pet store bunns. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Question pet store bunns.

is it bad to get a rabbit from a pet store? should i find a breeder instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Rodentologist

Why not rescue?

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Hello Earthling

Like Jennicat said why not a rescue??? There is already enough homeless rabbits out there, so their is no need to buy a rabbit from a 'breeder' or pet store to add to the population. Plus lots of cute bunnies needing loving and forever homes, and they are just waiting in a shelter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:40 PM
is a little "special"

I second the rescue!
There are alot of advantages of adopting a bunner:

~ You can adopt an older rabbit. They are alot less destructive, and usually calmer than younger ones. There are plenty of youg rabbits in need of forever homes too though.
~ They are already spayed/neutered. It cost me over $360 to get my boy neutered, and spaying female can be up to $500. Adopting from a rescue will save you hundreds.
~ You already have an idea of their personality from their previous owners/foster moms.
~ You can foster before adopting, to make sure the bun fits well in your household.
~ You are saving a life! Millions of unwanted rabbits are killed in shelters, and you can make it one less.

I hope you choose to adopt your rabbit! Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 05:23 PM
RAT ADDICT

Like any animal from a pet store...it could be sick,diseased and unsocialized.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 05:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with the others!!
There are alot of rabbits needing homes in rescues.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Betta Bomb

Go Jess-Kudo's to adoption. Breeders only contribute to the over population although you may get a well socialized bun. My Akina came from a breeder(I adopted her from my cousin) and she's well mannered, tolerant, cuddely. But everyday I see ads for free bunnies and baby bunnies.. Too many, plus rescue organizatons could REALLy use the funds to help more.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
Like any animal from a pet store...it could be sick,diseased and unsocialized.
Very true, I learned that the hard way. Since I didn't know any better at the time, I bought two netherland dwarves from a Petland (yeah, don't need to tell me it's a mistake, I know now), and got them taken to the vet within a few days of getting them. Vet did a checkup, said they both seemed fine, nothing appeared to be wrong with them.

A week later, the first one of the two got diahrrea and ended up dying despite us rushing him to an emergency vet at 5 in the morning. Less than a week later, his twin sister from the same litter died of the same. The vet techs there said it happens all too commonly to rabbits that are weaned too soon. The breeders (rabbit versions of puppy mills) sell them too young to the pet stores, who then have NO idea what they're doing and just sell them off as soon as possible to maximize their profits.

That's not to say every pet store is necessarily bad, as we got another bunny around the exact same time from a different store, and she's been doing great. The difference is that they actually had an older gentleman working there who seemed to genuienly care for their animals, instead of acting like they're just products on a shelf.

So from personal experience, I would had to suggest going to a rescue shelter to see if you can't find a rabbit you'd like there. If that fails, contact your local House Rabbit Society chapter (rabbit.org) and see if they have any rabbits that are looking for a home. Or check on Craigslist/Hoobly/Kijiji and check the pet classifieds. Some breeders are probably fine, but there's plenty of them who are only one step better than pet stores, since they're the ones providing the pet stores with all the rabbits.

I know everyone always preaches about how you shouldn't get your pets from a pet store, but it's really only personal experience that will drive the point through. You could get lucky, but you could also end up with a sick pet that ends up dying and costing you hundreds of dollars in vet bills.

Edit: As an addendum, Jess does have some really good points there. Even without getting into the whole "it's the right thing to do"-factor, adopting a rabbit from a shelter will also make it easier for you. They'll probably be litter trained, almost certainly spayed/neutered, and they'll be somewhat used to human contact. The rabbits at a pet store are constantly in a loud environment with all sorts of children pulling and tugging at them from every direction. They'll probably be scared of you, won't ever have seen a litterbox, and you'll be looking to shell out a pretty penny in about 4-6 months to get them fixed. That's in addition to what I said above - your rabbit could just end up being sick and dying despite your best attempts.

Last edited by ak82; 08-13-2009 at 08:27 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

I feel bad now because I got my bunny from a pet store. But the thing is, I had no plans at the time to get a bunny at all. I had gone into the store to look at the animals, and this little white bunny just stole my heart. It wasn't just his look, but his personality too. He was so friendly and loveable. I couldn't resist!

My little Snow seems to have strong genetics. He's been sick a few times, almost near death even, but he's always managed to pull through. But I did get a bunny about 11 years back from the same pet store. I only had him for 2 years before he died of Snuffles (2 days before Christmas yet.) I got Snow several years later, even after promising myself I would never get a bunny again after watching my poor little Thumper die on me. There was just something about Snow when I first saw him. I had a feeling he would make me really happy, and he sure has!

I don't think I'll get another bunny, but from what I know now that I didn't know then, I would definitely adopt from a shelter if I change my mind.