One bun + one bun= Too may buns!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Question One bun + one bun= Too may buns!!!

Howdy! I have a rather long, and odd story, and I'm in need of some help.
Well, just under two months ago we went for Sunday drive. We live rather rural, so it's quite easy to go very far and not really get anywhere close to any big towns. Anyway, on the way back home we were driving up a rather narrow winding country road and only about 5 miles from her house, we stopped examined a new county line sign they have put up. It moment, two white spotted rabbits came hopping over the small mound that the sign was stuck into, and everyone just sat there in stunned silence for minute, before my dad said his now immortal words "Get them!"...

You see, white rabbits around here about as common as hair on a frog, and it was immediately obvious that they were not wild rabbits.
It was pitifully easy to catch them, the poor things were obviously dehydrated and hungry but otherwise in good condition. We mean them after the county sign that we found them under, Newton and Carol. For the first few days of their existence with us they lived in a very large box, then we got them both the proper rabbit cages and such. Now this point we were under the assumption that Newton was a male, and Carol was a female because of.... certain activities that males and females do. And Newton was of a bigger size and build then Carol. I know we should've taken them straight to the vets, but money doesn't grow on trees around here, in fact it's a little bit hard to come by right now. Anyway, to make a long story short it soon became apparent the Carol was very pregnant.... so, on we provided her with a box with nesting material that she progressed along, and on Good Friday morning, she delivered seven little baby rabbits......

This whole-time Newton was going crazy, so that afternoon my sister took him out for a brush off (which Newton adores) to try and calm him down... well, the instant Newton hit the floor he sat there for minute, and then scrambled away frantically.. and where he had been sitting just a moment before was a baby rabbit! Yup, we were way wrong about the gender of Newton... so we immediately rushed her back to her cage, and put a box with some nesting material in it in their... I have to say, Newton must've been a Marine in a former life... she "pitched tent" in under five minutes, whereas it took Carol almost 3 days to figure out what she was doing and even then she didn't build as good a nest as Newton did.
Any who, later that evening Newton gave birth to five more babies. It soon became apparent that the first one she had was a runt, as it was way smaller than the others. After some initial worrying that after all that commotion one or both the mothers might reject the babies, our fears proved unfounded, and all of them survived. So now, six weeks later, we're the proud owners of 15 rabbits, and are desperately looking for a home for most of the babies... we plan on keeping both Carol and Newton and maybe one or two more the babies (not sure yet).. if we do keep any of the babies it would probably be females, seeing we don't want any more babies. (I know taking them to the vet would be an easy answer that, but I don't know when we are going to get the $$$$$$ to do that)

So, my big question is, does anyone know any place you can take 13 rabbits to in the Northwest Arkansas/Missouri border area? I've tried Googling it but didn't find any helpful information..
And my dad called all the local pet stores, they don't want them.
And I am not going to put an ad in the paper "Free rabbits to good home"... We have way to many snake breeders in this area, so I know what type of a home they'd go too... Here's some pic I have of them right off the bat, I don't seem to have a pic of all the babys together. Note, we don't leave em out like that at night, we just let them run around in a well fenced in flower garden during the day when some one is around to watch them.
When we frist found them
Boy and bunnys
Carol and baby

Newton and baby
Sleepy baby
Me and baby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

thats alot of bunbuns! Have you looked on Rabbit.org ? i think they have a list on there somewhere of vets and shelters.. as well as alot of other rabbit info.. Best of luck!

And btw.. Welcome to PT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 07:06 PM
can't think of one, help

those are unbelievably sweet, I'd take a couple if you were in vt. My little boy bunny probably wouldn't mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 07:26 PM

A lot of cute bunnies
I hope you can find homes for the babies...sorry i'm of no help
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I did look on Rabbit.org, and surprisingly there isn't very much in this area. Which is kind of surprising but I guess rabbits aren't as big around here.

litlebunnies2, I'm sorry I don't live closer to!
They are sweet, there's only one of them that doesn't like to be handled, a beautiful little gray one, but he's a complete maniac all around. All the rest don't mind being handled or coddled at all, they'll even run up to you.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I think you should try rabbit.org. Email the closest rescue listed to you even if you are not that close. They maybe able to help.
I can't believe they were both girls! Be careful because bunnies can mate at young ages - I think both Carol and Newton look pretty young. However, the males can get thier mom's pregnant again younger than you may imagine.
Those babies are so adorable. I am glad I am not that close to you. That would be way too tempting!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Title Thief Victim

Awwww.....soo cute!!

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:31 PM

Too adorable! Your so lucky......bunnies
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad I don't live close to you as well, I want them all!! <3<3

Anyways, I think your best bet would be to try to get a rabbit shelter to take them in if you can't find homes for them yourself. Just do a google search for rabbit shelters in your area, you'll probably find something.

Good luck! I don't think I'd be able to rehome such adorable little buns!

Good job taking in the mom's, by the way! You probably saved them and their babies!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Frist, thanks for the welcome. I've e-mailed one shelter, and they sent me the e-mail of some in AR, I'm waiting to hear back from them right now. So wish me luck! I'll keep you posted on how it goes.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Good luck. That is a lot of bunnies. It must be very busy at your house!
I saw a video of a bunch of baby bunnies just hopping around and that is how I imagine your house must be. It was very cute!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 05:18 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

awww they are adorable i hope you find great homes for them all which doesn't sound easy so i wish you all the best and welcome

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 05:30 PM

congrats! and cute bunnies!!!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

best of luck with your buns!

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Tags
baby bunnies, local pet store, nesting material, pet store, pet stores, rabbit cage