Poor Akina - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Poor Akina

Again, we are battling abscesses. Last time she had it drained and medicated. I cannot even remember which one we treated last, her teeth removal or the eye one. She's had so many...
She has a huge mother of an abscess on her left cheek now (I think the side where the teeth were removed) and 2 small joined ones on the right side.
Im stressed the heck out bc while I search for a job which will grant me under-the-table-so-student-loans-dont-rip-me tips Im only very barely getting by on my bills. Most of my bills are up to date but debt is one thing I cannot afford to fall in to. For the summer before I go back to school I hope to get a server or barista job so with tips from a generous clientele I can put money aside for my savings. What I want to get at here, I bought sterile needles from work and attempted a lance and drain myself (I know Im not a vet or vet tech but Ive seen enough abscesses drained and Ive done it myself more times than I can count so I dont want to hear about that tbh) including a wash and flush with iodine and saline for the eye area to only relieve the pressure off her eye until I can get her to the vet (Im not dumb enough to think the abscess will go away without antibiotics) but it seems something is way out of my league.
Im beginning to wonder what kind of neglect is present in my continued battle with abscesses if it is clearly some disease in her mouth which I can no longer afford? My poor bunny sits in her pen grinding her teeth and just laying around (sometimes in her litter box) and the only action I see out of her is when Im in the room shaking treat containers. I watch her take fancy in the small abcsess side of her mouth while eating and gingerly drink cold refreshing water from her spout. Cold water always numbs my pain. Like my co-worker said, why keep bringing her to the vet and spending tonnes of money to basically keep her alive but in misery? In between the abscesses she has zest but she's also a 4 1/2 year old un-spayed bunny. Ever since I got her 2 years ago we were fighting some illness or another with her starting with obesity.
I need some help here. Im confused and I do not want my bunny to suffer. I already made the no-more-animal commitment because I realise I cannot keep up on aging vet bills. I have a senior dog which (fingers crossed) is still healthy and mostly vibrant.
Please, what would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry

I know I've said it before, but abscesses often are a reoccurring problem in bunnies. Did you ever talk to the vet about stronger antibiodics - I've heard good things about injectable Penicillin. I don't remember what your vet has been giving you for antibiodics, but I doupt things like Baytril are going to cut it in this case. Did your vet try to culture the abscess at all? What about Xrays to make sure she's not having any further teeth issues?

It sounds like poor Akina is in pain, and I can't imagine her condition is very comfortable for her. Are there any rabbit rescues in your area? If you can't afford her care anymore, maybe it would be best to consider surrendering her to a rabbit shelter, they might have more experience treating this sort of thing, or worst case senerio I guess having her put to sleep would be better than having her be in pain all the time. If it where me, I would want to try stronger antibiodics (I don't think you ever ended up trying the Penicillin, sorry if I'm wrong) but I do understand if you have financial constraints. Maybe you could get some help? I posted a topic awhile ago about organizations that will help with vet bills in emergencies.

Poor Akina - I'm sorry again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks, I did find that BOTH sides of her face erupted today so I was able to effectively drain and clean them before whisking off to work late!
I have not been hooked up with the depocillin. He sent her pus samples to be tested against all the antibiotics and since it IS in fact sensitive to Baytril he sent me home with that again last time. He said the depocillin would be a long term thing and he never did get into the details about showing me how to do it to reduce appointments ALL THE WAY out there :/ So once payday comes I will be visiting with him again and weighing the best options out there.
With me searching for full time work for the summer, including tips, I plan on setting up my savings again for the school year emergencies. Im a little more optimistic now. I will check out them links and keep everyone updated Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

It seems like she's been dealing with this for awhile and keeps getting Baytril - maybe something else will be more helpful? I think I read before that Baytril isn't the best drug for penetrating the abscess wall ...but I don't remember where I read it to link you to the article.

If she's grinding her teeth a lot I'd ask about pain medication as well.

I hope she's feeling a bit better after the abscesses bursted. Give her a head rub from me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

^^ Thanks! She just received a nice massage and papaya tablet. She's got tonnes more energy today-my stupid cat was just making his rounds to test the bunnies and my patience and she hopped around him like old times rather than pity herself in the corner. And last night I completley cleaned the abscesses out, the holes expanded as I washed off the dead skin and hair to the point where I could stick in my little finger :/ blek! Thoroughly lined the inside with iodine as long as she tolerated and so far there's been no come-back. Im just glad that Im observant enough in the vets and researching that I know how to ease my bunny's abscess pain before visiting a vet. Both Matt and my mom watched me squeeze pus from Akina before and were close to nauseation!
So Ill be making the appointment for this week on my day off...In between going over to my friend's house to show her how to treat her female 'aggressive' bunny which sh just obtained from her cousin..... Oh, people. -_-
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Rodentologist

