Pre-Surgery Freak-out - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Pre-Surgery Freak-out

so for those who dont yet know-i found my bunny Acacia in a fret yesterday morning where her abscess had ruptured causing part of the bone which had rotted due to the infection to fall off.she seen the vet and he put her on Baytril for at least a month but she will be goin into surgery on friday morning. he told me to stop her food at 12 thursday night-is 8 hours considered fasting? and to stop her water at 6 in the morning proir to the surgery which would mean 2 hours without water. im afraid from what ive read that this is fasting which is bad and a no-no for bunny surgery.am i right or just freaking out? i cant even think properly with worry and her being so far away on friday,i have to work all day so nothing will be done right at work any suggestions or questions to ask tomorrow when i call to make sure he meant to fast her?? does anyone here have stories about similar surgeries ?? or experiences? is blood work mandatory or do i need to ask?? i have no idea with this being a new vet,im not as familiar with....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 PM
can't think of one, help

I'm not an expert, but I have heard and believe that bunny's should not be fasting. It can cause problems with their little digestive systems. Not sure what to tell you.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Okay - bunnies should not be fasted before surgery. They can't throw up, so that isn't an issue for them. I would ask your vet why he doesn't want you to feed her, and unless he has a good reason (I can't really think of one, but you never know), I would be concerned about taking her to that vet.

Yes, I highly recommend you get blood work done on her first. All the rabbit vets I've ever gone to required blood work before surgery, but it is a seperate cost (as in, not included in the cost of the surgery). Ask about it if you don't know if he plans to do it or not.

What concentration of Baytril is she getting? With abscesses, often times baytril isn't enough to have much of an effect, especially if the infection is in the bone. I would talk to him about the posibility of getting her on some stronger antibiodics - but, make sure your careful, if the vet isn't rabbit savy you don't want him prescribing anything dangerous.

Does the vet have a lot of experience with rabbits? Make sure you ask what type of anethesia she'll be getting and what monitering equipment he'll be using on her. Make sure your comfortable with all his answers. Is there another rabbit savy vet who could see her as an emergency if you don't like his answers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 11:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

I dunno what to tell you.I know NOTHING on bunnies really.
I hope everything goes well though,I really do.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

thank you,and Dragonrian i thank you for the knowledge.i need to call then vet today and ask to speak to him-b/c i cant get all the way out there today. so far im not comfortable with the fact that he wants me to fast her,which is what sparked my nervousness in the first place.i wrote down all your suggestions and questions to ask when i call.and i could see if st.john's vet is available to see her maybe it wont need to be as an emergency if i call early enough-and i trust them more than this new one anyway.

the first time i brought her in i was imressed with his knowledge and thought id do some research on the doctor in question but then this happened so fast i really am just stuck now with instinct and intuition.maybe she wont go to that vet for surgery tomomorow,ill look up what anesthetic she should go on and monitering eqipment sio ill know if im comofrtable with his answer.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck! If your don't completly trust this vet I would call and see if you can get her in somewhere else. I know it will be stressful either way, but it's always good to know that they're in good hands, with an experienced bunny vet.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

i know-id rather not pay him whatever the cost for her to come home either dead or worse than before.i got Lisa's birthday cake to worry about now though im decorating it which should take up to about an hour :?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

so,Acacia is back home tonight.i picked her up after work and she seems to be doin better,she's already eating..the doc only had her under for like 5 minutes,he wanted to get in past the abcess and see if her teeth were is alligned-which,thankfully,theyre not-and then he sloughed away dead skin to reveal the open wound for a better heal and trimmed the hair around the entire cheek to make for cleanliness..she looks like a mutant now-very scary face but im afraid to put up a picture, im just relieved she's better. i got little sleep,was a wreck at work-AND my horoscope for the day told me i would relax around the evening(i read it last night) and not to worry myself over an upcoming event,b/c it would be fine..Strange? i think not! im just giddy now im glad she's ok. thanks for all your support and prayers
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 07:05 PM
can't think of one, help

glad she's back and the surgery went well
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

so glad she is doing better!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

I'm really glad Acacia got through her surgery okay!

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks guys!! that really means alot to me and my girlie!! i bought 2 new toys today and gave her first choice so she picked the funner toss carrot with straw stuff attached and has been playing with it ever since,i think it makes her feel better and taked her mind off her cheek
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 AM
RAT ADDICT

Cute.Glad she likes her new toy!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'm glad she's doing better.

--Fromper
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 07:14 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

It is good she is doing better, did they sew it up or left it open?

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして