Outdoor rabbits and neglect - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Outdoor rabbits and neglect

Do you think outdoor rabbits get neglected? I would like to invite everyone to join the discussion at (www.rabbitweb.net) and click on the discussion board and then go to the board, "Just Rabbits."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I have my rabbits outside and so do a few other members here, and I know especially well that Steph (Purplebunny) and I spoil our bunnies to death, not literally of course.
I have my two in a 6 by 8 foot shed that has a fan for summer and a heating system for the winter. They each have their own cage and play area since they don't get along. They have ALL the toys pet stores have to offer a bunny and thensome. I even customized their bedding for each bunny's preferences. I clean their cages weekly and their litter boxes more frequently. There is NO way I neglect my bunnies in any way. My two are happier outside and Harry was not nearly as happy inside as he is now, but you can't call living in a mini-house living outside.
I know some people do neglect their outdoor rabbits, but it's not limited to just rabbits. But people that follow the "out of sight, out of mind" way of life make you wonder about how well they would treat a pet even if it were inside.
Didn't mean to right an essay here, but this is something I feel strongly about. If anyone says I neglect my pets because they are outside then I can't be held responsible for my words.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I feel it is true that alot of outside hutch rabbits are neglected, but not all are. And if you keep your rabbits in a large shed that's different anyways.

I think the sheds are great for rabbits, but I feel differently about most hutches. In a hutch, I think a rabbit would feel a bit stressed and vulnerable and wild animals could even break in and kill the rabbit. Also, hutches generally won't protect too much against bad weather.

The problem with keeping rabbits outside is that some people forget about them because they don't see them on a regular basis. Because of that they might also not notice illnesses or injuries.

Most hutches have wire bottoms which also can harm a rabbit's feet.

However, keeping rabbits in a climate-controlled shed is different and I have nothing against that.

One of my rabbits, Sakura, was originally an outside hutch rabbit and when I got her she was sick, losing her fur, severely overweight, malnourished, terrified of everything, and her feet were cut up from the wires. But plenty of inside rabbits are neglected too so I don't think it's fair to judge people based on where they house their rabbits...but rather how they house them and care for them.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I invited everyone to the other site because people have more freedom to speak over there without getting bumped off the site. So far there is some pretty harsh criticism of animal organizations and no house rabbit activists are responding. To sum it up in a nutshell, the feeling is that the environment doesn't cause neglect, people do.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonchild
I invited everyone to the other site because people have more freedom to speak over there without getting bumped off the site. So far there is some pretty harsh criticism of animal organizations and no house rabbit activists are responding. To sum it up in a nutshell, the feeling is that the environment doesn't cause neglect, people do.
In answer to your first post, I always kept my rabbits in the house. In fact, I keep all my animals indoors, ..cats, dogs, parrots, tarantulas, etc. I feel I can give them better care and more attention if they are always in here with me.

That's not to say that people who keep their animals outdoors negelct them. It's just harder to do it sometimes when they are outside. I'm very aware of my animals habits, the quality of their fecals and how they are feeling. It would be much harder to observe these things if the animal was outside.

As to going to the other site to discuss it, ...if you want to discuss it over there, ...why post here? I am not familiar with the rules, policies or moderators over there. What's more, it's a hassle to sign up for another board when this is one of (if not the best) general animal boards on the the internet (although there does seem to be a lot of those silly chinchilla owners here...)

I find it hard to believe that people have more freedom over there than right here. You've got to be pretty antagonistic to get kicked off this site, as far as I have seen. If the conversation goes that far, it's probably not one I want to be a part of.... JMO

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
I have my rabbits outside and so do a few other members here, and I know especially well that Steph (Purplebunny) and I spoil our bunnies to death, not literally of course.
I have my two in a 6 by 8 foot shed that has a fan for summer and a heating system for the winter. They each have their own cage and play area since they don't get along. They have ALL the toys pet stores have to offer a bunny and thensome. I even customized their bedding for each bunny's preferences. I clean their cages weekly and their litter boxes more frequently. There is NO way I neglect my bunnies in any way. My two are happier outside and Harry was not nearly as happy inside as he is now, but you can't call living in a mini-house living outside.
I know some people do neglect their outdoor rabbits, but it's not limited to just rabbits. But people that follow the "out of sight, out of mind" way of life make you wonder about how well they would treat a pet even if it were inside.
Didn't mean to right an essay here, but this is something I feel strongly about. If anyone says I neglect my pets because they are outside then I can't be held responsible for my words.
Thanks Natalie...
I agree why stop at rabbits being neglected, there are dogs and other animals also that are kept outside! Natalie has said exactly what I would have mentioned too..
My 4 live in a large shed and want for nothing.. They have access to the garden every day, sometimes just for an hour, other times nearly all day.. The shed had been boarded so that it is warmer for them, and in the summer it has a window that can be opened..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i think the majority of outdoor animals are neglected.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

What makes you say that? Such a broad statement would have to include all wild animals, and since they take care of themselves, they really aren't neglected.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

out door pets
that are never in the house.
you knew what i ment.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How can you say that about the majority of outside animals being neglected? What makes where you keep yours any different? Yours may be in a small cage, with no water or food? I know plenty of people who have pets outside, and I personally dont agree with rabbits being locked up in small hutches day in day out..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
out door pets

that are never in the house.

you knew what i ment.

Did I?
So are you saying I abuse and neglect Charlie? She has never been inside my house except when I need to give her medicine. Are you aiming to say that rabbit owners that keep their bunnies inside take better care of them than those that can't keep them inside?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i apoligize.
from what i see, where i live
most animals that are kept outside seem neglected.
ex. dog on chain
4 rabbits in very small hutch
outside cats to keep the barns mice free....
none have human interaction.
i am only saying what i see....
where i live, and what i see
MOST outdoor pets who are not allowed in the house seem to be uncared for in the since that no one pays attention to them much less even notice if they tiped over the water bowl, or was hurt, sick, etc.

i said most
not all

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i never said you didnt pay attention to your pets.
nor did i say charlie is neglected.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I highly doubt it is most. You talk about what you see, but are you not reading correctly? Steph and I keep ours outside and care for them very well. There are tons of people out there like that.
And animals can be neglected and/or abused inside a home as well as outside.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i know you guys have them outside and take good care of them
when did i say you neglected them?
i think it is more likely for an outside animal to be neglected.

Tags
house rabbit, litter box, litter boxes, pet store, pet stores, water bowl, wild animal, wild animals