Ditto to what Dragonrain said. Even though the infection itself is sensitive to the Baytril, Baytril itself is not terribly penetrating. Our vet often recommends chlor for abscesses like taht.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 03:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

Good luck to Akina!
Man,she has been through a lot!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

I realise the Baytril hasn't been effectively keeping them at bay. It has been treating abscesses to their demise though. Also, I do know I need stronger treatment. Injectable penicillin is what my mind is set on- I would have had it last time but the abscess was half cyst and he cultured it or whatever, held it open with a cilicone drain and we thought it would be cured for a while.
Almost gaurenteed Ill get the depocillin, my vet just didnt think it was time last time. Long term depocillin will likely destroy gut bacteria, yes? And long term anti-biotic treatment in my mind will only lead to resistance and the bacteria becoming immune. I could be wrong but it happens in every other animal. I need something to zap the heck out of whatever is making her grow an abscess every month without anything too long term.
And I know, Lisa. She's a fighter man- she never fails to stand up and dance for a treat!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Appointment made for Saturday 230. Tonight I was massaging and singing to her and noticed that Retrobulbar is kicking in again. The same side the teeth were removed too Right behind her eye is a small bump beginning to protrude and is red. Am I justified in believing the worst? Is it cruel to keep her goin on medications? What if she's not happy? I only want my little girl to be happy. I try to make her comfortable but with her misery she sits in her pee and so I have to bathe her. When I bathe her I want to make her abscesses go away. When I go in her pen she runs away because he knows I'm the bearer of pain, but she also gets raisens for being such a good patient. I already am considerate enough to acknowledge that euthanasia might be a kinder option for her if the vet suggests this will never go away without long term injections. Not that I dont want to put her on the injections but I dont like the idea of life support for anyone. I want to believe that nature is responsible for the children she provides and therefore that Akina might be plagued with a misery for life.
Dont get me wrong, Akina is a fighter but how can we always be sure an animal WANTS to live if it means a long term medicine that will ultimately rot the gut anyway? How will I know it will make her happy? Or take her pain away? The lump on her eye is screwing up her vision and Ive watched her take a quick turn into her litterbox, her tunnel and also the metal grids of her pen.
Akina requires thoughts as she sleeps tonight. I will be undergoing the most severe decision of my life for the next 2 days so I, too, require thoughts. Thank you.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

You have mine.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm sorry for the position you're in. Hopefully these antibiotics help. And long term antibiotic treatment should help for her lifetime. Usually bacteria can only mutate enough for the antibiotics to not work IF they aren't being taken correctly. And these strong ones should put it out quick. And yes, the stronger antibiotics will kill good digestive bacteria, as I personally have been dealing with for the last couple months. But there are great pro-biotic treatments (I found a strictly pro-biotic drink at the store just literally 2 hours ago.) that really help to replace those missing bacterias. All the advice I have though, is to keep your chin up and mind clear. Listen and ask what the vet thinks about prolonging this fight. Maybe take this shot and see how it goes from there. Good vibes your way.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

I really believe that with the right medications she could make a more significant improvement. As far as I know, the penicillin injections aren't all that expensive, and your vet should be able to show you how to do them at home.

Did your vet tell you she would need them for life? I know people who used penicillin injections to treat abscesses and they did not need to use them for life - just for a couple of weeks/months, and so far now their rabbits have remained abscess free.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/jawabscess.html

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

If you could take a look at this link - I think I showed it to you before but I'm not sure -

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jwmoo...n/bicillin.htm

Quote:
The length of treatment depends on (a) the age and health of the patient, (b) how long the patient has been ill, (c) how many different treatments & other antibiotics were used and (d) how well the infection responds to bicillin. At this point in time rabbits are being treated with bicillin using the same dosage schedule as Pal's -- eight weeks of bicillin given every other day, followed by four weeks of administration every third day.
Most rabbits responded immediately to bicillin injections, while others who had been chronically ill for some time took anywhere from three to six weeks of injections before any results were seen. Therefore it is imperative to continue the bicillin therapy and not discontinue administration too soon.
And from here...

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo1.1.htm

Quote:
After surgery, consider depositing antibiotic impregnated methyl methacrylate beads deep in the tissue before closing the skin or administering a long-term (1-3 month) once daily course of an injectible Procaine Penicillin G, rather than oral antibiotics. Bicillin may be used, if the proper formulation is available and the owner is more comfortable giving injections every other day, rather than daily.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks Flickering
And to Becrac and Dragon, It's still up in the air. I will get all my answers Saturday regarding life-long or temporary injections. It just breaks my heart to see her and then I get the guilt that maybe it's supposed to be this way.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks Dragon! You did show me a pile of links I think these were included. I saved them to my browser for quick checking. There was a honey suture treatment I found on there too.