The poor litte rescued angora - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

The poor litte rescued angora

Just wanted to let everyone know that he/she (havent looked yet) is here.

Despite probably never having a loving hand touch it, it is very sweet. I mean VERY sweet. The poor thing is sticky and stinky with urine and is pretty well a solid mat. I am getting it shaved today, and I am a little nervous about doing it. I am a dog groomer, so I know how to do it. But I also know that a rabbits skin in much thinner than a cats, or dogs. I know that rabbits should not have a bath, but should I bath this bunny?

it is a french angora. I will get some pictures up, but my camera is in the shop. I will go get a disposable so I can take before and after pics. I cannot believe what a mess this poor bun is in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:28 AM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww...good for you for taking this bunny in! I am sure she (or he) will look much better in no time!! I am not a bunny expert,so I will let others answer your question.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Rodentologist

I would shave her first and see where that leaves you. Be extremely careful. Even though you're a dog groomer, rabbit skin is MUCH MUCH thinner than dog or cat skin. They will cut easily, even with trimmers. You may want to take her to an exotics vet the first time since she's so bad. She may need to be sedated for this shave. Rabbits can actually be scared to death.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

yeah jenni I know. Thats what make me so nervous. I am just going to see what I can do. Maybe i can get her shaved, maybe i will have to take her to the vet. She seems really really mellow. She let me brush and cut out some mats with scissors (not the ones close to the skin of course) for almost an hour yesterday!

Wish me luck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I found out that its a boy rabbit. And i got it all shaved but under its chin. There is no way i can shave that. So when he is under for the neuter I will have them shave it.

"Charmin" is mad right now. He is going around his cage throwing stuff. He didnt put up much of a fuss until the last part.

i hate to sound ugly but is it normal for them to have hairless pink balls?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 11:49 AM
can't think of one, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that he/she (havent looked yet) is here.

Despite probably never having a loving hand touch it, it is very sweet. I mean VERY sweet. The poor thing is sticky and stinky with urine and is pretty well a solid mat. I am getting it shaved today, and I am a little nervous about doing it. I am a dog groomer, so I know how to do it. But I also know that a rabbits skin in much thinner than a cats, or dogs. I know that rabbits should not have a bath, but should I bath this bunny?

it is a french angora. I will get some pictures up, but my camera is in the shop. I will go get a disposable so I can take before and after pics. I cannot believe what a mess this poor bun is in!
Don't immerse bunny, but you can sponge bathe her/him. Or spot wash. Not sure about the shaving though, seems harsh for the skin, maybe just get someone to help and clip bunny. That way nothing touches the skin

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins View Post
I found out that its a boy rabbit. And i got it all shaved but under its chin. There is no way i can shave that. So when he is under for the neuter I will have them shave it.

"Charmin" is mad right now. He is going around his cage throwing stuff. He didnt put up much of a fuss until the last part.

i hate to sound ugly but is it normal for them to have hairless pink balls?
Yep, completely normal. Congratulations, you have a male bunny!

And it is ok to bathe rabbits, but it should not be done often, and only in cases where they're severely dirty like this. You should also make sure they're completely dry by using a blow dryer if at all possible. In day to day activities, they'll clean themselves, but sometimes severe neglect cases like this literally can't get back to their normal level of cleanliness.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

After shaving his fur he really didnt need a bath anymore. To get under the mats he had to pretty well be shaved right next to the skin. He really did do great! He even rolled over on his side for me so I could shave his belly.
but around his head... nope, forget about it!

after looking at mine and my hubby's work schedule it looks like it will be 3 weeks before we can get him neutered and the rest of him shaved. I am sure he probably should get used to his surroundings before the neuter anyway.

Tags
abuse, matted rabbit, neglect, rescue