not pooping today - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

not pooping today

ryo hasnt pooped today!!! she has ate... but not pooped. i gave her some speriment.... didnt help.
i just put in some kale. i read from the house rabbit society that most rabbits can fix this themselfs with leafy greens. any more ideas on what to try. if there is no poop tomorrow she is going to the vet!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

does this sound like GI stasis to you?
she isnt eating nearly as many pellets as she was
she is eating lots of hay
her poop slowed down more and more
now she hasnt pooped all day (but she is still eating)

if there is no poop in the morning she is going strait to the vet!!!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 PM

She could have a hairball in her stomach. Unlike cats, rabbits cannot cough them up. No matter what the reason is, you need to take her to a vet ASAP! Rabbits need to poo regularly or their life can be in mortal danger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

she pooped a TON! i fed her a bowl full of kale.. and she pooped alot!!!
but yeah, i would say she still needs a vet... just so i know what exactally happend. perhaps kale etc sould be in her daily diet? tonight was the first time she ever had any leafy greens. she is 4-6 months old but i have only had her for about 2
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

this is no good...
she stoped pooping again. the kale no longer made her poop. so i called the emergancy vet. he told me to get some cat laxitive/hairball remedy. i went and got some. i gave it to her... she pooped
but today... no poop, and i gave her some laxitive... and thats not even working now.
she is still eating, she doesnt seem in pain, however she seems uncomfortable. she is definally going to the vet tomorrow. i have 130$ saved up in my pet emergancy fund. i talked to the vet about what they may do. he is talking x rays and lab work. i dont think i will have enough! i talked to him about payment plans and he said PROBABLY NOT. he told me to bring her in monday and they will see what they can do.
if he will not see her i do have one other vet that may. in such a small excluded town i dont have very many choices for a rabbit vet.
poor Ryo i dont want her hurting
muchless dead
she is my little princess.
surely they will try to do something for her!!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Here are some articles on stasis for you:
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/art...stasis_pet.htm
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html
http://www.mybunny.org/info/gi_stasis.htm

Best of luck.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It sounds like some kind of blockage to me, like a hairball or something that she ate that she shouldn't have eaten.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

but she did pass poos last night.
she didnt eat anything like.... carpet since
and i brushed out her hair.
we will see at the vet tomorrow. i will definally tell everyone whats up.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 07:48 PM

before you do x-rays and lab work and stuff i'd make sure the vet checked her back molars. i had the same exact problem with my rabbit- she would go and then not go until her droppings got REALLY small and she was no longer eating. i kept thinking because she was passing some droppings and eating lots of hay that she was getting better. but then she stopped eating altogether and wasn't passing anything at all.

so- at that point i brought her into the emergency vet. it turned out that ALL of her back molars were jagged and digging into her mouth so she couldnt eat without feeling pain! i felt awful! so now i have to bring her into the vet every 6 months to have them ground down. i got her from a pet store and my vet said that she has an abnormality with her teeth that she sees a lot with pet store rabbits. i don't know why...

so anyway- i'm sure your vet will check her back teeth anyway but just in case i thought i'd share my experience.

good luck with Ryo.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks. i hope there is no need for x rays and lab work. i mean, if i wasnt scared they wouldnt work out a payment plan with me SURE go for it just in case.
i am going to say something tot he vet about it.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

how much do you think it would be anyway for x rays lab work and possible meds.
ya think $130 would cover it? (i doubt it)
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

call 'em and ask how much they think it would be.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:07 PM

it might cover it. i've never had my rabbits x-rayed but i did have my rat x-rayed last year and i think the whole bill for him was $132. he didn't have bloodwork done- but the visit, x-rays, and meds were $132 altogether. i'm sure it would be about the same for a rabbit- they are both smaller animals, but i could be wrong.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:14 PM

oh yeah! one more thing- also when i brought my rabbit to the emergency vet, the vet gave her a shot of something that gets their insides working again. i guess it pushes the blockage or whatever is in there through the rabbit's system. plus, she got fluids and her teeth ground down. all of this cost $80- and that was an emergency visit- regular hours visits run from $40 to $60. that's how it is here anyway.

i have to say i doubt your vet will do bloodwork and x-rays before trying all of the other options i just mentioned. so i think you'll be fine with $130.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

that is a relife. i hope it will be enough and i hope everything works out.
i fed her some spearamint. she will eat that, kale, mustard greens, and fresh grass from outside. but still no luck with her eating anything else or pooping yet.
she should be fine until the morining.... ya think?

Tags
emergency vet, house rabbit, house rabbit society, litter box, local pet store, mini lop, mini lops, mustard greens, pet store, rabbit society, timothy hay