Please recognise what breed I am? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

More than cute,each of them has such different personalities. Betty is much less scared of noises than Barney. He jump vertically at oises(rather funnily!!)and then scarpers to some corner.He has found areas that havent been cleaned properly under sofas etc to squeeze into.Once his he returned with a reall dirty ehad full of dust.He has managed to crawl under the bed,to a point of no mans land.(ie: Cannot be reached with a broom from either side of the bed!)He returned looking like Laurel and hardy,after a comic construction escapade. Betty on the other hand is much calmer.She also has a varied appetitie.Whereas barney sticks to greens and rabbit feed,Betty likes apples,bread,rusks,indian chappati etc.I am trying to get Barney to improve his range of food also but it is proving difficult.
As for training, I sometimes think I have succeeded in getting them to litter on a folded piece of cloth.Infact,daily,I c more and more visits to teh place and remenants left behind.Bett seems to like a shag pile floor mat.But when I hide that, she goes on the correct place.I have tried to rabbit proof my rooms with netting,but have intentionally left under the bed etc.available so they feel safe and have a place to hide. The worst thing is getting them out of there at night,when it is time for them to go into their home for bed.The long time I have to bend and crouch under the bed to coax them out is playing havoc with my back.(But I must admit I love it!!)
I am finding it difficult to discipline them.At times I have found my self scolding them as one would a little child,before realising what I was doing.They just give me(especially Barney) those big Bunny eyes and I can no longer b angry at them?/I think they know that and use it whenever they can!!
I hope they grow up to be well brought up and socially responsible adults...(there I go again treating them like children...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

sorry can't help you on a breed either but they do like abit netherland dwarf but it's so hard to tell from pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

The more I research, the more they look like New Zealand Whites to me.BTW, how does one recognise their gender?? I hope I am not giving them an identit crises for later life by calling them the wrong gender all teh time!! lol....

BTW, Both of them have suddenly started finding the wall plaster tasty?? I don't know if there is something in the mix in wall plaster in India which appeals to them??Oh yes, and barney has developed a liking for licking my elbows as I lie on the floor next to him?
I know dogs did that but did not realise bunnies do also? Do they?
What is the growth rate of these fellows? Barney suddenly seems a lot larger today?

And also, any ideas when they start mating?? I read somewhere tht the does are able to conceive quite fast after their birth.is this true? Surely their organs aren't developed yet?(Even though their sexual appetites may have...))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to ask, is there any harm in Betty eating wall plaster?(Apart from slowly ruining the look of my walls). I mean health wise for her?
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 12:45 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

are these rabbits brother and sister if so i would seperate as brother and sister breedings is a BIG NO NO.

post #21 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Here's a page for telling genders: http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Rabbits/rabsex.html

Most vets should be able to tell, too.

I think eating wall plaster would probably be bad for them so I would try to stop them. Do they have lots of chew toys? Giving them fun things to do will make them less likely to eat the plaster.

Rabbits will "groom" people as a sign of affection .

Females can give birth as early as four months old...sometimes even earlier. So I would really seperate them and not put them back together until they've been spayed/neutered.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #22 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 4 the link.

1) How do I get a photo as part of my signature. When I tried to upload it thru my profile section,it did not work?I c some of u have quite large pictures there but I saw a limitation in my profile of 100kb?

2) Is the reason for not letting siblings breed one that is moral or is it due to the scientific problem of proliferation of genetic defaults?
post #23 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Thks for the link Sasami.They r a bit young and mayb not as well developed.Wwhen I turned them over as per instructions,I wasn't very successful in distinguishing them apart.

As for not letting siblings breed, is that mearly a Moral suggestion or is it based on concerns regarding proliferation of Genetic defects?

I have another concern.It is starting to get hot in India now,and air conditioners will soon start to b used indoors. R there any particular precautions I need to take for Barney & Betty during the day and at night?I mean, I guess people in other airconditioned areas must be keeping rabbits.What precautions do they suggest?
post #24 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 11:31 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

breeding brother and sister can cause kits with deformenies so not recommended, since the genes from the brother and sister are so closely related

post #25 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

I have now added 2 videos of barney at:-

Video of The Rubbles at play - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One of them is long so may take some time to load.

Can anyone look at him and identify male or female?? He seems to have a large neck and head like a male, but he is also larger than Betty and everywhere I read females r larger??

