Is it possible to put my rabbi on a diet? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Is it possible to put my rabbi on a diet?

Hey everyone,

I'm kind of a new rabbi mom... I think Coco is at least 5 or more moths old. I think I've been over feeding him. Is it possible to cut back on his food and it not hurt him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hello!

What have you been feeding him, and how much? Also, about how much does he weight? Is he over weight?

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

My vet recommended cutting down on pellets because 2 of my buns were a bit pudgy - but at the appointment they were both about 2. I worry that at 5 months your bun is still growing. Have you consulted your vet? If you have not had him neutered yet this is probably a good time to take him into the vets and get him neutered and get a good check up.
As Dragonrain asked - what are you feeding? Alfalfa based diet or timothy?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Betta Bomb

I successfully down-sized my chubber mini-rex but still, as mentioned above, yours is still growing and there are some issues first before I spill the beans on mine and Akina's diet secrets..*creepy eyes insertion*
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

I've been fedding him about a cup of pellets and a handful of timothy hay twice a day... is that too much or too little?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

The timothy hay is fine. They should have unlimited hay at all times, so if he's eating all his hay and runs out, always give him more. Hay is healthy for them and doesn't make them overweight.

For pellets - what kind are you feeding? Are they made of timothy hay or alfalfa? How much does your rabbit weight?

If you looked at the link I posted, this is what they recommend for a rabbit under a year old.

Quote:
What quantities of food should I feed young adults? (7 months to 1 year)
introduce timothy hay, grass hay, and oat hays, decrease alfalfa
decrease pellets to 1/2 cup per 6 lbs. body weight
increase daily vegetables gradually
fruit daily ration no more than 1 oz. to 2 oz. per 6 lbs. body weight (because of calories)
But if he's only 5 months old, then this is what's suggested...

Quote:
7 weeks to 7 months--unlimited pellets, unlimited hay (plus see 12 weeks below)
12 weeks--introduce vegetables (one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz.)
Since he would still be growing, you don't have to limit food (pellets) as much. Keeping in mind that every rabbit is diffrent, I would consult your vet and see what they recommend for your individual rabbit. But really, at 5 months, you don't usually have to worry about overfeeding as much as you do when they are adults. When he gets to be about 7 months, you can decrease his pellets to the recommended 1/2 cup per 6 lbs. body weight. When he's a year old, the recommended amount is 1/4 cup pellets per 6 lbs, or you can keep him at 1/2 cup if he's really active.

Getting the diet right when they are adults can be more tricky. How much pellets you feed should be based on how much veggies you feed. If you feed them a lot of fresh foods, then you can decrease the amount of pellets.

For now, just make sure that if he's getting a lot of pellets, that he still eats hay too. You don't want them to eat only pellets and leave the hay because that could cause problems with his teeth. If he where just eating the pellets and leaving the hay, that's probably one of the instances when a vet would recommend to limit pellets even though he's still young.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyBottom View Post
I've been fedding him about a cup of pellets and a handful of timothy hay twice a day... is that too much or too little?
You need to give him lots more hay!! Rabbits need unlimited hay at all times and this must be changed regularly as they are quite fussy and will onll eat fresh hay! lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 AM

Holly is 16 weeks and I just shove hay into his cage all the time. It's his bedding and food and something to dig in and whatever else. I have gone to giving him two handfuls of pellets a day and he finishes them up in the few hours before I give him the next day's lot so it seems to be about right, and I'm introducing vegetables as well. Five months is probably too young to worry about diets unless he's somehow completely obese, but a lot of young animals have pudgy baby fat of some kind.

Tags
pudgy rabbi