Next question - Cage bottom - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Next question - Cage bottom

Sheesh I've used my vacuum more in the weeks since we got these bunnies than I have the entire year! But I think I finally figured out how to keep the bunny mess IN the cage - the hay bowl is in a cardboard box and I put cardboard lining around the litter boxes.
I couldn't find corrogated plastic in big sheets anywhere around me so I got a piece of lineoleum to use for the bottom (of a dog playyard) but Coco (girl mini-lop) is a clutz and its slippery for her. Would it be ok to stick those non-slip bathtub sticky things down? I wouldn't have any idea how to find out what glue they use or if it is toxic. Or do any of you have any other suggestions for making linoleum non-slip?
Now I just have to figure out how to make a top to keep Oreo from jumping out! I'm hoping my husband will volunteer to make something. It has to be light enough for my kids to be able to move it off without hurting themselves or anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:55 PM
is a little "special"

For traction in Smudges cage, I use a small indoor/outdoor rug. It works really well for me! The fibers are really short on it so its a little harder to destroy, but Smudge isnt much of a chewer anyway.

For the top of Oreos pen, I know some people just use a tarp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

A rug is a good idea.
I didn't want to use a tarp for the cover because the fan in there is on a dresser to keep cords out of reach, and a tarp would block most of the air flow. And they need a fan cuz the door has to be shut to keep the dogs out so the a/c isn't as effective in there. Anyway I had a brainstorm and I figured out how to make a top out of the cube-grid squares. If I overlap them they don't flex (that's my one flash of genius for this year ). I'm making 2 panels out of 9 squares each. Only each pack comes with 8 of the smaller grid squares so I need to buy another pack to finish it. Oreo is in the old (regular) cage inside the playyard at the moment anyway because I had to keep him and the female apart until they are nutered & spayed. He decided it was time for some bunny fun so I had to separate them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 PM
is a little "special"

The cubes are a good idea!
I didnt mean cover the whole cage with a tarp- just the very top, and cut off the rest. Im glad you worked something out though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, I know you meant just the top, but since the fan is above the cage any solid top would block it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Part of the Pack

I am trying stair tread tape right now. It is tape with a sand paper feel to to top. I had seen it on wooden wheel chair ramps and thought I'd give it a try. Molly attempted to chew it off at first but now they don't seem to notice it. It really helps for traction for our bunnies to hop up to the next level of their cage. It is difficult to wipe over though...I have to use a scrub brush when it gets dirty.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Playful Pup

My bunny likes bath towels on the bottom of her cage.

----------------------------------------------

-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy