New movie about rabbits! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New movie about rabbits!

Has anyone seen the movie trailer yet on RabbitFever.com? It's an independent film, so any support it receives from rabbit lovers would really help promote how wonderful these animals really are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Betta Bomb

Cool, Ill chekc it later.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah - I watched it. I understand their point, and good for them and all, but I don't agree with rabbit showing... Most rabbits hate being handled as is, and to be handled by strangers is even worse. That's just too much stress. Yes, I imagine show rabbits are bred to be nice and calm and enjoy being patted and stuff like that, but, the fact of the matter still stands that they're prey animals, and huge, massive people swooping down to poke, prod, lift them to their eye level, and poke and prod them some more... I don't get it.

And many of these people were in a rush, and they seemed to be roughly handling the rabbits - one of the judges appeared to be picking up a huge rabbit, by bracing his arms around its rump.

So, maybe I'm biased, and I'm kind of sorry I watched it. *shrugs* I barely agree with showing as is - lots of animals, minus a few breeds of several species, don't like being poked and prodded at by strangers - and what's the point? So people can "oooo" and "aaaahhh"? Seems rather pointless to me honestly - I mean I'm not trying to start a debate, I just think rabbit showing is utterly pointless and honestly rather cruel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh I havent watched it yet.. If its about rabbit showing then you can count me out. Im with you Flickering.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yup - it's about rabbit showing. It starts off with these people saying that there's dog and cat shows...but hardly anyone of the mundane public has heard of rabbit showing. So it kind of follows the "journey" of several younger people, who are getting ready to show their rabbits. When they get to the show, the judge calls over the loud speaker that there's so many minutes until the showing begins, so in a rush these people are roughly handling their own rabbits - checking them over and whatnot - and then shoving them back into their wire travel cages. It goes beyond that with how the judges are handling them, but I won't go into that.

So no, for sure I don't think you'd like it. :/
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 AM
Betta Bomb

Oh no... For starters, ANY showing of animals is all man made perfections and attempts t perfection. A REAL animal in my eyes is one that is alowed to develop naturally. Showing any type of animal is degrading and turns the public from the "less suitable" standards of animals... Hence, OVERPOPULATION as breeders strive for the perfect animal... Its discusting and I will debate it to my grave with anyone who is for breeding and showing.

Thanks Flickering!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Rodentologist

I have to agree, rabbit shows are not the best places for a bunny to be. They're also a cesspool of infection. You should have seen the breeder list I watch a few months ago when people were losing dozens of rabbits to some unknown illness, but still carting all their bunnies off to shows to win some ribbons. Many of them don't even have rabbit vets.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Purple-Hops: I guess, in a way, showing is like today's beauty mainstream: women wearing make-up, having thin bodies, have their hair done... Have you ever seen that tv show, where they doll up little girls and have them walk the runway? They slap makeup on them, and otherwise make them look like "little adults", and send them down the catwalk. I feel bad for them - where's their childhood? Honestly, I think beauty is in its most natural form, same applies for animals. I've heard some horror stories of what breeders who focus on showing animals, have done to offspring that weren't show-worthy. :/

Jennicat: I was thinking about that - all those rabbits packed so close together, and what it could be doing to their health. And then of course you have the judges that handle one, and immediately handle another rabbit right after.

All in all, I couldn't imagine subjecting my rabbit to that kind of torture; you need to have a tight hold on a rabbit or else they'll start kicking around which is dangerous, and that's exactly what those rabbits were doing in the trailer. Those people were too rushed to focus on how to properly hold a rabbit so it won't struggle or kick. :/
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Rodentologist

I can see a purpose for shows for animals to prove an ability. (For example, agility, coursing, tracking, etc). But rabbit shows really are just for beauty, and those standards are so arbitrary. Netherland Dwarfs are plagued with health and tooth problems, but they keep getting produced to win shows.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:01 PM
is a little "special"

I agree... Its just SO pointless! Thats actually how I got Smudge- He wasnt "perfect" enough to be shown. But I dont see a single thing "un-perfect" about him!

I dont mind skill-type competitions, since the animals seem to have fun too when they run the courses. If Smudge was younger, I bet he would LOVE to do agility!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh I seen agility competitions and give Coco his youth back I would totally sign him up on that bc terriers are boundless. Those arent these pointless beauty competitions where the animal has to stand a certain way and look a certain way and behave a certain way :/ They encourage freedom and happiness and sillyness! And no, I never seen those shows with the child beauties but I seen commercials for Tyra and the like. The kids look hideous done up like that! It depresses me. Humans are poison
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 PM
is a little "special"

Ive watched those shows, and the little kids are such brats too! Im SO glad my mom didnt do that too me!
In his younger days, Smudge would have left the competition in his dust LOL. But now that he is older, I would worry about him hurting his little self on jumps and what not. Hes come up with his own obsticle course in my room anyway LOL, and he binkies over his imaginary jumps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My rabbit would be petrified going to a show like that. She's not quite human-tamed, so I think that would be more stressful for her than fun.

I've never actually seen those shows, but my best friend used to watch them - of what I heard from her, I have no desire to watch them - it's unfortunate what people will do to their pets, and their children, and...themselves, in the name of beauty and perfection. As my fiance likes to say: "People are perfect in their imperfections."

Tags
bunny, movie, rabbit