Outdoor bunny problems - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Outdoor bunny problems

So, like I've said before, my mom refuses to let my buns live in the house. My dad and I built a beautiful new wooden hutch for them outside, and everything was good for a while. But, since neither my dad nor I are carpenters, there are small flaws and uneven joins where the doors open on their hinges. We didn't weather seal the gaps between the roof and walls and between the doors because I figured the bunnies could use all the ventilation possible for the summer and we'll get weather stripping to deal with that in the fall before the winter comes.

However, I discovered today that some earwigs have taken up residence in the cracks between the roof and doors and walls. There's little black dots of bug crap or something along the upper joist that holds the front of the roof steady (it's very heavy because it's covered in shingles for weatherproof). And every time I open the door to put food in the hutch, a bunch of earwigs falls out from the space between the hinges all over the upper level of the cage and onto the patio below.

My question is what can I do? I'm afraid of using bug sprays because it's probably dangerous for the bunnies. Are earwigs really dangerous for my bunnies' health? Or are they okay living there? Before the earwigs, I'd sometimes find a couple of roly poly bugs in those cracks, but I've read that they're really not harmful, and it wasn't a huge number of them, just one or two sometimes. But the earwigs are EVERYWHERE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sorry I don't know anything about earwigs. I don't trust sprays at pet shops, but bug sprays used in poultry barns should be safe, if you can find a farm supply store.

I think the number one danger for outdoor rabbits is ignorance and human error, and it is difficult to find information on how to keep outdoor rabbits safe. Most rescue organizations know a great deal about the dangers of keeping rabbits outside, and little about how to make things safer for outdoor rabbits. One good resource I have found is: www.houserabbit.co.uk Just click on "Advice and resources". This is an organization in England, where keeping rabbits outside is more common. I have also research rabbitries because rabbit breeders often times have been in the business for years, and some have web sites with blogs and will answer any questions you might have.

I also must keep my rabbits outside. I get hay by the bale from a hobby farm, and I never have to worry about them not having anything to chew on. I enjoy them very much because I love to be outside, even in the winter. I put up a fence around my hutch where I can let my rabbits out so I can spend time with them. I hope you enjoy your rabbit as much as I enjoy my rabbits. Good luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Hello Earthling

I'm not sure if this will work but take some chalk ad draw a thick line in the areas that have the earwigs. Some bugs will avoid calcium so this might work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

ooooo i hate earwigs and i bet your bunnies do too, they have pinchers on their bottoms and they really HURT, i was pinched by them before and it made me bleed!! i don't think chalk will work, earwigs are evil and go threw anything.... i don't know what you could use but i hope someone does

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Adolescent Pup

ouch. i think the chalk idea would work. i keep my rabbit outdoors as well but lucky for me i have a screened in back porch...

good luck, though.

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot