Nipping - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Nipping

What is the best way to stop a rabbit from nipping? One of my foster's nips me. I am sure she is just being playful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you're sure it's playful, I would use "rabbit speak". When she does that, turn around and ignore her to show her that you're displeased. You could also try making a noise but I haven't found that to deter them long-term (as opposed to puppies, for example, that sometimes stop if you make a yelping noise).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh hmm, Akina came to as an attention nipper. If she wasn't enjoying constant attention she would nip to remind you she was there. (Her old home gave her no attention so its understandable behavior but only so much you can take!) How I stopped it was to ignore the behavior. When she nipped I said "NO" and left her alone for a few seconds, or stood up. As with puppies and kids if they recieve no attention for whatever theyre doing then they'll get bored and try something else. !! Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

She usually does it when I am sitting on the floor and she is in my lap. She tries to dig with her paws on my leg, then grabs my jeans with her teeth, and gets my skin with it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

One of my old rabbits did that when he wanted me to move out of his way, or wanted me to put him down. If I was sitting on the floor and he wanted me to move, he would nip me. Or if I had him on my lap and he wanted to get down, he'd nip and dig at my leg to let me know he had enough. Can she get off your lap if she wants too? Maybe it's her way of letting you know she wants to get down?

If not, and it seems playful then I'd agree with what the others said already - every time she does it I'd put her down on the ground and ignore her for awhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Adolescent Pup

My bunny Jaedah used to do that...she would circle my legs like a cat..then if I didn't reach down and rub her head she would grab my pants with her teeth and pull...and usually got skin...I would scream and it did scare her, but she would just keep doin it....If she didn't stop I would leave her area--I eventually figured out that she was lettin me know what she was in need of some lovin...I would get out her slicker brush and she would stretch out in front of me and let me brush her down for a while...when she got her fill she would run to her cage to eat and leave me alone lol
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Betta Bomb

Circling is a classic domination behavior! ^^ Same as nipping I had to stop Akina from doing it- I just either backed into a corner so she couldn't circle me or walked away.

Tags
biting rabbit