possible blockage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

possible blockage?

hello

Does anybody have any experience with their rabbits eating carpet fibers? i'm wondering because my rabbit Sniffles took it upon herself to go into the bathrrom and got at the rug - she never ever goes in the bathrrom cause she slips on the floor - i couldn't believe it! anyway- now she is not going to the bathroom as much and her eating is slowing down a little. Do you think the fibers will pass or should i get her into the vet? She was just in the vet b/c of shedding season! i feel terrible if she has to go on meds again! i'm so upset that she got at the carpet! i have worked so hard to keep her healthy and now i fear that she is sick again!

anyway- does anyone have any experience with rabbits eating at carpet? Can it pass through after a couple days or does she need medication to push it through? I'd appreciate any opinions on this situation.

thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 crazy little girl bunnies:
Ninnles &
Luna ...and... 2 beautiful and wonderful rattles:

Pixie & Mischief... and... 1 sweet little chinchilla
Neo... and last ~ but not least ~ 7 crazy cats & kittens:
Dorian, Ana, V, Evie, Dantes, Maggie, & Sparrow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hi Fane
THere is this nice person who gaves me those recipes for bunnies, i think u can also find it at rabbit.org. It's supposed to help their appetite. Well you'll need to force feed her that with a serynge if u have one (the prozyme stuff is suppose to help pass hair balls, but i couldn't find it anywhere

Here;s the link

http://www.rabbit.org/care/recipes.html

Just in case they take it away here are the recipes

2Tbl. pumpkin pie filling (w/ no sugar or spice added)
1Tbl. banana baby food
1tsp. ground pellets (ground in a coffee grinder- it needs to be practically
dust, and nothing else works)
a little acidophilus powder
a little Prozyme (if you have it)
----------------------------------
Mix well. Feed 4x a day (maximum 90cc's per 5lbs. of bunny).

(or this one)

2-3 Tbl. softened pellets (place in a ziploc w/ a little liquid to soften)
1 Tbl. rolled oats
1-2 Tbl. fresh papaya, banana, apple, or finely grated carrot
--------------------------------
Put everything in a small food processor and puree. Add plenty of water until very smooth. Store in the refridgerator, but set out at room temperature for about 15 minutes before feeding. More water may be needed after refridgeration. Make a fresh batch at least once every 24 hours.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thank you so much for your response and the recipe! i am going to make some up tomorrow after i buy the ingrediants. In the meantime- i called my vet today and he gave me some Critical Care to force feed her but she hates it! Anyway- she is going to the bathroom again but still doenst want to eat- so i'm force feeding her for now. Tomorrow when i make your recipe, i will see if she likes that better! It sounds as if she will - based upon the ingrediants. The Critical Care smells like licorice and she hates it so much! poor bunny! Anyway!- Thanks again so much!

Ninnles &

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah my vet gave me the critical care too. Well the recipe with pumpkin is very good (Yes, i've tasted it) but my bunny didn't like being force fed so she didn't want to eat it, but my other bunny would be all over us to lick the "Puree" that would fall out of her mouth.

At one point when she was getting better, i just had to put it on a spoon and she would lick it off

But i do not think it provides as much as the critical care does, but it helped me and others...

Good luck, keep us posted

Meg
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

give some pinapple juice! fresh pinapple jucie disolves stuff and helps them pass blockages. and give more hay and more greens, less pellets...
and brush her fur often so she doesnt swollow much, becuase that sure doesnt help any. also i have found feeding wild grass helps a ton! just be sure there are no pesiticides used!
good luck!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Nothing will desolve carpet fibers. You can smear an inch long ribbon of Petromalt or other cat petrolium base hairball remedy on your rabbit's front paws. Your rabbit should lick it off and it will lubricate her digestive tract. You could also use a little mineral oil instead. About 6ml from an oral syringe into the mouth should help pass the fiber. This should be used only to get rid of a blockage, and not as a preventitive because the oil coats the tract and prevents absorbtion of nutrients. Good luck and keep us posted on how your rabbit is doing.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks for all the suggestions! Sniffles is doing much much better, she is going to the bathroom a lot again and getting back to her old eating habits. yay!

MeggieQC- i made the recipe you gave and Sniffles liked it much better. she gets that in the morning. and critical care at night.

ratty_ratkins - thanks for the brushing advice. i will be sure to brush her everyday. i think that is very impoortant- especially since Sniffles' system seems to be really sensitive to everything!

moonchild - thanks for the link. it was helpful. also- i will give her some cat hairball remedy- i got some from my vet along with the critical care.

thanks again for all the suggestions!

Ninnles &

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

no prob. glad to here she is doing better!!!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Great im very happy to hear that Sniffles is doing better.

Moonchild, I also thought the website you provided is very informative, i will keep it even thought my bunnies don;t eat the carpet, can be useful, you never know

Fane81 keep us posted on Sniffles (it's such a cute name)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks!

Ninnles &

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

Glad to hear the improvement...
over here rabbit critical care is called rabbir recovery...and the dried food associated with it is science selective..dont know if you guys have it there..but its got 19%fibre.

My first house bun ate sooo much carpet it was unbelievable. I had to give her liquid paraffin to coat the fibres but it took many different things to try and make her go..oddly enough..syringe feeding her organic baby food apple and pear did the trick..got her appetite up and the fruit juices in it combined with rabbit recovery did the trick...
sadly she was a lop from a pet store witha malformed jaw but even that didnt stop her chewing..especially carpet in my bedroom upstairs!

Tags
pet store, rolled oats