Please recognise what breed I am? - Page 5 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Srry fr taking so long to post. have been very busy at work. The flntstones r growing up.THey have almost mastered the litter tray but occassionaly forget.Atleast they have mastered where to pee...

A few days ago I had a scare.Fred was what appeared to be playing with Wilma,chasing her around and trying to mount her but from the wrong direction.I remember Betty had a similar spell a while ago and I was advised at this forum that it cud b just a show of domination etc. But things got a bit hairy and I jumped into action when Wilma let out a spueal.I shooed away fred ad wilma was scared.Some of her fur had been ripped off .She seemed to run to a corner as did Fred.I hung around to check on Wilma.She soon reappeared back near me and let me examine her,although a bit scared and shaken.I thought I had finally gained her trust but later on they were both back to normal,running away when I come near!! I thnk gaining their trust is going to take tie. The rubbles let me touch them all the time now and Bett even has a penchant of flopping down spreadout near my feet.If I leave m slipeprs on the floor somewhere,she will find them and flop down beside them? Is this normal behaviour?...

I have followed advice from all of you and now feed them in their cage at night.It has made getting them to go into their cages a lot easer.But dont know if I shud b letting them exercise after food outside their cages or is t OK that after dinenr,they remain in their cages for the night??

PS: Betty has started literally throqing her weight around. She finds a spot she likes and regardless of the others being there,she flops spreadeagled and others have to make way!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Srry fr taking so long to post. have been very busy at work. The flntstones r growing up.THey have almost mastered the litter tray but occassionaly forget.Atleast they have mastered where to pee...

A few days ago I had a scare.Fred was what appeared to be playing with Wilma,chasing her around and trying to mount her but from the wrong direction.I remember Betty had a similar spell a while ago and I was advised at this forum that it cud b just a show of domination etc. But things got a bit hairy and I jumped into action when Wilma let out a spueal.I shooed away fred ad wilma was scared.Some of her fur had been ripped off .She seemed to run to a corner as did Fred.I hung around to check on Wilma.She soon reappeared back near me and let me examine her,although a bit scared and shaken.I thought I had finally gained her trust but later on they were both back to normal,running away when I come near!! I thnk gaining their trust is going to take tie. The rubbles let me touch them all the time now and Bett even has a penchant of flopping down spreadout near my feet.If I leave m slipeprs on the floor somewhere,she will find them and flop down beside them? Is this normal behaviour?...

I have followed advice from all of you and now feed them in their cage at night.It has made getting them to go into their cages a lot easer.But dont know if I shud b letting them exercise after food outside their cages or is t OK that after dinenr,they remain in their cages for the night??

PS: Betty has started literally throqing her weight around. She finds a spot she likes and regardless of the others being there,she flops spreadeagled and others have to make way!!
post #63 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer18

The chasing is probably because Fred is becoming sexually mature. If he isn't neutered I'd seperate them because otherwise he might get her pregnant which would be bad at such a young age. Once he's neutered they can go back together .

She's probably hanging out by your slippers because they smell like you . It probably makes her feel safe. Plus I think rabbits love slippers for some reason, lol. I had a rabbit who would always groom and sleep with mine.

I think that depends on when you feed them. If you are feeding them earlier in the evening then you might want to let them out again an hour or two later so they can run around before bed. But if you do that make sure to have a treat or some fresh pellets waiting for them in the cage when they have to go back. If you feed them at night then caging them for the rest of the night is probably fine .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Just wanted to share:- Fred & Wilma let me pet them today!!! Hope it continues...
post #65 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Just wanted to share:- Fred & Wilma let me pet them today!!! Hope it continues...
Yay!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #66 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

A question of eyes?

Barney has taken to licking all the others eyes as if he is cleaning them. The others also let him do it untl he touches a senstive part and then they run? Is this licking/cleaning normal?Surely it is dangerous for the others??

BTW, got them a brand new 4ft cage today.I was finding that with the 4 of them and the Rubbles growing up, things were getting a bit tight for the nightly approx 10hrs that they spend in there. But I have a question. SHould I link the cages up, so that the old cage becomes their litter tray. With them growing up,most of the old cage had become the litter tray?
Or
Shud I make separate litter trays in each cage and keep the smaller flintstones in the small cage and the larger Rubbles in the large cage.This is fine,but what is to stop the wrong ones going into the wrong cage during the da and messing it up??ie: Littering in the wrong cage?

