peeing in food dish? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Question peeing in food dish?

My bun henry has always been good for using his litterbox up until a few weeks ago. He has taken to peeing in the corner beside his litter box corner, where his food dish is. I'll come home and the empty bowl will have pee in it! Yuck. Is this because its time for him to be fixed? I dont get it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Rodentologist

Yes, rabbits typically lose a lot of their litterbox training as their hormones become more active. Fixing him will probably improve this behavior.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thank ya!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Playful Pup

I think fixing him will improve, I had the same problem with my bun, he isn't neutered yet. What I did was to relocate his food bowl to another corner where he doesn't pee, it works, he doesn't pee in his food dish anymore, and he is still using the old food dish location to pee. Sometimes he likes to move his food dish around in his cage and if he happens to move it to the old location (now is pee corner), and yes there would be urine in his dish . If your bun continues to pee at the same spot, it is mostly that he is using that spot as his pee corner and if you move the food dish, problem should improve.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Adolescent Pup

Might it be that he's actually in the litter box, but he backs up to the edge and pees over the side? Flash started doing that at one point, so I bought him "corner" litter boxes with two very high sides that he can't pee over. That way, when he backs up into his corner to go, he can't possibly get it out of the box.

--Fromper
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Hmm.. henry has a corner litterbox, but he only goes on one side of it. Could be the backing up too, fromper. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

umm. have you tried moving the litter box to the other cornerand the food dish to the other
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Part of the Pack

I would have moved the food dish away if it were me, but then again my bunny Stewie is stubborn and always ends up rearranging her cage accessories all the time anyway, her igloo always ends up upside down and she sits in it like a little boat. Maybe the bunny has bad aim, Stewie had that problem too.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamiranda7 View Post
umm. have you tried moving the litter box to the other cornerand the food dish to the other
/

indeed I have. But guess who started poopin in the old litter box corner?

-_- lol. Oh, and guess who just as of now peed on my mattress?

HENRYYYYY

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

and that sounds so cute about stewie sitting in her igloo like a leel boat. :}

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:13 AM
Newborn Pup

Be careful spaying or neutering your wabbit as they have a high risk of dieing especially after coming out of anesthesia. Make sure the vet knows his stuff .

Ella came home to us Feb 13, 2009!!!!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniellex51 View Post
Be careful spaying or neutering your wabbit as they have a high risk of dieing especially after coming out of anesthesia. Make sure the vet knows his stuff .
Actually, there is a 99.9% success rate in spays from vets who know how to operate on rabbits. The huge risk is only from uninformed and inexperienced vets.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry