Please recognise what breed I am? - Page 6 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

UPSET!!!--- Saw Betty chasing Wilma again yesterday.As she passed me I caught her and I dont know what besot me but I turned her over to check her.I was shocked to see her extruding penis and two teticiular shapes!!! My earlier confusions etc have been cleared. The pet shop has given me two males!!!Now I have 3 males and 1 female!!

That apart,my main worry is that twice the Vet who sits at the pet shop has assured me that Betty is the female.Now I don't think Betty is a Hermaphrodite.So either the Vet did not know or was protecting the shop owner.Either way,I do not want to let him operate on the bunnies!!Am I right to think this? But that leaves me with the problem of finding another vet.The guy who does the embassies has refused.

Another problem is how to explain to my little nephew and niece abt this mess.Do I change Betty's name or leave it as it is and not tell the kids anything.As yet they do not associate Male and female with the names,just the size difference to differentiate between Betty & Barney. I am really upset and confused what to do.Pls advise me.

If I find a vet to operate on Wilma,atleast she will b protected.Wud that b a solution??Is there a problem with leaving the guys as the r and only protecting Wilma,which wud defacto solve the pregnancy problem??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer18
UPSET!!!--- Saw Betty chasing Wilma again yesterday.As she passed me I caught her and I dont know what besot me but I turned her over to check her.I was shocked to see her extruding penis and two teticiular shapes!!! My earlier confusions etc have been cleared. The pet shop has given me two males!!!Now I have 3 males and 1 female!!

That apart,my main worry is that twice the Vet who sits at the pet shop has assured me that Betty is the female.Now I don't think Betty is a Hermaphrodite.So either the Vet did not know or was protecting the shop owner.Either way,I do not want to let him operate on the bunnies!!Am I right to think this? But that leaves me with the problem of finding another vet.The guy who does the embassies has refused.

Another problem is how to explain to my little nephew and niece abt this mess.Do I change Betty's name or leave it as it is and not tell the kids anything.As yet they do not associate Male and female with the names,just the size difference to differentiate between Betty & Barney. I am really upset and confused what to do.Pls advise me.

If I find a vet to operate on Wilma,atleast she will b protected.Wud that b a solution??Is there a problem with leaving the guys as the r and only protecting Wilma,which wud defacto solve the pregnancy problem??
I hope you have your one female seperate otherwise she's probably pregnant. If you could easily tell you had males then that means they are sexually mature. It's hard to say what to do with the whole vet situation =/. If he saw them when they were really young it might've been an honest mistake. But it also could mean he just doesn't know much about rabbits. I would ask how many rabbits he sees a month and how many spays/neuters he performs every year or so. That should tell you how experienced he is .

A few years ago both my brother and sister each got a rabbit about a month or two apart. They were both supposed to be females but ended up being males. We just left the names since that's what they were used to . And my sister would still call her rabbit a girl by mistake, lol. It's not like the rabbits care...I'd do whatever you want.

Yeah, there is a problem with leaving the males intact. Un-neutered males almost always start fighting and the fights can be pretty bad. I've seen it firsthand and they were rabbits who had been together since they were babies . With a female around it'll make them even more likely to fight even if she's spayed...they still know she's a girl. That's why when keeping multiple rabbits it's really best to have them all spayed/neutered. You wouldn't want to come home one day to find that two of them got in a bad fight or something. And believe me, rabbit fights are really bad. Worse then dog fights most of the time, it seems . They are territorial little critters, lol.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #78 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh no! Betty is a male? Definitely keep poor Wilma away from them. Sasami is right - bunny fights can be bad. And from what I have heard my girls fights are no big deal.
Good luck finding a vet to spay and neuter them. What if the vet was covering and you had already brought Betty in - you may have never know she was a he!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

I think the vet actually doesn't know much abt rabbits. He had quietly added last time that in the past one Male he had neutered,still made a female pregnant!! I thought he was kidding but I know now that he was just admitting his inexperience with rabbits,however covertly.

