage is for peeing...
I know I should have looked around for a better cage before getting the bunnies but we got it all at the same time.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Rodentologist

It's understandable, you sure don't think that a store would sell you something that was wrong for an animal! But if you think about it, rabbits, even dwarf rabbits, will be at least 4-5 lbs when they're fully grown. Very small cats are 4-5 lbs... could you imagine a cat living in that cage? Even a small one?

If you decide not to build, you can also use the dog pens like this one:
http://www.jbpet.com/J-B-Deluxe-Exercise-Pen,271.html

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hmmm thats an idea. Easy to clean - just get the vacuum! I need to think on that because there is no top and we have two huskies that will kill a bunny if it got the chance. They aren't allowed in the bunny's room but even so we need to be careful just in case.