Please keep your rabbit's nails short! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Unhappy Please keep your rabbit's nails short

Clipping a rabbit's nails is a difficult thing and is easy to put off. I learned first-hand today the importance of clipping your bunny's nails, no matter how hard it is. My poor bun Sonora was out running around this afternoon. When I checked on her I saw blood splattered on the carpet and the wall and I found a whole nail laying on the floor nearby. She has a tendency to dig in the carpet, and the nail probably was ripped out that way. I feel like such a terrible bunny mom. I take such good care of both my bunnies and I feel so bad that this happened. Her nails aren't even long but that just shows you how important it is to trim them often.

Surprisingly and thankfully, she seems to be doing fine and isn't even limping. I was on my way to the emergency vet clinic but decided to take her to my rabbit experienced vet who is in tomorrow (since she is acting normal. If her behavior changes I will take her to emergency right away).

Please keep your bunny's nails short so this doesn't happen to you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!

Last edited by veggiegirl; 08-13-2004 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Aww...Steph I am so sorry to hear about poor Senora! We do rabbit and dog nails once a week...all on the same day...Lucky's are short like cat claws, but poor Dutchie looked like he had never had it done before the first time we did it!..His were about a good inch long! He HATED getting it done and beat the crap outta his towel (needed it to hold him still without getting tore up) but I knew if we didn't do it, that same thing could happen! I hope she heals up okay for you and give her little tooties a kiss for me. Let us know how she's doing

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Mandie. I used to take her and Mo to the vet to have it done but I haven't been able to find anyone nearby to do it since I moved. Ironically I just told Mike last night I need him to hold the bunnies while I clip their nails. We probably would have done it tonight! They really don't look long though. It probably just happened when she was digging in the carpet. I guess I need to keep hers extra short from now on. I'll be keeping a close eye on her tonight and watching for tooth grinding or other signs of pain. I can't believe that she's acting as happy as can be right now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Aww...I hope she continues to do well for you. I know that HAS to be painful, but some animals are more tolorant than others...just keep an eye on the site and keep it clean...any sign of infection and take her to emergency vet, otherwise, she should be good through tomorrow if you can get her in to your bunny vet. Good luck

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Poor girl. Here's hoping it heals quickly!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well I just got back from the vet with Sonora, and the poor girl has her whole leg bandaged now. She absolutely hates the bandage too! I feel so sorry for her. She'll be on Baytril for a week just to play it safe, and she'll go back on Monday to get the bandage removed. I feel so bad for her. The good news is that the nail will grow back.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Playful Pup

awww poor girl! think that will slow up her digging in the carpet for awhile?? I'm so glad my bunnies don't do that -- but they get into plenty of other mischief. Btw, one of my cats (Charlie) looks identical to the one in your avatar.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GertieGirl
awww poor girl! think that will slow up her digging in the carpet for awhile??
LOL. No she still digs furiously, even with her hurt paw. She's a little high-strung but she's very sweet. She's doing ok with the bandage. She doesn't like it but she's not flipping out like I thought she would. I'm in total shock right now because I just gave her her medicince and she lapped it up out of a bowl totally voluntarily! My other rabbit throws this huge fit when he has to take Baytril. Sonora actually loves it like its a treat or something. I'm so relieved that I don't have to make my hubby hold her two times a day while I force Baytril down her throat! He's going to be thrilled when I finds out he's off the hook!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Playful Pup

that's too funny!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 02:17 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

awe steph sorry to hear about your bunny....I'm doing nail trims on my girls tonight...they don't get done often enough...I'm always scared that they'll kick out and then I'll make them bleed but your story has made me think and I'm going to do it more often now. I'm sure Sonora will be fine....she'll get used to the bandage to.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Update: I took Sonora to the vet yersterday to get her bandage taken off. She had chewed it all night long and it was hanging by a thread! The vet said her paw looks a lot better and to bring her back for a recheck in two weeks. She'll be on Baytril for the rest of the week. I'm so glad that she loves the stuff. It makes giving it to her so easy!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
Update: I took Sonora to the vet yersterday to get her bandage taken off. She had chewed it all night long and it was hanging by a thread! The vet said her paw looks a lot better and to bring her back for a recheck in two weeks. She'll be on Baytril for the rest of the week. I'm so glad that she loves the stuff. It makes giving it to her so easy!
Are you giving her a probiotic since she is on Baytril? How is her appetite? With all Skye is going through, I'm giving her a probiotic along with the Baytril to help keep her GI moving. Nature's Balance now makes it in a chewable form too so she might like that. I bought the softgels and just puncture them and squeeze the liquid into a raisin...Skye either likes the taste or doesn't care...I tasted the liquid...it didn't taste like anything to me! Not like the Baytril (which I also tasted) YUCK! Now I know why she fights it! LOL! I guess bunnies have different tastebuds than chins

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:04 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

aw veggers...you aren't a bad bunny mom! stuff like that just happens sometimes. i shaved penny and accidentely burned her. you didn't know it would happen.

i hope your bun bun is feeling better. good thing she likes the meds. makes it easier, eh? let us know how she is.

Tags
doing fine, emergency vet, vet clinic