Oxbow Pellets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Oxbow Pellets

Anyone had trouble with the Oxbow pellets? About a month ago I bought them for my bun and he wont eat them!! After a month of him not eating them and spilling his bowl over Ive just went back and bought his old food.

Sure enough....he ate almost the whole bowl. Im worried that the nutrition isnt as good! The pellets I have are Kaytee Forti-diet.

Forti-diet has 17% protein min
3% Fat min
14% Fiber min
18% Fiber max
12% moisture max
0.6% calcium min
1.1% calcium max
0.4% phosphorus
0.25% salt min
0.75% salt max
Vitamin A 5000 IU/lb

Oxbow has 14% protein
1.5% fat min
25% fiber min
29% fiber max
10% moisture max
0.35% calcium min
0.85% calcium max
0.25% phosphorus
0.50% salt min
1.0% salt max
Vitamin A 20,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D 880 IU/lb
Vitamin E 140 IU/lb
Copper 20 mg/kg

Should I try mixing them together? Or will that discourage him from eating them? Any ideas?

Last edited by Cheetara03; 11-10-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 09:58 PM

Yep try mixing them, and slowly add more oxbow and less Kaytee
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I would much prefer Oxbow to Kaytee. Oxbow is generally fresher - you never know how long the Kaytee sat in the warehouse or on the pet store shelf.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:28 PM

I would definitely do a gradual switchover, that way you're not risking an upset stomach.

I've heard from many people that Kaytee is a less than quality food. I learned the hard way on the old food I use to feed my pets (chinchillas), so I switched them to Oxbow. They actually eat the pellets now! Before, they use to pick out the goodies.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!! Ill try mixing them and see how it goes!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 12:04 AM

I switched from Kaytee to Oxbow too. Kaytee is really fattening, plus Oxbow timothy pellets are much healthier than Kaytee alfalfa. Are you feeding timothy or alfalfa pellets? Rusty had no problem with the switch because he had been on Oxbow when he was in foster care. Sonora still doesn't like the Oxbow, but she has never been big on pellets. I have been mixing the two together and gradually cutting back on the alfalfa for her. She prefers hay over any kind of pellets, but she does like the Kaytee better than the Oxbow. Caroline from the Bunny Bunch rescue says that if rabbits are only given timothy pellets, they will learn to like them over time. I would keep mixing them and gradually take the Kaytee away. Good luck!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 07:43 PM

Yes, I have heard many places that Kaytee isn't great for buns. Has anyone heard of Nutriphase? Is it any good??

Crude Protien (min) - 17%
Crude Fat (min) - 3%
Crude Fiber(min) - 12%
Crude Fiber (max) - 17%
Moisture(max) - 12%
Calcium(min) 0.5%
Calcium(max) - 1%

does that sound good or do I need to switch? It doesn't have any 'goodies' in it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaBunny
Has anyone heard of Nutriphase? Is it any good??

Crude Protien (min) - 17%
Crude Fat (min) - 3%
Crude Fiber(min) - 12%
Crude Fiber (max) - 17%
Moisture(max) - 12%
Calcium(min) 0.5%
Calcium(max) - 1%

You defenitely NEED to change. Nutriphase is worse than Kaytee. Fiber has to be higher than Protein and Nutriphase is the opposite. Oxbow has the BEST pellet. Nutriphase pellets are made for breeding bunnies and meat bunnies. I suggest you switching to the Oxbow Timothy based pellets slowly. Change gotta be done in 1 month no less since your bunny is used to all that protein and not enough fiber. To give you an idea, Bunny Basic T from Oxbow has 14% Protein and 25%-29% Fiber...it's the healthiest!!!! Nutriphase only has 12%-17%, really not enough. Let me know how it goes.

Tags
crude fat, crude fiber, pet store