Question about head tilt and Baytril - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question about head tilt and Baytril

Hi. I'm new here. I have a male dwarf bunny named Snow who will be 7 years old this summer. In the past he has had a few serious illnesses. One was chronic diarrhea. He was eating the wood chips in his cage, and that was the cause of it. As soon as I found that out, I stopped using wood chips to line his cage, and just use hay. Then he started having dental problems. He would get molar spurs that made sores in his cheeks. We get those trimmed down every 2 months now to prevent the sores. A rabbit savvy vet is an hour away from where I live, the local vets don't know anything about rabbits.

He developed a head tilt last Tuesday, not a severe one since his head wasn't all the way to the ground, and he always fought to keep it upright, he wouldn't just let it lay to the side. I brought him to my rabbit savvy vet as soon as I saw it, and she prescribed liquid Baytril, and an anti-dizzy medication. I started him on Baytril that same day. I had to feed him Critical Care for a couple of days because he wouldn't eat, but he's eating fine now so I don't syringe feed him anymore. He had an inner ear infection, and the Baytril cured it. It is now almost a week later, and he just has a tiny head movement that's hardly noticeable. The vet told me to give him Baytril for 10 days, but I read online you should give the anti-biotic for as long as possible to ensure all the bacteria has been destroyed. I had a bacteria infection myself last year, and when I didn't take the medication long enough, it came back full force, and I'm scared that might happen to Snow. I called the vet today to ask if I could give it to him longer than 10 days, and the receptionist told me that 10 days should be enough, and if you give the Baytril for too long, the bacteria becomes immune to it. My vet wasn't in today, so she's going to ask her about it tomorrow and call me back. I was just wondering how long should a bunny that had an inner ear infection be on Baytril to ensure there's no reoccurrence, but not make the bacteria resistant to the medication?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Hi hun..........my bunny has just got over an inner ear infection and head tilt with baytril.....he had severe head tilt and the baytril has cleared him right up......you wouldnt believe he is the same bunny...there is a post on here in the rabbit section if you take a look here http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f27/sammo-52707.html you can see for yourself! I gave him Baytril and Panacur for 14 days and touch wood so far it seems to have totally cleared up and he is in full health....i hope your bunny is over it totally xxx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hi, I'm glad your bunny made a full recovery too! Hopefully they never have to go through this again! It's heartbreaking to see a precious pet so sick.

My bunny's tilt was about the same as your bunny's, maybe a little less because he kept fighting to keep it upright. I was totally freaked out when he developed this condition, especially when he was rolling his eyes! It looked like he was having a seizure. Luckily that stopped within a day. I read so many horror stories online about how a lot of bunnies die from things causing head tilt, and how some bunnies have the tilted head for the rest of their lives! Poor things!

My vet didn't prescribe Panacur. I guess she figured it was for sure an ear infection, and luckily she was right. If it had been a parasite, Baytril wouldn't have been enough. The Baytril cleared up the infection almost right away, his head was tilting less and less everyday, and now it's pretty much upright and back to normal!

I think I'll keep him on Baytril for 14 days too, just in case. A full two weeks sounds like enough time to destroy that nasty bacteria! I'm just so happy to have my sweet little bunny back and healthy again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Yeah 14 days will be fine hun and it shouldnt make him immune to it or anything! We didnt know for sure it was ear infection so my vet said the panacur wouldnt do any harm anyway so just to use that aswell just incase!! Its awesome to see them back to normal though and i just pray it doesnt happen again my Sammo kept falling over and couldnt get back up when he was tilty bless him xx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh, I know, that off balance problem they get is awful! Snow tried so hard to hop around like normal, but he kept falling down and flailed around to get up again. I'm glad it didn't get as bad as some rabbits I read about. They couldn't even stand, and flailed around like that all the time! At least Snow could stand through the whole ordeal, and even groom himself, although it was a lot more work for him!

I stuck him in a smaller cage just so he wouldn't have so much room to hop and then fall down. Usually he has the run of the house, so the confinement was very stressful for him. Luckily he can now hop around as much as he likes again!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I had the same thing with Sammo poor boy couldnt get into the top half of his hutch coz he kept falling down and he couldnt hop about without falling over but he is all good now and hops around the garden with his cagemate perfectly fine eating the grass etc!!! xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Hopefully our bunny boys will stay healthy from now on and never have to go through this awful sickness again! Or any sickness for that matter!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Just wondering if you heard back from your vet about how long you can keep a bun on Baytril.
When we had Tabby she was rather ill. I found her wandering across a busy intersection. She had a head tilt and other issues. I think she was on Baytril the entire time we had her. If it wasn't the entire time is was almost the entire time! Now she was definitely an extreme case. Unfortunately, we were only blessed to have her in our lives for 9 months.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm sorry about your little Tabby. It was so nice of you to rescue her, and give her a good home.

I did call my vet back today, and she said it was ok to keep Snow on Baytril for 4 or 5 extra days after the 10 days she suggested are up, just to ensure the bacteria is gone for good.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Thank you. We feel really blessed to have had the time we had with her.
Thanks for the update. I was curious. I am glad that Snow is doing better.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 PM
Playful Pup

This is interesting for me to read - my poor bun has a headtilt at the moment, he's on panacur and has been for like three weeks now? Just over three weeks I think. He isn't having trouble going in straight lines or running or jumping or anything and doesn't roll his eyes or seize, he's basically in really good health, but the tilt itself hasn't cleared up. I'm trying to decide still if I should take him back this week and see if she thinks there is anything else that should be done. :/ Anyway, she told me to keep him on it for a full 28 days, even if he looked like he didn't need it anymore.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Maybe your bunny's head tilt comes from an inner ear infection and not the Encephalitozoonosis parasite. If that's the case, it would be better if he was on something like Baytril. You should keep him on the Panacur just in case, but maybe ask your vet about Baytril too. My vet gave my bun only Baytril because she was 100% sure it was an ear infection and not the parasite. Luckily she was right, but most vets treat for both, although inner ear infections are more common.

My bunny's head tilt hasn't fully cleared up either. I thought it did, but I can see he still has a twitch to the side that's only really noticeable when he sits still. I hope it isn't permanent, but at least he's happy and healthy again. He's on day 12 of Baytril right now, and I hope it will clear up what's left of the infection and bacteria.

Tags
bunny