Please read and post answer! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Exclamation Please read and post answer!

How many of you have indoor rabbits?

How many of you have outdoor rabbits?

Because I have an outdoor rabbit on the screened in back porch in a cage and I was thinking about asking my parents to let Ruby stay in my room. Still in her cage but this way when I let her out I will have more fun playing with her without the elements of the weather.

For those of you who have indoor rabbits, does your whole house smell like rabbit poo? And, like right now, Ruby is shedding like CRAZY! I mean, I pet her and hair just falls off her. And her cage is lined with a layer of hair. lol. So will my whole room be covered with her hair?

Thanks in advance!!

Miss Ruby Alice -- Mini-lop Rabbit (2.5 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy -- Toy Poodle (9 years old)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I believe most people here have indoor rabbits due to their weather

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Yep we have an indoor rabbit, and no our house doesnt smell like rabbit poo. Is your rabbit litter trained? If you get some aspen chips (not pine or cedar as they are harmful) and a litter pan, you can train your rabbit to potty there, then its alot easier to keep things cleaned up. Your rabbit is prolly shedding so much right now because the weather is changing outside. If you bring her inside to a more controlled environment, she might not shed as much. of course they still do shed, but usually mine only has a big shed once or twice a year. and even that is nothing a quick vacuum cant take care of.

http://www.rabbit.org/ this is a great website for house rabbit information.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

I always keep rabbits indoors. I feel like they stay safer indoors, and I love that I can interact with them more.

Rabbits don't make your house smell as long as you keep their cages clean. I don't think rabbit poop smells bad like some other animals, it's usually their pee that has a smell to it more so then their poop. If you can litter train then, it's really easy to keep things clean. Just clean the litter box.

Barnaby (and Zeus when he was alive) lives in my bedroom and I never have problems with the room smelling. Make sure to rabbit proof the room though, because they will chew things up!

She'll still shed when kept indoors, usually they'll have a couple of big sheds a year. Just brush her, and vaccuum or sweep the room she's in and it should be easy to keep clean.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 07:41 PM
is a little "special"

I have Smudge outside, but Id do anything to have him indoors. :C
But I keep his indoor cage in my room for when he runs around, and it doesnt smell at all if he pees in his litterbox... on my carpets a different story tho! xD
Ive attempted sleeping with him in my room once, but hes a very loud little guy, and I ended kicking him out and putting him in the hallway LOL!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I have 4 inside bunnies. I never have a problem with smells from the bunnies. I clean thier litter boxes 3 times a week. My buns are also all spayed/neutered. I think that makes a difference.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah - getting them fixed can greatly improve their litter box habits, reduces or eliminates bad behaviors such as urine spraying, and from my opinion, at least with males, it decreases the scent of their urine.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wow. Thanks you guys! I clean her cage when its outside every other day so it's a habit to clean it that often.. and she would only stay in my room. As for bunny proofing my room.. I have a bed that isn't on the ground. There is about 6 inches from the ground to the bottom of the bed. There isn't anything under there because it's a new bed and because of my surgery my room isn't messy so, is that all I need to do? Keep my room clean?

And what about power cords? I can only imagine what would happen if she chewed through a wire and hurt herself.. I don't have any open power "sockets".. whatever you want to call them because all of them are taken. I have 3 lamps, an electric blanket, my alarm clock, ext. Do I have to remove all of those things from my room?

Thanks so much for all your help everyone. You're posts will defiantly make a strong arguement with my parents and hopefully I win. lol.

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

-George Eliot

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

You don't necessarily have to remove the wires, you just have to make sure Ruby can't get to them. Either figure out a way to block off the areas where the wires are, or you can buy wire covers that wrap around the wires, to try to keep her from chewing the wires. I always try to block off what wires I can, and if there are some I can't, I wrap them in the protectors and kind of attach the wire to the wall, or wrap up the extra wire and put it up where the rabbits can't reach. The less wire that's down on their level the less they can possably get to to chew.

If you clean her cage that often and continue too when you move her inside, then I doupt you'll have any issues with her smelling.

