new at rabbit breeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

new at rabbit breeding

i was just wandering this was to be my first litter of holland lops and when i checked on my doe she had a dead baby in the nest and no sign of others so i dont know if she ate them or what happened this ones eyes were open as well and i thought they were born with them closed i was just wandering what i should do next time ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Hello Earthling

I don't know what the problem is, but I think it would be better if you did not breed seeing as there is HUNDREDS of unwanted rabbits in shelters.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 04:49 PM
is a little "special"

I would suggest not breeding at all. Where did you get your rabbit(s)? Did you get their pedigrees? Do you know anything about their genetic backgrounds? ALOT more goes into breeding any animals than just sticking a male and a female together. It also puts the female buns life in jeopardy, and she may not live as long because of it.
And like Kayla said, there are tons more rabbits needing homes in shelters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Betta Bomb

Kudos to above. My Akina came from someone who simply got bored of her ( among other things) and there's about 20+ alone on the small animal rescue site -local rescue- now as it is needless to mention the hundreds of thousands unwanted in the country and the world.
If you have the space and time for all these bunnies as you perfect a line- because its an irresponsible thing for breeders to sell off the line, then you should definetly do more research on breeding.
Just my opinion.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

please dont breed or buy when millions of great rabbits in shelters DIE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with the above posters.
Also if you need to ask questions like that,then you simply are not knowledgeable enough to breed and need alot more research.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

everybdy has questions their first time around being a mother or animal owner i have learned it is better to ask then to do nothing at all if anyone has any experiance with this situation i would appreciate any input not criticizem for my choice for to learn you must gain experiance as with anything you do!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

The best answer to your question is the answers given, The best thing you can do next time is choose not to breed her. She will live a much happier longer life if you have her spayed.

My Furry Family
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuchino View Post
everybdy has questions their first time around being a mother or animal owner i have learned it is better to ask then to do nothing at all if anyone has any experiance with this situation i would appreciate any input not criticizem for my choice for to learn you must gain experiance as with anything you do!
Many of us feel like it's unwise to gain experience at the risk of an animal's well being.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yes, it's good that you're asking questions. But unfortunately, everyone gave you answers: it's better not to breed. Here are some reasons:

-There's already an overpopulation of pet rabbits
-It's difficult to find homes for baby rabbits, especially because they have such large litters. I see free baby rabbits on craigslist and in the newspaper almost every day and they get re-posted
-It's dangerous for the mother. It's not unusual for there to be complications, especially if the mother is young and/or it's her first litter. These complications can result in the death of the kits and sometimes the mother herself (I've known of several rabbits that died while or right after giving birth).
-If you're breeding rabbits, you can't get them fixed. Unfortunately for your does, this means a very short lifespan. Does that aren't spayed have a very high chance of developing uterine cancer--often by the time they're four. The males don't have as big of a cancer risk but I can tell you right now that intact bucks are NOT pleasant to live with in most cases! They spray like cats, are nearly impossible to litterbox train, and some can be aggressive.

The other problem is that it sounds like you have two rabbits that you don't know the genetic background of. That's never a good idea, who knows what kinds of genes you're passing on to the kits? Responsible breeders don't stick random rabbits together, each breeding is carefully planned out based on genetics. Honestly, poor genetics could be why you lost the kit.

I'm sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear. You seem to like rabbits and probably want to raise babies, right? Have you considered fostering/rescuing a pregnant doe or even one that's nursing? Rescuing rabbits is really rewarding and a lot of fun, too .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Betta Bomb

Kudos And that covers both sides of the argument
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuchino View Post
I am new to the breeding process too. I understand how many of you are passionate about shelter rabbits, and if they are strictly pets then I would recommend looking for a shelter rabbit as well. However, there are many people who show rabbits and if you do that you must breed in order to improve the genetics.

I would suggest that you become a member of the Holland Lop Rabbit Specialty Club as well as the ARBA. There is a wealth of info in their books. Also, there is a yahoo group for Holland breeders/owners. We are awaiting our first litter right now and for us it is a family effort. I do know that many problems can occur especially for a first time mother. I've read that many times it's due to a small birth canal but subsequent pregnancies have a better success rate. With dwarf breeds you have a chance of the double dwarf gene (peanuts) that is fatal. I would say do more research and find a group online (there are a few on facebook as well) Good-Luck!

Tammie
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

The original posted started this topic in 2009 and I don't think has been around much since so I doubt they will be around to see any further discussion.

Tags
dead kit