Peculiar situation - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Peculiar situation

I warn you, it's a long post. If you don't want to read all of it here's the shortened version:

1. Nino grabs onto something with her teeth (newspaper, plastic bag), shakes her head crazily and refuses to let go.

2. She pulls her own fur out with her own teeths.

3. My sister also has a female rabbit (dominant one).

4. She doesn't seem to be in any pain (although she could be hiding it).

Full read:

Nino's been doing something strange lately. First of all I am pretty sure she is a female although it's impossible to flip her onto her back while I'm holding her.

Just about a month ago (I think), she went through a phase of pulling her own fur out. One night, I heard some noises so I looked into the cage and there she was pulling her own fur out with her teeths. She didn't seem to be in any pain or whatsoever. I thought it may have been a case of false pregnancy as my sister's rabbit is also a female (Jasper is more cooperative and yes my sister's rabbit is named Jasper). I just ignored it and soon enough she was ok. The shedding(?) gave her fur a more soft feel too.

Now just this morning I noticed her cage was lined with loads of fur again and her looking innocent just as ever. One thing I noticed is that before her shedding, she ALWAYS picked something up with her mouth and refused to let go (always newspaper, plastic bags, etc.). Then while she has newspaper in her mouth, she shakes her head around like a maniac.

I like that her fur feels alot nicer after shedding(?) but I'm sort of curious and baffled by what she's doing. I read that it may be teeths problems (she doesn't like to chew wood) but it doesn't look like they're bothering her. I also read something about ticks/mites but she grooms herself quite often and never really looks bothered by anything in her fur. So the only other things that can explain her weird behavior is either 1. Destructive behavior from boredom (I let her out of her cage often and she disapproves of toys) or 2. False pregnancy.

Can anyone explain her weird behavior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

It might be her teeth bugging her, especially if she doesn't chew wood to grind them down regularly. I'd take her to a vet to be sure.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Betta Bomb

For sure have her teeth checked. Female rabbits pull out their own fur to get ready for nest making. My unspayed girl does sometimes.my spayed girl never does it. As for chewing on paper and not letting go that could be her way of playing or it could be her way of killing any pain she may experience if it is,in fact, her teeth.How old is she? i noticed my bunny before she was spayed displayed very odd behavior prior and during adolesence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

She's around 8-9 months now and also unspayed. I think I may want to get that done sometime soon probably.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Part of the Pack

if you're not sure she is a female, you should get someone else to hold her, and check. (or vise versa). I think at 8-9 months it is pretty obvious, so here is a link to show you how.

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sexing.shtml

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Definitely sounds like false pregnancy to me, especially since she hasn't been spayed yet. Getting her spayed will probably stop the behavior (although, strangely enough, I have a neutered male rabbit who had the same nesting behavior when he was younger, haha).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
fur, rabbit