Pretty much you just need to keep the room clean - but keep in mind that some rabbits will chew on things like furnature and basboards. Also, if you have rug in your room, some rabbits loooove to chew on and rip up sections of rug.

The best thing to do I think, unless you can completly rabbit proof the room, is just to only let her out while your there to supervise. That way if there's something like rug or furnature that you can't really block off, you can stop her if she starts chewing it. Even if your just in the room reading a book or watching tv, and keep an eye on her, that's fine.

If you don't already have an indoor cage, Neat Idea Cubes are really cheap and fun to set up. I got mine at Wal*mart for like $15 a box, and with just one or two boxes you can make some awesome cages for them.

Here are some links for you to check out

http://members.aol.com/bunrabtoo/neatcubs.html
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/rabbit-proofing.html
http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/mercha...=2TrainingAids

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thanks! I think I might order like two of those protective cords because I have a lot of wires! haha. And I do have an indoor cage. It was only about $90 which is good for the size of the cage. The FAQ Rabbit Proofing article helped too. And my parents still have to talk about whether or not I can keep her in my room.

-George Eliot

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Betta Bomb

i hope they say yes. the very least they can do is give you a chance! i only had female rabbits and they only went outside on a harness,they live indoors. the only smell i get is when i close the door to their room at night to prevent the cat from picking at them-but its thwe garbage bag and not actually the bunnies,both are litter trained on Yesterday's News which controls odor like heaven!! i use alot of hay so the little bits of that fragrance the air and knock out my allergies real bad so i cant smell at all hahaha!!
i saw pvc tubing at home hardware to cover wires with,then at least if the bunny gets to it theres a chance to correct the behavior before chewing through to the wire.i also constructed my pens with Rubbermaid cubes.in the laundry section at wal mart for only 20$ i needed 2 pkgs. to make the smallest pen i have but i bought an extra one for lining the perimeter of my bed so they cant get under and chew the underside of the bed,hide and not come out,or chew exposed wires or walls.

good luck and one other note,if she's shedding i found taking Acacia(she was the worse shedder) outside to brush her during the warmer months and all the fur flew away on the breeze! that way there was no mess inside,but while its colder neither of them are shedding but i do all the grooming in the bathroom for easy cleanup!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Adolescent Pup

As others have said, make sure she stays in her cage when you're not there to watch her. Even if you think the room's bunny-proof, Ruby's likely to find something to chew on that you didn't think of. Flash likes to chew on carpet, the corners of walls, furniture, etc.

I also have one lamp that's on the floor, with the wire at the bottom, and I wrapped it with that plastic covering stuff, and he partially chewed through the plastic. I actually put a weighted cardboard box on top of most of the cord, so now he's more interested in chewing the box than the wire. That's just how Flash plays - he likes the challenge of trying to move/shred big, heavy things.

As for the smell, I only clean Flash's litter boxes twice per week, and the only time it smells is when I occasionally get so busy/lazy that I go 5 or 6 days without cleaning them. Even then, if I just dump the litter boxes and put in new litter, the smell goes away, even if I don't take the time to thoroughly clean his cage. I'm lucky that he's very good about his litter box training.

I can't give any advise on the shedding. Flash is a short hair rabbit, so even when he does shed, it's not that terrible.

--Fromper
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Betta Bomb

well Acacia is also short hair too and i got some load of it off her!! she kept growing it to shed it seemed!!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok well, my mom said her vote is no because my sister is allergic to bunnies and my mom is afraid Ruby's hair or scent is going to get into her room is the rest of the house. but she said to see what my dad's definite answer is and if he says yes then she'll think about it. so he gets back tomorrow afternoon from a trip so if he says no, it's a no. i just hope he actually listens to me. haha.

-George Eliot

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:28 PM
is a little "special"

I hope you can keep her inside!
For bunny proofing my room, I just make "walls" around off limit things, like electrical cords, wirh NIC cubes! It works really well, and I can leave Smudge for a little while without worring what he gets into!
Just make sure Ruby doesnt learn how to jump on your bed... Smudge figured that ou when he was attacking me to give him treats LOL, and its not fun to find little suprises in your covers!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."