Poor Zeus, he broke a nail... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Unhappy Poor Zeus, he broke a nail...

Zeus was chasing my parent's dog around the house yesterday and he got one of his claws caught in the rug and ripped it off

I stopped the bleeding then called his vet. The receptionist told me that it's pretty common for that to happen to rabbits and that I should just keep it clean, keep his cage extra clean, and watch for infection.

I feel bad for him. I know how painful it is when humans cut or break their nails too short, and he ripped almost his whole nail off.

I've went crazy cleaning their cage today, because I don't want any germs to get into the toe and cause an infection. I cut away the fur around his injury so that I can clean it easier, and have been cleaning it with a mixture of water and peroxide, then putting on bacitracin (which is what his vet told me to do).

Zeus hates when I clean it but it seemed to be less tender today than it was yesterday when he first hurt it. I can tell it's still bothering him though. The vet said it shouldn't bother him for too long, a few days or so, and then it should start healing and feeling better.

Has this ever happened to anyone else's bunny before? Did you do anything special that I'm not already doing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Hello Earthling

Poor Zeus. My bunny (when I had him) did that once when he was out playing in the grass, but he ripped in nail right out, so it never would come back.He spent a good couple hours snuggling with Kibbles (his mommy XD) before he felt better to go and sleep in the kennel, we were using instead of putting him in the cage.

I hope Zeus get better.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Part of the Pack

Poor Zeus, hope it heals fine and soon. My daughter's friend had a rabbit that ripped a nail on a heating vent. The poor thing was trying to escape being humped to death by the other rabbit (both unaltered). I can't believe how much blood there was. We used cornstarch to stop the bleeding. I didn't see the bunny after that but they said he was okay by day two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:27 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Poor Zeus! I feel badly that he hurt himself but it's funny that he was chasing the dog!
Is his toe feeling better? Has the dog gotten over the trauma of being tortured by a bunny?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Zeus is feeling better, thanks everyone He was limping the first day it happened but after that you wouldn't even know it happened. However, after I look at his foot everyday he gets mad and will hold it up for a few minutes, but I think he's just upset that I got my human cooties on his paw, that or he's overly dramatic and thinks he'll get more treats if he acts like I hurt him. I doupt I'm really making it hurt more, I just look at it real quick to make sure it's healing okay. He has to spend like 20 minutes cleaning himself after I touch him, like I make him smell bad or something. lol

Zeus loooves to torment my parents dog even though Naomi is like 50 times his size. He chases her around the living room and when the dog lays down in her bed, he goes over and kicks her out of it so he can lay in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Once my ratties all had to get a shot at the vet. Three of them did pretty well with it, but one of them FREAKED OUT and screamed and tried to get away. He ripped out three of the nails on one of his back feet in the process. His toes were bleeding everywhere. The vet cleaned him up, but when we got home he wouldn't come out of his igloo for about 4 hours, not even for treats.

Glad to know Zeus is doing better.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Newborn Pup

I'm sorry to hear about Zeus's nail....poor baby, I hope he feels better soon.
Whenever my reptiles rip a claw out I use Neosporin with Pain. It's worked for them and it seems to lessen the pain a bit. Maybe you could ask your vet if this is a product you can use with bunnies?
Good luck, I really hope his nail heals real quick.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Actually my vet told me to use either bacitracin or regular neosporin (not neosporin plus). I used bacitracin on it for a few days but after that Zeus felt better and decided he had enough of that and it was a huge struggle to get it on him so I just left him alone.

His paw is feeling much better now though! The whole nail didn't rip off so it should grow back soon.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Jird Jostler

I good technique i found when treating injuries to paws is get a large bowl or tank and put about 3cm of warm water mixed with whichever antibacterial liquid you are using into it. Then just put your lil pet into it for a few seconds, take them out and dry them off. This is what i did when one of my jirds lost three toes, it all healed up perfectly.

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I actually did that too... I washed his foot by soaking it in a bowl of warm water mixed with peroxide. It didn't work so well with Zeus, he just got mad and pulled his paw out of the water. Oh well, either way he's better now so I'm happy

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 03:37 AM
Jird Jostler

Oh, im glad he is getting better. That technique might not work as well with larger rodents, but it worked a treat with my jird =]

I'm Georgia,
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Rabbits are lagomorphs not rodents heheh

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Jird Jostler

huh? never knew that

I'm Georgia,