Out to In? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Out to In?

Charlie is lonely and we're not getting her a new friend until spring time. I thought maybe if she was inside she would have us to keep her company. But, it's been so cold here, and I don't know how she would handle the change because of losing Caesar and because she is already accustomed to the cold. Is there a way to get her used to the inside without getting her sick? And also, I would want to let her go back outside in the spring so she can be around fresh air and go in her outside play area. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I have no idea because mine have always been indoors. I have read that its healtheir for bunnies to be inside. I have never read that bunnies get sick if you move them inside after being outside. I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 04:13 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Shadow used to be an outdoor bunny....we moved her indoors with no dramas. For a while she kept running to the door wanting out, so we put her on a harness and had her outside, but now she couldn't care less about the outdoors. You'll have no dramas bringing an outdoor bunny inside, health wise, you'd be more at risk if you had an indoor bunny and put them outdoors in the middle of summer. They cope with the cold better than the heat

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Tiny Grosskisser

I agree with Steph, I tend to think that you'd have a healthier rabbit if Charlie was an indoor bunny. You could always do like Carmen does when the weather is nice, buy a harness and take Charlie for a walk, etc.

That's just my opinion though! I wish I could be more help, but I don't own a rabbit!

Karen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

The problem is, though, it's cold outside and warm inside. Will she just adjust to the nidoor temperatures if we take her in now because she has all her winter fur and is ready for the cold.
As for saying indoor bunnies are healthier than outdoor ones isn't true. We took the best care of Caesar and Charlie, and always took them to the vet right away when something was wrong, and their cagewas protected against the cold last year with extra wood, styrofoam, and blankets. They couldn't reach any of it to chew on it, and Charlie's cage this year is the same way to protect her against the cold. I know plenty of indoor rabbits that weren't as healthy as my bunnies, when Caesar was alive.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I think she will adjust fine to the temp change Natalie. I have never heard of a bunny getting sick from being moved inside. I think it will be great for her and you can spend more time with her too.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Thanks, I'll tell me parents and maybe we'll go get her an inside cage.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

www.rabbit.org is a site for people with house rabbits. It has lots of great info on living quarter ideas, litter box training, and pretty much anything you need to know.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Hi Natalie, my 2 bunnies live outside in a shed, which has a hutch inside.. They cope ok with the British weather, and I always put more straw etc in their hutch when it gets colder..
Hope you are ok?

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I have given her more bedding and hay and treats, as in veggies. My dad just got home, and I'll talk to him about it. I'll ckeck out that website, I have it bookmarked already. She's already litterbox trained and I was figuring on getting the biggest cage available for her. Thanks guys, and I'm getting better. Thanks for asking.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Well, I just talked to my dad, and he said we can't take her in because she already has her winter coat and will get sick. He doesn't really know anything about rabbits, and I know he's trying to do the best thing, but leaving her alone out there is not good! Caesar just died this week, and now I can't even take Charlie inside!
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Natalie my girls still get their winter coat, and they live in a warm house all year round. The worst that will happen is that she'll shed her coat again.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSbunny
Natalie my girls still get their winter coat, and they live in a warm house all year round. The worst that will happen is that she'll shed her coat again.
Thats what I was thinking too. She will just shed her coat Natalie. I wonder why your dad thinks she will get sick? Its the same as bringing an outdoor cat inside. The cat wouldn't get sick and neither will the rabbit. I hope you can convince them.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

The book I have on rabbits says that constant changes of temperatures will make rabbits get sick, and they will. I guess he's just being paranoid, and worrying about her, but it's not fair!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Unless someone can prove otherwise I think that book is wrong. Yes if you took your rabbit into freezing conditions and then put in in boling hot conditions, and repeated that then it would get sick, like us. But you aren't doing that. If you took Charlie in now I'm sure she'd adapt quite well. I'm sure your dad is just doing what he thinks is best but maybe if you researched into it and could print some info off the net it might help change his mind.

Tags
box trained, grass hay, house rabbit, house rabbits, litter box, litter box training, outdoor cat, stuffed animal, timothy hay