no poos? help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

no poos? help

we cleaned our rabbit cage this morning, around 8.30am and its now 2:30 pm and theres no rabbit poos in there, how could this be? hes still eating, so you think hes sick?

Last edited by Angelnstuff; 05-24-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 04:09 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

he may be eating his poo - which is totally healthy - but keep an eye out, if he's not pooing than he may have some kind of obstruction and will need to see the vet immediately

if you are still unsure after watching him for a little while, call the vet... with a rabbit it is definitely better to be safe than sorry
good luck with your bun! i hope it turns out nothing is wrong
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

usually if they stop pooping they soon after stop eating, and that needs emergancy vet care.
at this point i would give the bunny some wild grass and plenty of hay. if the rabbit has some hair caught keeping it from pooping fresh pinapple juice will help alot. also if the belly feels tight maybe it has gas. they make a childrens gas medicain that is safe for rabbits. if you are interested i can go find my bottle and tell you the name.
but of course if you are worried take it to the vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

we took him to the a vet, he said he thinks its jus a bit of an upset tummy? and he gave us something called Endosorb Tabs and told us to crumble half of one in his food twice a day. and said call him if theres no change by the weekend. it was horrible tho he took like a stool sample.. ive never heard such a horrid scream my poor baby, i think that scream will haunt me forever...
altho, im very happy to know he came running to me for comfort, but still my poor baby.. on a brighter note, we found out that he is for sure a male, which i kinda figured. and when we were on our way out i kinda mentioned having him fixed, and the vet was like what for? makes me wonder a bit.. he said he wound do it, but he would wait till hes like 9 months old. the fact that he didnt seem to see a reason to have him fixed kinda makes me wonder. maybe we should find a different vet? we went to this one today cuz he was the first one we called that said they've seen rabbits before, but i think we might keep looking.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

a stool sample shouldnt had hurt like that at all.
and i cant believe he wants to waith until he is nine months to do a nueater!
NEW VET ALERT!!!!
but im glad to here you got him to a vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
a stool sample shouldnt had hurt like that at all.
and i cant believe he wants to waith until he is nine months to do a nueater!
NEW VET ALERT!!!!
but im glad to here you got him to a vet.
I agree. Time to look for a new vet.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Jewels - I am glad you said that it's normal for them to eat their poo. I knew it was normal to eat the night feces but when I first go Tabatha she ate almost all of her poo! I had really though rabbits didn't go much! Boy I was wrong. I thought that maybe she had done this b/c she was starving when she was out on her own. She doesn't do it anymore. And there is a ton of poo in her enclosure. That brings me to another question. In january and february she used her litter box for her pee. Now she won't use it at all. I have tried everything. I switched litter, I made the box bigger, I am already putting her hay in it. I even put toys and cheerios in it and she won't go in. I have been wondering if it's b/c she is so unsteady on her feet that it's hard for her. I did cut the side of the box down so she could hop in and out easier. It would be so much easier for me and nicer for her (and my cats that love to lay in her enclosure) if she would use her litter box! I keep telling her she could have a lot more freedom if she used it but she seems to just want to be a dirty bunny!
Any suggestions?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 01:54 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

she probably hadn't been eating well on her own and when you started feeding her good stuff her instincts kicked in telling her to get the rest of the nutrients out of what you gave her so she could regulate her system

the way that i have trained my buns is by a book that i got. try keeping her confined to an enclosure or cage (approx 2' x 4') with enough room for her litterbox and room for her to stretch out. put some of her poopie balls in the litterbox and if she pees on paper or you clean it up with a paper napkin, put that in the litterbox to help her get the idea of what it's for - of course take her out to run around and play, but for the most part leave her in the enclosure. when she starts getting the idea you can give her a little more room and so on and so forth. but if she pees outside of the litterbox after you give her more room, go back a step and take away a little space until she starts using the litterbox again. be sure to spray any accident sites with white vinegar (it works better un-dilluted), this will keep her from going to that same spot again because the vinegar destroys the urine and smell.

after the first step, the others go pretty quick. she may even get the hang of it in just a few days. be patient and try not to scold - it's like potty training a little kid, accidents happen. Charlie has been potty trained for 3 years, but if he gets really startled he'll still let loose a few stray poopies every now and then - but those are super easy to clean up. even though both Charlie and Daisy have the run of their room, their litterboxes and food dishes are still in their original "enclosures" (their cages) just in case there is ever a time that they have to be closed up - like if my husband and i go away for a few days and we don't want to come home to some way-too-curious bunnies, that way their stuff is in the same place door closed or open.

good luck with Tabatha!

Last edited by jewels; 05-26-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Tags
food dishes, litter box, potty train, potty trained, potty training, rabbit cage, vet care