Pet fee for Bunny? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Angry Pet fee for Bunny?

Hello, and thanks to anyone who answered my question about my baby bunny not eating... he's doing fine, I think I was both mis-informed and over-reacting... I am now neither. But...

Has anyone ever had to pay a pet fee to keep a rabbit? We were told when we moved into our apartment with our rat and bird that as long as an animal was primarily caged, we didn't have to pay a pet fee. A resident manager has now informed us that the rabbit (he is a Holland Lop by the way, won't get very big) counts the same as a cat or dog and we have to pay a $350 fee PLUS $25 extra bucks a month in rent. We tried to debate, but then she dropped the other shoe... "Well, I had a rabbit once, and it destroyed my apartment and got much bigger than I though it would"- so she's unrelenting in making us pay. Anyone else think this is a little bit much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I've never heard of a pet fee.
But what does your contract say?

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

Given how much damage bunnies can do when you let them out of the cage to play, I don't blame your landlord for this one.

--Fromper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

That's the thing. It mentions cats and dogs, not really "caged" pets. I think that this girl has a vendetta against bunnies. Although there have been other problems, we may just move when our lease is up :-(
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Betta Bomb

what?? theres nothing like that listed in contracts here that i know of. but isnt that what the damage deposit is for? besides,you can try to convince her that you are a responsible pet owner and will certainly pay for any damages he MAY cause but if you train him right and bunny proof his playroom and he doesnt even chew walls...then what are you paying that extra money for?? i think she may just want a little more cash in her pocket,i would think a bird would cause more damage what with pooping and everything (isnt that stuff hard to remove?)..i think its pointless to argue over whether or not bunnies are destructive or not,since she has had one before but maybe try to get her to sign a new contract between you two that if there is any damage done you will cover the cost?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 05:04 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Honestly, i cant say i blame her too much, rabbits if left alone by an irresponsible pet owner (witch apparently she was) can prolly do just as much damage as a puppy. They can be destructive little things when there bored.

However.. this 'Fee' or pet fees in generally are usually in the form of a refundable pet deposit aren't they? As in if your rabbit doesnt destroy the house you should get it bck when you move.. but i would make sure thats what shes talking about. What does it say in your contract about pets? does it say it will raise your rent? i would get anything you guys decide to do in writing. so she cant come back and change things again later.

My Furry Family
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm afraid after a little more discussion, that we're stuck with it. The deposit is NOT refundable, and we're having trouble arguing. The thing here is, it's not a single landlord. Our building is enormous and IS owned by a huge rental conglomerate. Sadly, some faceless person who I will never get a chance to see or talk to will make the final descision. And no, Purple Hops, the bird poop is easy to handle. Wiped right of of most surfaces, and there are rugs around the cage to catch the extra. :-)

So sadly, I think that it has been decided that my tiny bunny is the equivalent of a 25lb dog, and I shall pay the same for it. :-(

George orwell
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my friend has to pay rent for her bunny 10 a month and a hundred deposit. PER bunny

they are quite destructive. at least you can have one.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yeah, i'm starting to come around that we should pay something.. had no idea it was so high in my building though. can't find anyone else in the area who has to pay so much for even large dogs. but i live in an overpriced place and i think that's gonna change. i've added it up though... the bunny, supplies, then re-buying the supplies that we got wrong... about $300, $70 for the first vet trip, $250 to get him neutered, and a $350 deposit, plus $300 more in rent a year. little guy is starting out expensive. oh well, our rat cost us close to $800 in vet bills in the last year of her life, you gotta do the right thing, even when it's expensive.

George orwell
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yup, rabbits are expensive. Even without pet fees they are expensive. I've had years where I literally spent thousands of dollars taking care of my rabbits, mostly due to vet bills.

Right now I'd be more than happy to have to pay $250 to keep my bunny in an apartment with me - my bf and I have been looking for a pet friendly apartment for months now with no success.

It does seem like a lot that the landlord wants the $250 and an extra $25 a month, I would think it would be one or the other.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hehe, i always ask landlords if i can have a "caged pet" in my appartment... and leave out the its a 4'x4'x5' cage muahahaha

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Haha yeah... one landlord we called asked my boyfriend what a rabbit is...then another one when he told him we have a rabbit said "eww nevermind" and hung up!

We've been telling the landlords that he's caged, even though he almost never is - but still no luck finding a place. I don't think many people around where we're looking keep rabbits as house pets. All the landlords seem to think it's really strange that we want to keep a rabbit in the house.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Betta Bomb

thats is strange,considering the enormous boom in recent years of having them as pets...hmm,still seems sketchy but it is increasingly harder to find pet freindly homes/apartments.
*sigh*
good thing,though that your not gonna dump him off at a shelter b/c he "costs too much" like alot of irresponsible owners do-happy hopping!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well like i said, we spent about 900 in vet bills alone on our sweet little ratty, we're no strangers to shelling it out for an animal. when you take on a pet, you aren't just buying a thing. it's a responsibility, you've brought a little life into your world and it's yours to take care of. in just a few short days our lil guy has made us so happy, can't put a price on that. :-)

George orwell
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Betta Bomb

no and i agree fully with you!

Tags
pet fee, rabbit