New Owner of a 3 year old buck - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Red face New Owner of a 3 year old buck

Hello! I could use some advice from you all.

Butters was a outside rabbit and now is in doors in a nice, big cage. We want to litter train him and are considering getting him fixed, too.

I brought Butters home on Sunday and it seems he's already bonding with my husband. I think...He loves to hop out of the cage for my hubby and even did a little binky for him yesterday when my hubby came over to say hi after work. Then later that evening during recreation time, Butters decided to hump my husbands leg! LOL. Is that okay? Should we discourage that - is that a domination action?

The main problem at the moment is allll the poo! I cleaned is cage last night, made the area smaller (as recommended), move the litter box to the corner and place food near it. Instead he "reclaimed" the area and poohed on all most every square inch of open space (no pooh in his grass house or the litter box).

He's also pushing the pooh outside the cage! What a stinker...Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

have you considered getting him neutured and then try littre box trainning him just an idea

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

We are looking into getting him fixed, but some folks say he can trained with out being fixed. I figured I could try to start him on the training path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

I'd recommend getting him fixed also. It usually helps to improve litter box habits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Both of your problems sound typical for an intact buck. Definitely get him neutered asap before they become ingrained as habits.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well Butters had a major attitude to my hubby last night. I "dominated" him when he went after my leg yesterday. He was fine after that, but then my husband came home. Butters thumped his foot at him several times and seemed really annoyed by my hubbies presents. What a switch! I'm guessing my husband has been demoted to the lowest bunny in the house and Butters wasn't going to let JM mess with him! I'm getting him neutering appointment today...

Also, Butters is very communicative. He was making a low whining this morning! I was shocked to hear it. After he got his food, he stopped making noises.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Betta Bomb

At 3 yrs old the habits might be a little engrained. Have him neutered then work on training with a clicker or a specific sound (finger snapping) to discourage humping. As for his poops, when he poops outside his litter, sweep them up and place some in the garbage and some on the litter. It may or may not help. He may just enjoy marking his territory. Keeping a pile of hay in the litter box may encourage him to stay around and poop while he eats. Also, keep a second litter box around for outside times.

Tags
bunny, new adoption