I feel guilty now. I have tried to do the right thing by keeping the females together and now it seems that I may have been instrumental in caging together a male and a female!!

How will I know if she is pregnant??Wud the males still be trying to mount her if she was??
post #80 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

In his defense males can still get the females pregnant for weeks after the neuter. There is a debate on how long. I believe I read it could happen even up to 6 weeks after.
It's not your fault. You thought they were both females - and you believe that because a doctor told you so.
Well you will know in about 30 days for sure. I would say that you could try and get Wilma spayed now to interupt her pregnancy but I know my vet didn't want to do that since bunnies are already so sensitive to anesthesia. Although I have heard other vets will. I also am torn since I would not want to abort the babies. Although, I hate to admit this, when I thought that it could hurt Ophelia to be a mom so young I was willing to.
Could you call the embassy vets and explain what is going on now? Maybe they would be more willing to see you?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:28 PM

Question Sooooo Cuteeeee

What breed is this sweetie??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MYM'S-top.jpg (17.9 KB, 12 views)
post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

The latest is that Barney & Betty r behaving differently. Whenever either Fred or WIlma tries to come close to me when I am lying on the floor near them,Betty runs across the room to come inbetween me & them. Barney chases Fred away whenever he sees him near me.Is this odd behaviour or normal?
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
The latest is that Barney & Betty r behaving differently. Whenever either Fred or WIlma tries to come close to me when I am lying on the floor near them,Betty runs across the room to come inbetween me & them. Barney chases Fred away whenever he sees him near me.Is this odd behaviour or normal?
They are probably just jealous of each other. Especially now since their hormones are going nuts. Be careful because teenager rabbits often fight before they've been spayed/neutered.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

I notice that while Barney has long whiskers,niether Betty,Fred or Wilma have any whic=skers to write home abt?? Is this healthy??

Does their pee leave a white stain?? Is this because of the ammonia or something which indicates ill health?
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:08 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
I notice that while Barney has long whiskers,niether Betty,Fred or Wilma have any whic=skers to write home abt?? Is this healthy??

Does their pee leave a white stain?? Is this because of the ammonia or something which indicates ill health?
Maybe one of the rabbits is chewing off the whiskers of the other bunnies? Are you sure they don't just have short ones?

The white-ish urine is usually caused by too much calcium in the diet. What are you feeding them right now? If you are giving them alfalfa hay I would cut back on that and give them timothy hay.

~Stephanie

post #86 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

The pecking order seems to have changed. Betty is now the leader of the pack.Even Barney lowers his head when Betty is near and basically does not get in the way. He prods and chases away Fred instead. Wilma, the only female in the pack,seems o choose which guy she wants to be near and just when he is getting frisky,she either sits low to the ground where I presume the guy's organ's cannot reach or she scarpers!! Sometimes Betty looksk dumb as he starts of chasing after Wilma,she cleverly crosses paths with Fred and then Betty ends up chasing Fred. When he catches up,he sniffs under him,realises to his shock the mixup then comically scarpers around the room looking for WIlma.She meanwhile has found her safe place and watches him,almost giggling!!
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

the thread continues after a new phase in life at:-

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f27/f...tml#post467381
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 03:13 PM

dutch?
post #89 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 08:47 PM

I too have no idea what breed they are, but they are ADORABLE!

Tags
alfalfa hay, aspen shavings, breeding pair, cardboard box, cardboard boxes, chew toy, chew toys, food dishes, gestation period, guinea pig, holland lop, holland lops, house rabbit, house rabbit society, house rabbits, litter box, litter box training, litter boxes, litter train, litter trained, litter training, litter tray, males together, mixed breed, mixed breeds, netherland dwarf, neutered male, pet shop, pet shops, rabbit society, snake food, timothy hay, wonderful pets, wood shavings