The benefit of this is that I can separate the men and/or separate them by size.

Advice pls...

Anotehr question. I recently bought and ebook abt adopting a rabbit but it doesnt tell me some important things:-

1) What is the best way to approach and pick up a rabbit.(small and normal ones?)
2) What is the pregnancy time period/gestation period for Rabbits?
3) How can one recognise if their rabbit is pregnant?(visually I mean rather than chemically thru blood tests?)

Can someone out there pls educate me on this.
Thks.
post #67 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Barney has taken to licking all the others eyes as if he is cleaning them. The others also let him do it untl he touches a senstive part and then they run? Is this licking/cleaning normal?Surely it is dangerous for the others??

BTW, got them a brand new 4ft cage today.I was finding that with the 4 of them and the Rubbles growing up, things were getting a bit tight for the nightly approx 10hrs that they spend in there. But I have a question. SHould I link the cages up, so that the old cage becomes their litter tray. With them growing up,most of the old cage had become the litter tray?
Or
Shud I make separate litter trays in each cage and keep the smaller flintstones in the small cage and the larger Rubbles in the large cage.This is fine,but what is to stop the wrong ones going into the wrong cage during the da and messing it up??ie: Littering in the wrong cage?

The benefit of this is that I can separate the men and/or separate them by size.

Advice pls...
Keep an eye out for possible eye problems. Sometimes rabbits will groom another bunny's eyes because they are teary. But he might just be a big groomer. I wouldn't worry unless they look irratated.

Well, you really need to seperate males from females. So I would pick the second one only so you can do that. Once they are fixed I'd link the cages together .

Quote:
Anotehr question. I recently bought and ebook abt adopting a rabbit but it doesnt tell me some important things:-

1) What is the best way to approach and pick up a rabbit.(small and normal ones?)
2) What is the pregnancy time period/gestation period for Rabbits?
3) How can one recognise if their rabbit is pregnant?(visually I mean rather than chemically thru blood tests?)

Can someone out there pls educate me on this.
Thks.
1.) Rabbits don't like to be picked up for the most part. Actually, I wouldn't pick them up too much in the beginning because you might lose their trust. When I pick up mine I first start by petting and talking to them calmly. Then I place one hand under their belly and the other under their rear and lift them. I place them against my chest so they feel supported. I hope that makes sense!
2.) 29 to 35 days but usually 31
3.) You probably won't be able to tell until right before she gives birth. You'll see a weight gain, her teats will fill with milk, and she'll start pulling out her chest fur to build a nest.

~Stephanie

post #68 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 08:21 PM

cute bunnies
post #69 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

The suggestion to separate by gender was gud but it is Betty who is chasing and hassling Wilma.(In fact she also picks on Fred & NOT BARNEY!!)
Is it possible she is thinking of Wilma as competition? R bunnies monogamous?

I inspected Barney and saw two large bean shaped growths.Wud they b his testicles??

Is there anywhere where the genetalia of bunnies is shown diagramatically so that I can recognise the different parts and not ask such questions??he...he..he..
post #70 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
The suggestion to separate by gender was gud but it is Betty who is chasing and hassling Wilma.(In fact she also picks on Fred & NOT BARNEY!!)
Is it possible she is thinking of Wilma as competition? R bunnies monogamous?

I inspected Barney and saw two large bean shaped growths.Wud they b his testicles??

Is there anywhere where the genetalia of bunnies is shown diagramatically so that I can recognise the different parts and not ask such questions??he...he..he..
Females are just naturally territorial...they can be worse then males sometimes. It should stop or at least calm down once she's spayed .

Yup, time for him to get neutered, haha.

How to Sex Your Rabbits

~Stephanie

post #71 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Ive set up their new cage and cleaned everything today.Repositioned their setup to a more shaded place a place where they like to hang out. Put new litter baskets in both their cages.New cage mounted water bottles.New heavy ceramic food dishes.etc. Hope they take to it.It cost me a bomb and took me ages but if they like it it will b worth it. I also got them new wood chip bedding.However,they continue to poo on the new material instead of the litter basket now?? Is there something more I shud b doing to encourage them apart from outting their favourite bites in teh litter basket etc?