Pls help.
post #26 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer18
Thanks 4 the link.

1) How do I get a photo as part of my signature. When I tried to upload it thru my profile section,it did not work?I c some of u have quite large pictures there but I saw a limitation in my profile of 100kb?

2) Is the reason for not letting siblings breed one that is moral or is it due to the scientific problem of proliferation of genetic defaults?
First you upload it to photobucket like you did with your video. Next you go to "User CP" and then "Edit Signature". There's a button and when you highlight it with your mouse it will say "Insert Image"...it lookes like a picture. It'll ask you for the picture URL and just paste the one from photobucket.

That's assuming you aren't using plain html.

As for the breeding siblings it's not a good idea because it can cause a lot of genetical problems. You may very well end up with deformed babies. Not to mention breeding rabbits with unknown genetical backrounds is bad anyways. It would be best to spay/neuter them but if there isn't a vet who can do that you should probably seperate them.

Quote:
I have another concern.It is starting to get hot in India now,and air conditioners will soon start to b used indoors. R there any particular precautions I need to take for Barney & Betty during the day and at night?I mean, I guess people in other airconditioned areas must be keeping rabbits.What precautions do they suggest?
They are inside, right? I can't think of any way air conditioning would be bad. Rabbits actually can't tolerate high temperatures so it's good you have it.

Quote:
I have now added 2 videos of barney at:-

Video of The Rubbles at play - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One of them is long so may take some time to load.

Can anyone look at him and identify male or female?? He seems to have a large neck and head like a male, but he is also larger than Betty and everywhere I read females r larger??

Pls help.
Very cute . But you can't really tell the gender without flipping them over. Size doesn't matter too much especially if they are mixed breeds. Is there a vet in your area who could tell for you?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #27 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

I hear from the rabbit owner, that he thought the were australian 'amburie'?? Not sure of the second part.Cant find it on the net.Does it sound familiar or similar to some other breed name?
post #28 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

I hear
post #29 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Finally found a vet that I felt cared for my companions and not just the money!!!(Let me tell u,i found 2 kinds. THose that care for the pets and those that sweet talk the owners/companions...)Has anyone else found the same???

I have finally classified Betty & Barney.(oops...was calling the wrong one by the wrong name...hope it is not too confusing for them when I change their names...- anyideas anyone!!)

Got them anti-rabies injections.(Recommended in India for all pets).Both the rubbles were a bit panicked with the car journey and the strange man picking them up etc...(I personally thought he was quite harsh at handling them but he ensured me,that he has done this many times before and this was the best way,as they dont wriggle and the injection can be given speedily.But I did feel like the brute taking them there.I brought them home ASAP and put them into familiar surroundings. They were it seemed angry with me. They just sat there and I had to lift them out of their cage and place them on teh floor and hand feed them their favourite corriander leaves. Betty(the new one) is getting back to normal but Barney is still sitting by himself.He ate the leaves when I hand fed him but that was it. He has gone and sat in his favoutire spot in the room and has not budged!! I hope I can regain his trust soon,as it feels bad since I cannot communicate to them that it was for their own good...

OH THE HEARTACHES DEVELOPING A NEW FRIENDSHIP ENTAILS!!
post #30 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

BTW,the vet thinks they r Australian Angurie? Does this sound familiar to anyone??
He says I shud get barney Sprayed and not Betty as it is easier and less stressful.But I am not sure.It just doesn't fit with me morally. I have checked and the Rubbles arent siblings.

My moral predelictions towards flowing with nature in my own life, are causing a moral dilemma for me.I feel by spraying Barney, I am going to be trying to do something unnatural to him,purely because I choose that they shudn't breed. It makes me think that who am I to CHOOSE!!

I bet some of u out there have had a similar dilemma. Pls advise me what I shud do.

Thks.

Tags
alfalfa hay, aspen shavings, breeding pair, cardboard box, cardboard boxes, chew toy, chew toys, food dishes, gestation period, guinea pig, holland lop, holland lops, house rabbit, house rabbit society, house rabbits, litter box, litter box training, litter boxes, litter train, litter trained, litter training, litter tray, males together, mixed breed, mixed breeds, netherland dwarf, neutered male, pet shop, pet shops, rabbit society, snake food, timothy hay, wonderful pets, wood shavings