New Rabbit Coming This Weekend - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

New Rabbit Coming This Weekend

Well today i was checking out an ad site and saw a lady that run's a rabbitry pretty close to where i live so i checked out her site on the for sale and i saw this adorable 6 month old lionhead buck. It's been awhile since i have had any small animals let alone a rabbit so thought i would email her and ask her about him well i am getting him on friday he's $35 dollars which includes a pedigree which i can not wait to get him. He's a tri-color lionhead buck born june 1st 2008 so he is six months old. I had a rabbit when i was quite young so can't remember alot of the things i will need i know he will need a large cage he's going to be quite small she said and is only two pounds now, bedding, something to sleep in, dishes, food and some things to chew on. Is there anything else i am missing? I will hopefully be getting some more pictures tomorrow as he's multing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Be sure to check out www.rabbit.org - The House rabbit society website.

Hopefully you have some money saved up to get him neutered, because at 6 months old he's already old enough to have it done. You should try to find a rabbit savy vet now, before hand so that if anything ever happens and he needs a vet you already know where some are. When a bunny gets sick they can start to go downhill very quickly, sometimes getting them to a vet quickly really is a matter of life and death.

Get him some toys (other then things to chew), some of them don't like them but some of them love them. The bigger the cage the better, he may be small but smaller rabbits are usually more hyper and need more space to run around. Either get something that doesn't have a wire bottom, or get something to cover some of the wire. Standing on wire bottom cages constantly can hurt their feet.

Also, pick up a litter box if your planning on litter training him - and don't forget plenty of hay! If your going to feed him pellets, make sure you get a good quality of pellets only - those foods with things mixed in like corn and seeds and such arn't good for them. The breeder should give you some of the food he's use to eating, so you can slowing introduce him to his new food. Introduce him to new fruits/veggies/treats slowly, so he doesn't get an upset tummy.

Also, since he's a lionhead, I would get him a good brush. I have to brush my lionhead everyday to keep him from getting mats in his fur.

Hmm...that's all I can think of right now. But definatly check out that site when you have time. It's really been helpful for me with my rabbits Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks i will check that site out. I was planning on getting him neutered as soon as i can let him settle in a bit then find someone who will neuter him. Is it pretty easy to find a rabbiy savy vet? I am taking my cat into a vet to get spayed friday so i will ask if they have had experience with rabbit's before. What kind of toys would you suggest? I was thinking of getting him a large to extra large cage incase if he does grow a bit more as his mom is on the big side compared to his dad. I was going to get a plastic bottom cage i do not like those wire bottom cages. Is it easier to litter train them? i never litter trained my old rabbits. I will be stocking up on alot of hay, food and shavings. On her website you get your rabbit with a small bag or sample of his food but also will be asking her when she emails me today. I do have an old brush from a long haired guinea pig i fostered so hopefully i am able to find that. Thank you very much that was all very helpful and i can't wait to get my little boy. I do have a picture of him from the site as well as his parents but the pictures are on the small side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cutie.jpg (40.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Hiedi.jpg (48.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Jiminy.jpg (55.0 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Cute rabbits

As for finding a vet, it is more difficult than finding a cat/dog vet. You'll have to take him to a vet who has experience with rabbits because there are some medications that are fine for other animals but deadly to rabbits, and they can also be very sensative to anethesia, as well as have some unique possable medical problems that dog/cat vets might not be aware of. You want to make sure your vet knows what he/she is doing. On that site I gave you, if you check the vet section you can find lists of rabbit vets by area and also a list of questions that you should make sure your rabbit vet knows the correct answers too.

My rabbit looves toys. I get him things like chew toys, but then he also loves willow balls, baby keys, stuffed animals...things like that. You can give him old cardboard boxes to play in and chew on and old phone books to rip up. Diffrent rabbits like diffrent types of toys, so you'll have to figure out what he likes.

A lot of rabbits, once they are fixed, will pretty much litter train themselves. All you usually have to do is supply them with a litterbox and put hay in the box, because rabbits like to multitask and eat and do their buisness at the same time Don't worry, they won't eat any of the hay they go to the bathroom on.

Be careful what type of shavings you use - some of them have been shown to cause kidney problems and respiratory infections.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Adolescent Pup

As Dragonrain said, definitely find a vet who knows rabbits. Don't just assume that a good dog/cat vet will be able to handle other animals, because it's usually not true.

Also, there are particular types of litter that are very good for bunnies. The web site Dragonrain gave you (rabbit.org) has lists of that, as well as recommendations for veggies and stuff to give to bunnies, and lists of rabbit-savvy vets by area. Definitely a great web site!

I'm surprised to hear anyone considering the possibility of NOT litter training their bunny. It's so easy that I can't imagine why you wouldn't. Flash picked a spot outside his cage that he liked to pee, so I put a litter box down on that spot and bribed him with treats to jump into the box 2-3 times per day for a week. Now, that box is one of his favorite places in my apartment to hang out, and he doesn't pee or poop anywhere else outside his cage.

He also has a litter box inside his cage, though he occasionally leaves one or two poops in other parts of the cage, just to make sure everyone knows that the entire cage is his territory. For instance, there's a shelf in the cage, and one or two poops always appear on it within an hour of me cleaning the cage. But then if I leave them there, he doesn't drop any more up there until the next time I clean them up. So it's definitely a territory thing, not a litter training problem.

As for toys, as Dragonrain said, different buns have different preferences. For instance, I got Flash a set of hard plastic baby keys, because someone here (possibly Dragonrain) said their bunny loved them. Flash just moves them out of his way because they annoy him, then goes back to happily ripping apart old phone books and cardboard boxes, which are his favorite toys.

--Fromper
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Part of the Pack

These people seem to have covered it. I'd reccomend vitamins though. And "yesterdays news" cat litter works great for bunny litter. It's safe and cheap.

give your love no matter what.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I did check out the site and looked at the vet's and found one that is quite close to me. Is it still ok if they take all different animals? I also went to the petstore yesterday and got a nice large cage it's got a wire bottom which is what i didn't want but they only had that or small guinea pig cages so i will be putting alot of newspaper or something down before the shavings so his little feet don't get hurt. So i bought natural pine shavings, just pellet food, ceramic food dish, alfalfa and timothy hay and carrot chews but i was stupid enough to totally forget a hiding place and a hay rack. I felt so bad for all the bunnies they had all stacked up on top of each other and one had tipped his hiding place and was going crazy so i ended up just sticking my hand in and turing it around since the poor boy/girl was running back and forth and it was discusting on how they kept the water it wasn't even clean and had alot of shavings. I might after my bunny get's settled see if my fiancee will let me get the one that i stuck my hand into the cage. Also need help with some name's for the little boy. I am getting excited i am going to pick him up tomorrow woohoo
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't use the pine shavings. Cedar and pine shavings are toxic to small animals. Unless it's kiln dried pine shavings, I wouldn't recommend you use it.

http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

It's natural pine bedding and litter. Thats what i got told by the rabbit breeder that i am getting him from.

Tags
lionhead, new rabbit