a question about fruit and vegies? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Smile

Hiya everybody, I have a 1 1/2 year old english lop rabbit named Hunny Bunny. Shes basicly our (hubby and I) first bunny although Ive had bunnies in the past but I was not the main care taker. Anywho, we found out she really likes fruit. I looked it up and found this big long list of safe treats for bunnies which was very helpful except it did not explain how MUCH is ok for bunnies? like, in a single day? This is a problem since I believe my husband has gone fruit treats crazy with her, because her poo has suddenly turned a kind of green-ish color? I've warned him thats not normal so hes cut back quite a bit. but we're still wondering what exactly a safe amount would be?

also, I lost that list! Does anyone have a link to a detailed list of safe fruits and vegies?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 11:24 AM

Living with a House Rabbit by L Dykes & H Flacks (I give this book so much praise) recommend you dont give more than one piece of fruit per day, aiming for one tablespoon per 2kg of your rabbit's body weight.

Personally, i wouldn't give my rabbits this much. I have mini lops and think one whole apple each, for example, would send their digestive system in to chaos!!! I certainly wouldn't exceed this given the high sugar and acid content in fruit which could cause dental problems.

For example, I give Dexter and Lily half a banana each in the morning and sometimes (if they're good) a couple of cubes of apple, along with their pellets. They have the remainder of the banana with their evening greens. If we have them we give them one or two grapes each, they like strawberrys, peaches and pears.

I would say if their droppings look like this they are having too much fruit, cut down a little and ensure plenty of hay is available and this should aid the digestive system get back to normal.

Hope this helps,

Kim
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 04:07 PM

I give my rabbit atleast one serving everyday. She LOVES apples, so I reccomend them.

Romain lettuce is also good, along with carrots of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I found that Ophelia loves plums. They also like pears and of course banana's. When I went away on a business trip I found that their daddy was splitting an entire banana between them a night. I thought it was too much but I feel better now.
They also like raisins and crasins but I only give them a couple of raisins each.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

we call her the hoggie bunny because she will literally eat anything given to her. not always a good thing... since cords and wires are included in HER list of "goodie things to eat"

she mainly gets grapes, apple, orange, strawberry, banana (little bits) but my husband got this idea that packaged plain dried fruits like the ones used in baking were an easy fruity treat so hes been giving her dried pineapple and mango and a few others? I dont know if those are good or not? but he makes sure their just "dried".

she also gets plenty of timothy hay and regular pet store bought rabbit food.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 01:17 AM

For my rabbits, I really limit the fruit. I only give about a one inch piece of apple, banana, pear, etc, or one or two grapes for each rabbit once or twice a week. They get lots of greens, brocoli, parsley, etc, and a small piece of carrot each day. I've read in a couple of books that although rabbits really like fruit, that it is too high in sugar for them to have much of it. I also notice that if I give them more than usual, they get soft poops the next day.

Also, I've heard a couple of times that English lops shouldn't have as much fruit and veggies as other breeds. I spoke to a lady who raised them and she said that she gave hers greens only once a week. I don't know why they would be different from other breeds, perhaps it's just a myth or maybe there is someone out there that could shed some light on it. Anyway, I'm envious that you have an English lop, I love those guys! Maybe I'll get one one day when I have more room
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

You can find a good list on house rabbit society website. I think it's House Rabbits - Behavior, Care, Rescue, Adoption, Education | House Rabbit Society

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Mine would eat just fruit if I let them. I usually take a serving and then split into two meals when they get their greens. They of course eat the fruit first but it gives them a variety. You might want to try introducing a different fruit a week. Then look at their stools to see if they can handle that type of fruit. Like Kathydip told you the House Rabbit Society is the best place to look for info on it. My little dutch would eat me out of bananas if he could. You don't want them to turn into little piggies.

Tags
dried fruit, dried fruits, dried pine, house rabbit, house rabbit society, house rabbits, mini lop, mini lops, pet store, rabbit food, rabbit society, timothy hay