Poor Quality, Dangerous rabbit food. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Exclamation Poor Quality, Dangerous rabbit food.

While visiting a local pet store about a month back, I was recommended some food by the manager. It was called "Sano" ultramix. The packaging was cheap, clear plastic and the label was printed in black and white. He told me it had "everything your rabbit needs". Being a new owner, I bought the bag (which was surprisingly cheap) and fed it to my rabbit.

The food contains:
Corn
Pumpkin seeds
peanuts
Ample dried fruit (banana, papaya, and..apple?)
Oats that had been dyed bright green and red for human viewing pleasure
Oats

and a few other un identifiable things.

For starters, nuts and seeds should not be a part of your rabbits daily diet, they are high in fat and contain simple carbohydrates that "may contribute to fatty liver disease, cecal dysbiosis, obesity, and otherwise cause health problems."

The corn commonly found in rabbit food has hulls that are indigestible to rabbits and can cause dangerous health problems.

Another sign of a seedy (ha ha, so punny) pet food is when it is made to be visually appealing to humans.

When I went to talk to a manager about this pet food at the pet store, the man who I assume was the owner, told me:

"I'm a rabbit breeder, so ya corn is actually good for rabbits"

"The colored stuff is just for you to see"

"we've been selling it for five years, its designed by a vet"

what crap.

Might I ALSO add that I bought both a rat and a betta fish from that store, both died within 2 weeks of me buying them.

The store is Pet Crazy in Canada. I advise you to avoid it, as they have recently began selling puppies, which supports puppy mills, and any animal I have gotten from there has been ill. I no longer buy from pet stores, either. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that stuff isn't good for rabbits. Just a plain high fiber pellet is best. I feed my rabbit Oxbow Bunny Basics/T. I haven't been able to find any pet stores near me that even sells that kind, even though it's one of the top rabbit pellets. I just get all my rabbit supplies online now, even food and hay.

I'm glad you decided not to support a pet store that gives out false information and supports mills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 06:23 AM
Rodentologist

Another second for Bunny Basics, even though my current chunky foster buns are having to be forced into eating it. (Their former mom free fed them alfalfa pellets)

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Adolescent Pup

When I first found Flash, I ran out and bought a HUGE bag of bunny food from the 24 hour Walmart, just because that was the only place open when I found him at night, and they didn't have any small bags in stock. I was just in a rush to find ANYTHING I could feed him, as carrots were the only thing I had at home that he could eat, and I knew enough not to give him too much carrot. At least I was smart enough to avoid the stuff with colored pellets and seeds, but I realized it still wasn't the best once I learned to check fiber and protein content.

I intentionally sought out a vet that specializes in bunnies to take him for a checkup, and they sell Oxbow products at the vet's office, so I buy Oxbow pellets from them now.

--Fromper
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Betta Bomb

so is Ox bow the best?? i currently feed Suncrunch but when i picked up the bag today to buy i notiiced maybe there was lots of seeds in it.i had Acacia on pure pellets when i first got her and switched her to this food maybe a month before she was spayed which was 2 years ago. maybe i will make a switch?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Adolescent Pup

Seeds are no good for bunnies. You're better off giving her pure pellets. Check out the House Rabbit Society page for feeding information:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html

--Fromper
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Betta Bomb

oh,uh-oh...thanks! ill switch her.but i put her on the variety diet b/c i heard the pellets will make her fat,Akina got fat off eating them...ill check the site out,thanks,now i feel stupid and hurtful to their health
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

Pellets by themselves will make bunnies fat. The key is to give them hay and veggies, too.

Flash gets a bowl of pellets for breakfast first thing in the morning, then a bowl of greens for dinner in the evening, and I make sure his hay bin is never empty, so he has unlimited hay.

And of course, he gets unlimited water, in a bowl, not a bottle. Some bunnies do fine with a bottle, but I got him one when I first found him, and he didn't know what to do with it. So I figured a bowl is just easier.

--Fromper
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Betta Bomb

ahh,yes.well they get unlimited hay and water anyway.Akina gets a bottle b/c she has no bowl etiquette,Acacia drinks from a bowl -and same as yours they get their dry food in the morning and a big bowl of veggies at night.. i guess the only difference is i give them Suncrunch and you give them pellets...
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I bought some food made from a local feed store. The pellets had a dried mouse in it!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Betta Bomb

oh my.....how horrifying!
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Oh my god! And I thought finding a beetle in that mix I complained about was bad! *shudder lol that is so incredibly disgusting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

give your love no matter what.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Part of the Pack

Dried MOUSE??? Intentionally or accidentally? :S I'm all about pellets, hay and fruit.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Turbo's mommy.

if i feed my new baby bunny fruit and veggies will he not want to eat his pellets?

Turbo Bunny

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

it should have both. they will still eat pellets. Pellets only look unappealing to people to bunnies they look amazing. most have to be limited on how many pellets they eat

[/CENTER]

Tags
corn, dangerous, diet, food, nutrition