Please help me and Bayle get more attatched!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Please help me and Bayle get more attatched!!!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how i can get Bayle to respond to me better. He absolutely loves to be let out of his cage, he just learned that he can jump out and run around when the door is down. But if my boyfriend or I try to pet him, he just runs.... picking him up would be very close to impossible. Is there anything I can do to make him be more huggable or anything? He is only 9 weeks old, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but i hope he doesn't end up being a bunny that just doesn't like to be touched

Please help, any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh yeah, and more pics to come i promise!

~Mandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:18 PM

Bayle just needs to trust you more. At 9 weeks, a bunny is just excited to get out and run a mile in 10 seconds and explore his new surroundings. It's going to take some time to get him to calm down & want to be patted. Desexing at a later stage will help him calm down & be less flighty as well.

Not many bunnies like being picked up so you may just have to be happy with patting him. However, the more you interact with him & do pick him up, the easier it gets. Just don't force him to stay in the same spot if he wants to run & play as he'll only get scared of you & resent being picked up & cuddled.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks for the great advice boing.... I'll just be more patient and let him have his fun
Thanks a bunch!! Oh yeah, and we do plan on getting him/her "desexed" when he/she gets of age. So like you said, maybe that will help. I just want to cuddle with him soooo bad, he is just adorable. Thanks again!
~Mandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:26 PM

All bunnies love lots of attention so I'd say Bayle is on the right track to being your cuddle buns. Use some of his favourite food to encourage him to sit with you so you can bond with him.

Also some bunnies respond really well to word association training so if you want him to come to you, repeat a word he will get to know & reward him with a bit of his favourite food. One of my bunnies responds to the word "kissy". She'll jump on me when I'm lying on the beanbag & put her nose out for a kiss. It's very cute!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:32 PM

Bunnies love to explore and they generally would rather run around than sit still and be petted. I think you just have to pet him while he is in his cage where he is calm and work on it there. First only one stroke over his body and then gradually increase the time.
But remember, don't ever force your rabbit to do something it doesn't want to do. Catching it while it is running can seriously damage trust. Most rabbits don't like being picked up as they are animals that get eaten. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks again for all of the information guys. Glad I now have someone to ask about my cute little Bayle. Last night FOR THE FIRST TIME!! YAY! He actually took a little treat from my hand... any suggestions on any really good treats for him? I wont be giving him a lot of these, do to the fact that he is only about 9 1/2 weeks old. I let down the cage door and let him come out as he wants when i'm in the room and can watch him. I lay on the floor when he is running around and he seemed to come up to my face a lot last night and sniff it. Probably trying to get more treats, but I think i'm off to a great start. Thanks again guys!
~Mandy

Oh yeah.... there should be more pics sometime today, probably this evening
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 03:14 PM

Pics? Yay! I'm glad you're doing well.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Check out this site for training rabbits: (http://www.clickertraining.com/train...s&itemnumber=3)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 09:54 PM

Lying on the floor with my bunnies helped alot. It lets them come to you on their terms. Your not so big and threatening if your lying relatively still on the ground. Thats how I bonded with my buns in the beginning.

Tags
sit still