Please say it means something else too... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Please say it means something else too...

I came home from my weekend today, and first think i did is check on my gang, they are all doing great!
BUT Ani has a handful of hair in her cage all pulled out.

Is there any possible way it means anything other then she's pregnant?

I checked her belly quickly, and well I couldn't see anywhere with bare spots. I also asked my friend who was caring for them while I was away if she had seen anymore hair clumps and maybe picked them up, she said no.
So Ani just did it this afternoon.

Could this mean ANYTHING else?
or do i start panicking now!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

She's probably going through a false pregnancy...it's common for un-spayed females to do that especially in the precense (sp?) of male rabbits (even if they're neutered).

But honestly, there aren't many ways to tell if she's pregnant besides waiting.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I sure hope so.

This is how much fur I found -

man i can't wait to get her spayed LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oh, that's nothing compared to the amount Elvis pulls out when making nests...and he's a neutered male!!

Sakura isn't spayed because of her age and weak heart so once she went through a false pregnancy...not only did she make a nest but she also gained weight and everything! And even now once in a blue moon she pulls out some fur.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

= ^ _ ^ =

Why only the other day I pulled twice as much hair as that from my belly, mind you it was very windy outside and the warm air just got sucked out of the conservatory.

And now Jonathan thinks we will have a blizzard at the end of May.

Mew = ^ _ ^ = lol

Yes Toky-Ohki has been pulling her hair out again, but she will be six this year and un-neutered, Schneeball has'nt been to visit her so I'd say that Bunnies are a good predictor of weather changes.

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

lol! thats about the amount of hubbies belly botton lint.
yeah i hope she is just going through a false pregnacy. i heard they can even lactate during a false pregnacy

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Newborn Pup

The first time I saw Flopsy do that, I thought she was freaking out or something and I thought she was trying to choke herself with fur...lol. The vet told me it was a false prego and not to worry. She's only done that twice in the 4 years I've had her. Don't be alarmed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am new to bunnies but are babies that bad? What could happen? I would never try to breed anything (okay other than fish but I wasn't trying they just did it!) but things happen. Is it dangerous?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathydip
I am new to bunnies but are babies that bad? What could happen? I would never try to breed anything (okay other than fish but I wasn't trying they just did it!) but things happen. Is it dangerous?
I volunteer for a rescue we have around 300 bunnies in need of homes.. that that's just OUR rescue, not the SPCA, or even the tons in local pet shops. There is no need to bring more rabbits into the world when there are so many in need of homes (some even on death row just b/c no one wants them )
We had a rescue Momma who died while giving birth, so there are also health risks.
In my case i definetly don't want to loose Ani to that, I don't have the $$ or room to keep more then the 3 rabbits I allready have rescued, and then pay to get them all spayed/neutered so it won't happen again.

I'm going to stick with it was a false pregnancy thing, she's just to much of a energy ball to be pregnant, Plus from what I have read so far they usually give birth quite soon after the hair pulling, and usually pull alot more hair.

Thank you everyone for your concerns and comments!
I'm just another overactive worrier of a bunny mom LOL

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I hope she's not then! 300 plus bunnies in need of homes! That is a lot of unwanted bunnies. I don't understand people sometimes! Why would anyone go through the trouble and expense of starting up having a pet to just abandon them. I spent a couple hundred dollars just on the necessities that Tabatha needed. I knew there are plenty of unwanted pets (not just bunnies) and it makes me scream! You are right "A pet is for life!"

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 03:55 PM
I Stash Little Debbies

i got two new bunnies this morning!! the funny (and sad) thing is that one of them has the exact story of my Charlie - he's even a black and white dutch!! he was an unwanted Easter bunny, just like Charlie, and he's only 3 1/2 months old - he's still a little guy, it almost makes me cry when i think they were going to have to put him to sleep.

both of these guys came from the county shelter. the bad thing is that around here the shelters aren't built for bunnies so they usually don't last long there. there were two other bunnies as well, they were 10 pounders easy and they would've been too big for the space i have. luckily the woman i've been talking to was able to find them a foster parent as well. we were only going to take one bunny, but my husband's heartstrings got pulled by the thought of this other little white bunny being put to sleep. we figure we can at least give him a home until they find one for him, it's a very sad scene...

but i have to smile because now i have a mini-Charlie! we're calling him Rocko for the moment just until that sticks or we think of a name that better suits him. we are also going to foster the crazy looking little guy - he's a youngster too, only about 5 months old. he is white with grey tipped ears, a grey tail, and a grey splotch on the tip of his nose. add to that bright blue eyes with red pupils and really long ears. my husband is calling him Cerebral - Creepy for short. i think my husband started getting attached to him on the way home so he may become more than just a foster.

Last edited by jewels; 05-23-2006 at 04:09 PM.

Tags
local pet shop, neutered male, pet shop, pet shops