Oops wrong bag - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Oops wrong bag

2 days ago I went to the pet store to buy Nino a bag of pellets because she had run out of the last one. Not thinking much, I accidently grabbed the guinea pig one and brought it home. I didn't realize the pellets weren't for rabbits until I had opened the bag up. I gave her a little bit for her to try and as of now she seems to like them more than the rabbit pellets I gave her before. Is it ok for her to eat guinea pig pellets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Playful Pup

No you shouldn't feed a rabbit guinea pig food. I don't know much about guinea pigs but I think they need added calcium in their diets and guinea pig food will have this extra calcium in it. Extra calcium is not good for rabbits as it will develop sludge in their urine and lead to kidney stones. Back to the store for rabbit pellets!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Part of the Pack

rabbitsmba has it covered.. know any friends you could give the bag to, or your local animal shelter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Adolescent Pup

idk if this is the reason or not, but when i was younger i had a bunny and a guinea pig at the same time. we always fed her and the pig the same pellets (usually guinea pig cause they were easier to find at the time) and after a year or so, she became constipated and it was so bad that the vet said that he couldnt fix it. he said that even if he fixed the constipation that her insides were badly damaged from being constipated. like i said, idk if this is the reason or not, but to be on the safe side i'd agree with the others.

MY LITTER INCLUDES:

"dog"(cause she thinks shes one of the dogs)

"neva"(RIP pepe and hector)

-two white fancy mice, unnamed. 9 brown/brindle fancy mice also unnamed

"dusty, asher, maggie, nikki, bella, sampson, lucky"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks I'll try to find someone with guinea pigs in the area to give the bag. Time to go back to the pet store.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Adolescent Pup

sounds like a good idea. i dont think that just a couple of feedings would hurt the bun, but if you'd kept doing it, it might have caused a problem. good luck

MY LITTER INCLUDES:

"dog"(cause she thinks shes one of the dogs)

"neva"(RIP pepe and hector)

-two white fancy mice, unnamed. 9 brown/brindle fancy mice also unnamed

"dusty, asher, maggie, nikki, bella, sampson, lucky"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Turbo's mommy.

My friend, owner of the pet store said that guinea pig food has vitamin C and its better for rsbbits to eat the guinea pig fod than the reg. bunny food.

Turbo Bunny

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

The reason guinea pig pellets have Vit. C and rabbit pellets don't is because guinea pigs bodies cannot produce vit. C. Rabbits bodies can and so they don't require it in their food.

The extra vit. C isn't necessarily bad for rabbits, that I know of, but guinea pig pellets arn;t formulated for rabbits and may have other ingredients (like extra calcium as rabbitsmba said) that could cause problems.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Turbo's mommy.

should i take him off of the guinea pig pellets? i'm going to the pet store tomorrow ... i CAN pick some up. another reason he's eating GP pellets is because i accidentally bought the Guinea Pig Cage Kit and it came with food in it ... sooo ... silly me, he's being forced to eat something he may not like due to my mistake.

Turbo Bunny

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Definitely get him bunny pellets. Don't buy the junky ones that have seeds and colored pieces in it. It's like giving them the sugary cereals. Oxbow is the brand that seems to have the most recognition as being a good quality. You can go to their site to see where it is sold near you. Call first to be sure the place is carrying it (one place near me discontinued it but they were still listed on oxbows site).
Make sure your bun has plenty of hay. If he is a baby it should be alfalfa - adults should get timothy hay. Of course there are other hays out there as well he may enjoy. I think dragonrain feeds her buns all different types of hay. Right now mine have meadow and timothy.

Let us know if you have any other questions - this is the best place to learn about buns - I owe all my bunny knowledge to the people here!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Turbo's mommy.

i believe he has alfalfa but i'm not 100% sure, i'm a little lazy and its sitting in the house.

i intend on learning everything i need to know from paw-talk.net

Turbo Bunny

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

www.rabbit.org is a great site for learning about house rabbits. I've had rabbits for a long time and I still go on there to look stuff up sometimes

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Turbo's mommy.

thank you sooo much! ooh update on turbo: we just got home today from the pet store. i asked the owner, steve, what to do about his nails. he's literally scratching me to shreads. steve offered me a mini harness and leash and advised me that its easier to catch him when he's on the leash. so i have to let him have floor time outside rather inside where his nails will get filed down. steve said i'll never have to cut his nails!!! =]] :hooray:
we bought a smaller food dish and it turns out that the smallest food dish that they offer was still TOO BIG! i guess turbo is still too little.

Turbo Bunny