Oliver has a new home! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Oliver has a new home!

Hey all,

I've not been on in a while because life has been extremely busy. Not long ago I bought a house, Oliver, Doris, Roy and I all moved across town, and it's been great having our own yard; no worries about pesticides and such. Oliver has had a great time running around his x-pen, and it's been fun to watch him acclimate to the outdoors, if only for a couple of hours.

As the subject line suggests, I'm writing because as of this past weekend, Oliver has a new home. As many of you know, I inadvertently ended up with Oliver; never having owned a bunny, not really understanding it completely, but he needed a new home as his owner had lost her job, had two kids, etc, etc. It was your typical re-homing story; life got busy/messy, and so that's how I ended up with Oliver.

This forum has been an invaluable source of information, and luckily I found it pretty early on. Although I knew I wasn't the perfect place/home for Oliver having read so many of your posts- not a lot of space, and no chance of ever having another bunny friend - I also knew that he was well cared for, loved and would always have food, toys, treats and vet care if needed.

That said, a few weeks ago, one of my friends told me about one of her friends whose male bunny had just passed away. I've never tried to re-home Oliver, but have always been open to the idea of placing him with the right person, in the right home. Long story short, On Friday, Oliver traveled one mile from home to his new home, complete with bunny bedroom and a new bunny friend.

The person who adopted Oliver has owned house rabbits for about 10 years - her male rabbit died at the age of 10. She adopted a female rabbit about 4 years ago, and they eventually bonded. Her female rabbit has been extremely distressed since her male bunny passed, so she was actually in the process of trying to find a pleasant sort of low key male rabbit, with whom her female rabbit might bond.

Her female rabbit lives in what was supposed to be the guest bedroom - there's actually no bed or anything, just bunny paradise, instead. Not only will Oliver have a new friend, at least eventually, he'll also have an entire room to hop about, never having to be caged again unless he prefers it; I couldn't be happier.

I want to thank you all of the advice you've provided over the last 7 or 8 months or so - this forum is great and I tell everyone about it; I'd have been a little panicked without the advice I receive here. Though I won't be using this forum any longer, I've just found myself with a few mice, never cared for them before, so I'll be around there, and maybe on the dog/cat forums, too. Jess, I think I saw you on the mouse/rat forum, so hopefully I'll see you around.

Thank you all very, very much - I'll definitely miss participating in all the great discussions, but am so, so happy for Oliver.

Hopefully I'll get to visit him soon, and if you'd like, I'll let you know how he's doing.

See you around,
Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roy, Oliver and Doris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Betta Bomb

Hi Max,

I'm glad you found what you were looking for here on Paw Talk We were more than happy to help you with Oliver. I'm sad to see him and you leave but I understand. I'm also happy that you were able to find him a little girlfriend in a great new home.

In the meantime, Paw Talk's *ahem* doors are always open to you should you run into another pet, planned or not, and if you need somewhere to go to talk about Roy and Doris Bless.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:35 PM
is a little "special"

Aww, it sounds like he found a wonderful home! I'm glad that PT helped you so much.

I don't have mice or rats, so I'm not usually on that forum, but I post there occasionally I guess. (:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'm really excited for Oliver. I was very worried that I would be sad; but a day or two before he was supposed to leave, I sat alone with him, just took some time to be thoughtful about all of it, as opposed to completely emotional. He's such a good bunny - I've really enjoyed getting to know him, but I have no doubt he'll be very happy in his new home. And the distance will make it easy for me to check in with him from time to time.

Jess - I just happened to see your avatar there when I was scrolling through some pictures; the mice weren't planned, but have certainly provided a proper amount of distraction, which was needed in Oliver's absence.

Hopefully I'll see you all around. It seems like all of us, first and foremost, are animal lovers... so who knows what forum I'm headed for next!

Roy, Oliver and Doris.

Tags
companion, re-home, re-homing