New member, New Bunny! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New member, New Bunny!

Hello, we are DD & KK,
after reading the forums for a bit and finding it very helpful i thought we should sign up and say hello.
We recently got a baby bunny, about 8-9 weeks old, and we called him Joseph Stalin, due to him being all white except his grey ears and a little moustache he has.
Hes a fantastic little bunny who loves to binky and give us lots of kisses.
One thing i did want to ask was about what we call his "bunny smells". Every now and again we get a whiff of the most eveil farty smell that has ever risen from such a small and cute bunny. We wanted to know if these "bunny smells" were normal and if there was a way of reducing them
We figured out that cabbage and spinach made them worse so he now gets less of that
ive attatched a picture of him when we first brought him home in his box, thanksfully hes a bit bigger now as weve had him around a month now. hes loved very much. oh and if anyone can tell what breed he is that would be awesome too. Will get new pics soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby joey.jpg (58.1 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

more pics :)

some more pics of joey and one of snorlax being greedy and living up to his namesake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joey1.jpg (39.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg joey3.jpg (50.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg joey6.jpg (35.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg snorlax1.jpg (46.7 KB, 11 views)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Playful Pup

He is sooooo cute, I squealed, giggled, and clapped my hands together a couple of times.

Linus (my bun) is officially looking at me like I've lost it.

I'm dealing with bunny smells right now myself, but from what I've read, bunny poop should rarely smell. If it does smell, it could be cecaltropes -- the poop they eat to maintain their digestive system. You shouldn't see them because they're usually eaten directly from the anus (kind of gross, I know, but necessary).

It could also be his anal glands. Sometimes they need to be cleaned out because of all the scent hormones and stuff. You could probably check it out and gently clean them with a q-tip and warm water.

You shouldn't feed him cabbage at all. Cabbage can be awful for rabbits -- causes diarrhea (which is devastatingly deadly for a rabbit as young as yours). In general, right now, because he's so young, he should ONLY be eating hay, pellets, and water. Vegetables should only be introduced (one at a time, in small amounts so as not to upset their delicate digestive systems) at 12 weeks of age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Betta Bomb

Exactly a mentioned. Mr.Stalin is SO cute!! The name is a shocker but I like that about him, how can anyone be mad at Stalin now? I never dealt with a baby bunny younger than 4 months or a boy before so I don't know what to say about the smell. When he is old enough (6 mths) have him neutered to make less smell and calmer bunny. A hormone enraged bunny is not a great thing to deal with O.o
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Welcome to paw-talk your bunbun is definetly a cutie!

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Poooooppp!

isn't he too young to be eating veggies? I heard cabbage gives buns bad gas, but he still seems too young to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Betta Bomb

Yes, veggies should be given at 1 year or so. Cabbage is a no-no and spinach is too high in calcium to be fed often, like carrots.
As for the breed, I'd say a hotot mix? That's simply judging on his eye rings, nose spots and colored ears on a full white body.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

hello :)

hello and thank you for all your kind words
he is great even with his evil name

you all have me a bit worried tho. we have been giving him a selection of green foods for a while now. We did have him on some fruity mix but slowly changed to juvanile pellets and he seems to love them. We have been giving him carrots, carrot tops, leattuce.
we tried him with cellery, cabbage, bits of peach, apples, and he will eat a bit of broccali too.
it might have been my neivety about having a rabbit, but we looked at some foods that it was said he was allowed to eat and just gave him some of that (kk is a veggie so he often gets the same mini meal as her)
nothing bad seems to have happened, he seems happy and jumpy, lively and whatnot. i didnt realise it was so serious to not give him greens. just the thought of him eating his pelets and hay all day makes me a bit sad.
there was a lot of mixed messages on the interwebs about what rabbits can and cant eat.
eep

but again thank you, will post some more pics soon of him grown up a little. we love his fat little bum
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Poooooppp!

If you look up any good website, such as the house rabbit society, it basically tells you what baby bunnies should eat, alfalfa based pellets, hay, and water.. and maybe even tymothy hay, no kinds of veggies, it's unhealthy for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Aww your bun is so cute <3
looks like you've already gotten some great advice.. I know the idea of just feeding him basic pellets and hay seems a little boring, but think it the way a newborn (human) baby can only have milk, as healthy as fruits and veggies are, there little tummys just cant handle them until there a little older, cutting them out will prolly help a good bit with any smells.

I know theres alot of conflicting information online, but you have to remember some people make up sites thinking well i fed this to my rabbit once and she didnt die so it must be good for them.

This site has the best most accurate info ive seen so far.
http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html

My Furry Family
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Betta Bomb

Exactly, and I want to add to Jovie's post, alfalfa pellets should be switched to timothy when they reach a year old as well. The extra calcium is okay as they grow up but healthy adults should only get 1/4 cup or so of timothy pellets. Once he gets to be a year old slowly introduce some veggies. Wait a couple days between each new food and then you can go nuts
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Poooooppp!

Purple-Hops, thanks for clarifying! I was aware of it but forgot to mention it.. and now this has brought up a question for me, if I have two buns and they're gonna need to each eat a certain amount of food in a few months (when they turn 1), how am i gonna do it? am I gonna have to set them up on a scheduled meal time?? :/

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

your bunny is so adorable!! Awh so cute! I got benji around 9 weeks, and he was on a strictly pellet and tons of hay diet. I started introducing a tiny bit of carrot around 12 weeks, but other than that he only had his pellets and hay. he is now 6 months, and i cut back on the pellets, and he eats parsely and carrot every few days. But he still isnt on a full veggie diet yet. good luck with your new bun bun

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Hunny Bunny

aaaaawwwwwwwwwww what a cutie. reminds me of my old bunny (rip)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 PM
is a little "special"

OMG, I love that mustache!! I have never seen a bun with a 'stache before. That's amazing.

Your pets have awesome names too, LOL. Stalin and Snorlax.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."

Tags
baby, bunny, smelly