I also have to get the Rubbles used to their new larger cage.In fact this cage also has some sort of opening in the roof.Any idea what this is for? The documentation with the cage was terrible!!
post #72 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Ive set up their new cage and cleaned everything today.Repositioned their setup to a more shaded place a place where they like to hang out. Put new litter baskets in both their cages.New cage mounted water bottles.New heavy ceramic food dishes.etc. Hope they take to it.It cost me a bomb and took me ages but if they like it it will b worth it. I also got them new wood chip bedding.However,they continue to poo on the new material instead of the litter basket now?? Is there something more I shud b doing to encourage them apart from outting their favourite bites in teh litter basket etc?

I also have to get the Rubbles used to their new larger cage.In fact this cage also has some sort of opening in the roof.Any idea what this is for? The documentation with the cage was terrible!!
What kind of wood shavings are they? Pine and cedar are both bad for bunnies (in fact, cedar is bad for people too!). Aspen is fine . Are you using them everywhere or just in the litterboxes? Rabbits don't need bedding...sometimes it just confuses them and they start to think the whole cage is their litterbox. Also, you'll find litter-training is going to be almost impossible until they've been spayed/neutered. What they are doing right now is marking their territory...you'll want to get them fixed soon so it doesn't become a habit. Oh, and putting hay in the litterboxes really helps if you aren't already doing that.

The cage probably has a door on the top to make it easier to get to them .

~Stephanie

post #73 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

I will check abt the type of shavngs. I know that they are impored from Eu or USA and on the pack it says epsecially for guinea pigs and rabbits.
I am using it as bedding. The litter boxes have the mix of old litter and old bedding.

If I dont give them bedding, then the cage only has a plastic base.Infact the bedding came with the cage from the manufacturers.
However,in both the cages, the bunnies have ben lying in the litterbasket instead of the fresh bedding. I guess they feel more familiar with the old smell.Will they take to the new bedding n time or shud leave some litter there also?

Is the beddng ok?
post #74 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

My bunnies never had any bedding. I have had them in a plastic bottom cage. If I felt bad I would put a towel in or some fleece fabric for them to lay on. To be honest they would mostly pee on it until they became litter trained. I now have a ton of hand towels.
I put hay in the litter boxes. It sounds gross but it really works for litter training. All three of them nibble and poo. I have read they won't eat any hay that is soiled so you need to be sure to change it. I clean out the litter boxes every evening and I add more hay every morning. I also have a litter box for each bunny.
Definitely keep those boys away from the girls. It sounds like the "boys" are becoming "men". I have heard it can happen in less than 5 minutes.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #75 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I will check abt the type of shavngs. I know that they are impored from Eu or USA and on the pack it says epsecially for guinea pigs and rabbits.
I am using it as bedding. The litter boxes have the mix of old litter and old bedding.

If I dont give them bedding, then the cage only has a plastic base.Infact the bedding came with the cage from the manufacturers.
However,in both the cages, the bunnies have ben lying in the litterbasket instead of the fresh bedding. I guess they feel more familiar with the old smell.Will they take to the new bedding n time or shud leave some litter there also?

Is the beddng ok?
Sadly, pine and cedar beddings usually do say they are great for rabbits. The companies just care about money, I guess . Aspen shavings and paper-based beddings are much better choices .

Most rabbits actually prefer to lie on the plastic, haha. Or you could use towels, old blankets, straw mats, etc. Like I said, bedding just makes litter-training even harder. Though it will definitely be easier once they've been fixed .

~Stephanie

Tags
alfalfa hay, aspen shavings, breeding pair, cardboard box, cardboard boxes, chew toy, chew toys, food dishes, gestation period, guinea pig, holland lop, holland lops, house rabbit, house rabbit society, house rabbits, litter box, litter box training, litter boxes, litter train, litter trained, litter training, litter tray, males together, mixed breed, mixed breeds, netherland dwarf, neutered male, pet shop, pet shops, rabbit society, snake food, timothy hay, wonderful pets, wood shavings