please HELP baby wild rabbit emergancy. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation please HELP baby wild rabbit emergancy.

dogs found two baby rabbits. killed one, and i got the other one. its healthy and looks fine.... but its back legs dont work!!! taking it to a vet is NOT an option (please belive me, if it was up to me i would do it in a heart beat) and me keeping it to try to help it much longer is not an option.
anywhere i can take it?
i have no idea what to do with it. its sooo tiny. it does have its eyes open and its walkin tho (but not moving its hind legs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:32 PM

why cannt you take it to a vet, its a wild animal they will not make you pay the bills. take it to a wild animal shelter. where do you live, and what are you doing for it right now?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

i didnt know the vet wouldnt charge. i will call right away. i live in scottsville KY. and there are no wild animal shelters. right now the rabbit is in a box outside with some hay in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Call a vet and ask for a wildlife rehabber's number.

Or check these sites:
http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/...ilitators.html
http://www.wildlifecare.org/listkentucky.html

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

i just called. the vet DOES charge. i called three... all three charge.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Did you tell them it was a wild rabbit and you cannot keep it and would like to turn it over?

Stephanie

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

they still will charge! thats such bull crap. makes me soooo mad!!!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 05:59 PM

i would somehow try to get it to a vet before it dies, unless you
can bring it inside and try to hand feed it with an eyedropper? maybe a vet could at least tell you what you could feed it that would be safe? i think mother rabbits only return to feed their young like once or twice a day in the wild and if you could keep it warm in blankets and hand feed it maybe he/she will live?

i don't know if you can save it but if you can't bring it to a vet it's worth a try.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:01 PM

oh- and about how young does it appear to be? are you sure it's old enought o even use its back legs yet? i'm not quite sure how rabbits progress when growing?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

its very much able to move easy. just not its back side. it doesnt appear to young. its eyes are open and i believe it has ate some today.

i am very sorry i cannot take it to a vet. belive me if it was up to me i would. not one doubt in my heart i would rush it to the vet.
i went out to check on it... its active and has pretty bright eyes. looks sooo healthy other than those darn back legs not working
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

i have left a message at two diffrent places. someone from the fish and game department might come pick it up. i also left a message at a camp that is known to rehabilitate some wild life.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 06:21 PM

I can not believe that the vet will charge thatís just wrong, the ones I know just donít but Iím not near you so...

Like every one said try to keep him warm, use leaf litter if you can or hay that will be more natural and warm for the little gut. if you can feed him use a eyedropper or syringe of some sort and you could try a little look warm milk if you donít have access to puppy milk like lactol etc.
I hope you can find some one to take him, for your sake and his. Itís not right that the vet will not help but still what can we do.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

i feel confiandant that that camp will take the poor little rabbit. i will be sure and tell you what i find out. right now he has has in the box and some oat hay. i dont really know what to do about a sorce of water for him. i know he is pretty young, and will not drink for a bottle.... i could imagine him drinking from a dish either. i suposse he should have foods in there that contain mositer to keep him hydrated.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If the rabbit doesn't have any white on it's head and is alert and eyes are open, don't offer milk of any sort. By that point, they're usually on their own.

Here's a good site:
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

Stephanie

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Another wildlife link:
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contactA.htm#ky

Stephanie

Tags
animal shelter, animal shelters, hind legs, oat hay, wild animal