Our rabbit screamed in the night!? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Our rabbit screamed in the night!?

Hi, we have a 6 month old bunny, she is healthy, she has been a little nervous since day one but nothing crazy, she does play with us from time to time and let us stroke her, she pretty much has the run of the flat during the day and then at night we keep her in a large run in the kitchen. (one of those out door ones also suitable for small dogs etc).

She hates going to her cage at night and does put up some resistance but once she is in she soon relaxes, eats, washes and seems happy. Any at about 5am last night we were woken up by a terrible scream and the sound of her feet in the litter tray (same sound she makes when she jumps in or out, but we have no idea what she was doing). We got up to check and she was very still so, just to see if she wasnt paralyzed or something we put some food in her bowl and she trotted over like always quite happily and started eating we watched her for a while and everything seemed normal, today I woke up let her out and it is her normal routine i stroked her and she doesnt seem to have any party of her body that is in pain or anything... in fact she seems very happy, binky's sniffing around my feet etc...

I looked online and didn't find any similar situations, does anyone know what could have caused this?

Many thanks Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I would just like to add that she is not spayed yet, something we a seriously considering.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Adolescent Pup

Usually rabbits can scream whilst in pain or distress, but if she seemed ok after then i'm not sure :/ maybe she got her foot trapped.

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Hey!

Yeah usually they scream when they are in pain or really scared. It's a horrible sound isn't it!?

If she looks okay physically and is acting normal, she may have been startled by something. One of my rabbits sounds like he has a similar temperament to your girl - he's very shy and kind of timid/nervous. He's screamed before due to fear.

Do you have a grate on your litter box? Is it possible that she got a toe nail caught and got hurt or frightened? Or could she have gotten something caught in a rug loop or something like that? Maybe check her toes and see if anything is up there.

I think it would be a good thing to get her into a vet sometime for a check up and to start meeting vets. Even if she's healthy, because I really do advise that you get her spayed. Unspayed female rabbits have a very real risk of having their lives shortened considerably due to reproductive cancers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

She could've gotten startled. My fiance was holding our rabbit one time, and she was perfectly happy, and then just suddenly let out a high-pitched scream. My fiance nearly dropped her it caught him so off guard.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Playful Pup

I've got to say, if Oliver let out a scream in the middle of the night, I would be terrified, for any number of reasons!

Roy, Oliver and Doris.

Tags
bunny, pain, rabbit, scream