Newbie Rabbit Owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Talking Newbie Rabbit Owner

I just got my rabbit last night, and I love her already, she is awesome, during her floor time today, she was investigating everything. I am not sure if her previous owner let her out of her cage, cause at first she was not sure, but now she jumps around and has a good old time. I think I am going to like having a rabbit. I am not sure what sex she is so I just call her a she. lol.

Any tips would be great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family.
Dwarf Hamsters: Pride, Joy, Faith(aka cow bags), Phillip(aka grumpy)
Syrian Hamsters: Perdy +11 Babies
Guinea Pigs: Pearl + Roxy
Rabbit: Bubble

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awww she's a cutie!!! congrats!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Rodentologist

Check out rabbit.org, it's a great resource for house rabbit owners. We're also pretty lucky in this area because we have a lot of rabbit savvy vets. Your bun will need to be spayed or neutered!

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Check out rabbit.org, it's a great resource for house rabbit owners. We're also pretty lucky in this area because we have a lot of rabbit savvy vets. Your bun will need to be spayed or neutered!
Agreed. Don't think that you shouldn't spay/neuter just because she's the only rabbit in the house. Aside from the obvious pregnancy issues, they can also have health issues (cancer!) if they're not spayed/neutered, especially the females.

Just be sure to go to a vet that specializes in rabbits. Most vets only know dogs and cats, and rabbits are different enough that it's a major problem. I've heard that a lot of rabbits die when non-rabbit vets try to neuter them and treat them the same way they'd treat a dog or cat.

--Fromper
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I had to neuter Teddy. When he was found he was a fully grown rabbit. When I got him he was so frustrated. He could not do anything for more than a minute and then he was back to chasing the cats. He only had access to the cats at that point. He had his mind on one "thing" and that only. It was sad to watch him. I could tell how sweet he was but he just kept trying to get one "thing". It took some time for him to "calm down" after the neuter. Now he is so much happier. He still gets urges but they are infrequent and he can actually play now.
As for girls - I would never take the chance of not having them spayed. I have heard too many stories of buns too young buns passing away. A woman at work lost two girls. The vet was sure the one bun had cancer. The other bun - she passed before they knew she was ill. We are not sure about her.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I am not sure what gender she is, but I know she doesnt try and hump my piggies during floor time. I will look into the spaying thing. Thanks for the advice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Rodentologist

I wouldn't really recommend letting your bunny and piggies share floor time. Rabbits can accidently hurt a big very easily, even simply by being happy and binkying around. We've unfortunately seen our fair share of guinea pigs and rabbits who were "best buddies" up until the pig was kicked into the wall by the rabbit and paralyzed or killed.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 PM

Awwe, how come I can't see the picture? All I can see is a box with a red "x" in it. Can everyone else see it? Is it my computer?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I can see the picture.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I can offically say he is a boy!! I like him he is fun. he really likes the blanket i gave him, he likes to digg in it and fluff it up, I also added some toys, like the hanging type with bells and chewy wood on them and he likes those too. he runs around my upstairs room most of the day, and goes in his cage at night. (its rabbit proof!)

My Furry Family.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

Congrats! Its fun when you get a new bunny!
You asked for tips. Do you need any specific tips? I've had two rabbits in my time. Thumper (who unfortunately passed away due to internal problems) and Ruby (who is about 6 months old). I know a lot about rabbits. If you have any questions just message me. Chances are I know the answer =]

Good luck with her/him!!

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot