normal body temperature? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

normal body temperature?

I've been grooming Horatio, and noticed that he's pretty warm. I know how warm all of that fur is, but his coat is fairly thin right now. I took a thermometer and held it between his ears, because they were really hot, and I got 102.9, which from a quick google search, is the high end of normal. Its summer, but he lives indoors, and the air conditioner is almost always on, in fact, I'm freezing in here! He's a little overweight, maybe thats contributing to it? I have had a hard time managing his weight, he was chubby when I got him, then I switched his food, and he slimmed down, but its been fluctuating ever since. Should I be worried that he's warm? I could try to get him to the vet tomorrow, but thats going to cost me a fortune... I don't want to take him if its normal, but if I have to, I will. Barbie is just fine, she is in the cage right next to him, so if he were sick, she would be, too. I think its just the fur and the weight, but I want more opinions.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

I think he's ok - as long as he's not showing any symptoms of being sick I wouldn't worry too much. Plus I think I remember reading that rabbits lose heat from the inside of their ears because of the blood vessels there and because theres not as much fur there - maybe that's why you got a slightly high reading taking it from his ears.

If I were you I would just moniter him and take him to the vet if he stops eating or appears to be sick. Remember, not all humans have a normal temperature of exactly 98.6*F - it could just be that his normal temp is on the high end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I know they lose heat from their ears, but I still panic sometimes. losing my hamster unexpectedly is making me very paranoid, I can't deal with losing another pet right now, so I'm just being overly cautious. He eats plenty, and drinks plenty. I'll just keep an eye on him, I guess. He's usually a bit warm, but I don't remember him being quite as hot as he is now.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Can you take his temp the way the doctors do? That would give you the best reading. I have always chickened out when I tried to do it to the dogs and cats so I could not imagine doing it to a bunny. Maybe you could call the vet tomorrow and ask the normal ear temperature of a bunny. I was very surprised at how hot Penelope's skin was on her tush. She molted all the fur off her tushie and it was rather bald. I make sure my hands are not too cold when I pick her up now.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny