question about bunny food D: - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

question about bunny food D:

Eh, so I just got my rabbit right? They gave me a bag of food, that has a picture of a rabbit and says "rabbit diet" on it. I checked the protein and it sounded right, so I take it home. I just discovered, though, that this food is dangerous for my rabbit!!!

It has dried corn, I think dried peas and a lot of other stuff in it. Luckily, I think he just got a bit of the runs from it, but that was yesterday, and now his poop is hard.

I was just wondering, now that he doesn't have the runs anymore, should I still be concerned? We are switching today to an all pellet and fresh veggies diet and with the change in diet should I look forward to anyother bowel irregularities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hi

As long as you change his pellets to a healthier brand and his poops look normal again I would think that he'll be fine.

You didn't mention hay, and since I'm not sure if you have prior experience with rabbits I just thought I'd mention that unlimited hay is the most important part of a rabbits diet.

With his improved diet he should be fine. Just keep in mind that GI stasis is a major concern in rabbits and if he ever stops pooping or eating for a period of 12 hours or more then it should be considered an emergency. Not trying to scare you or anything, but it's good to get in a habit of monitoring what they eat and their...output

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Playful Pup

Yes, make sure your bun is eating lots of hay. My bun had GI stasis and it ended up costing us $900 to save her. My vet recommended a Timothy hay pellet over alfalfa hay pellet.

----------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- Trixie

-- Jersey

-- Ginger

-- Coco

-- Jagg

RIP
-- Hammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Betta Bomb

Also, introduce the veggies slowly if he hasnt had them before!!

Tags
bad food, bunny, pet store, poop