Questions About Rabbits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Questions About Rabbits

I just had a few questions about rabbits. Eventually I would like to adopt one (my guess is it will still be a while since I don't know where I'd the put the cage for one in this house but one can never be too informed) but I don't know much about them and their needs (aside from food, water, shelter, love, vet appointments).

I've heard a lot people say that rabbits can get sick easy and die. Is this true and if so is it something in particular? Something that could be avoided? I've also heard a rabbit can be trained to use a litter box or something like that, is this true? What kind of pet do they really make (I know each one will be an individual but overall how are they as pets)? Special needs? Lifespan? Etc.

Any information would be a great help! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There are several good articles on pet rabbits at: www.drsfostersmith.com and click on "articles." I think the biggest danger to house rabbits is that they can get sick from eating carpet fibers and other things that block their digestive system. Outdoor rabbits get sick when they get wet and are not protected form the elements. Rabbits can be litter box trained, although not as easily as a cat, and most will leave some dropping to mark their territory. They live to be 8 to 10 years old, although some live longer. They need to be spayed/neutered to make great pets. Some become aggressive when they mature, but having them neutered usually takes much of the aggression away. I hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Behavior:I personally think they are great pet. I started with one rabbit, and i remember every night i tried to go to bed and he came up on the bed and put his nose against mine. If i stopped petting him he would lick me. Then i was trying to go to sleep and i would bury myself under the cover and he would dig and get under the cover for me to pet him

Then, we got him a girlfriend, he kinda stop the "ritual" but when i go up to him he will lick my hand until i pet him. But I personally think he has a happier life with his grilfriend instead of being bored all day. He would also steal stuff from us and run away with them

His girlfriend is not as loving, she grunts all the time, but i guess it's just her way of talking. So every rabbit is different

Feeding
This is what u have to be careful about. We are very selective about their food, and they have to have HAY all the time, so keep in mine that you will have to buy Hay every week or so, we buy vegetable every other day. Also pellets, do not buy the mixed pellets (the one mixed with dried stuff) just straight pellets. www.rabbit.org is very informative website for health, behavior, feeding and lot more

Litterbox training
One rabbit was easy to litter train (but again it depends on the rabbit) it gets a little more difficult with two, from my experience. Also don't buy the wood shaves or cedar bedding. I used the carefresh bedding. Make sure they do not eat it thought, and be ready to change the litter often, cause they poop a lot

Health
U have to be very attentive to your rabbit. AS soon as it's not eating or the behavior change u have to get them to a vet. Since they are prey animal they hide their weakness. ALso buy a thermometer. From recent experience, i could have avoided a lot of troubles

Here's a bunch of website for information, toys and other etc...

www.rabbit.org (Information)
www.morfz.com (Information)
www.rabbitresource.org (Information And check out the rabbit emergency kit also)
www.bunnybytes.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi (Toys and stuff)
www.rabbitcentral.com (toys and stuff)
www.bunnyluv.com/index.html (toys and stuff)
www.bunnybunchboutique.com (toys and stuff)
www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp (Healthy food and others, My vet use their products)

Well i guess im a freak about rabbit toys, I end up spending a lot of money

Watch out for the stuff they sell in the big commercial pet store, they mostly specialize in dogs and cats, well anyways around here there is no good store for rabbits. The commercial food, treats, bedding etc... is not always recommended

If u have more questions do not hesitate, i will gladly give u more info.

MOST IMPORTANT, do not buy your rabbit from a pet store. ADOPT IT FROM A LOCAL SHELTER OR WILDLIFE CENTER, THEY HAVE TONS OF RABBITS THAT NEEDS HOME AND MOST OF THE TIME THEY ARE NEUTERED/SPAYED AND SOMETIMES LITTER TRAINED. GIVE A BUNNY A SECOND CHANCE.. PLEASE.
Where do u live? I could give you some info on really good vets and shelters?

GOOD LUCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Here are some pics of my bunnies, it's just to show u how they "behave" or more like what they do

This is My bunny with his friend Madame in the back yard. Remember that bunnies and cats are not always friendly, it just happens that Mr. Shakes loves other non-threatening animals

Bunnies chilling on the bed with us

In luvcastle

Chilling

I forgot to tell u about cages and stuff. Remember that it's preferable to let ur bunny free a couples of hours a day so he can get exercises. For cages, there is a thread called NIC Cubes on this forum which i think is a Great idea, and it looks fun to build. I got a cage for ferret on a "Martincages" website. It's not really just for ferret, i think they might even call it a rat cage, but the thing is huge and it's basicly a big square with a top, it's pretty big, but my bunnies have the run of the room

Also, u will need to bunny proof the room where the bunny will be (covering wires etc..) And they like to chew on pretty much everything, i do not have a lot of clothes without holes. That's my fault, cause they get into my laundry basket. I just bought a hamper.

Hope im not forgetting anything
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:34 PM

OMG- MeggieQC- that pic of your two bunny's lying down is sooo cute! i love it when my rabbits do that! i think that is the cutest! and your picture captures the moment perfectly!

LdyDragon - i dont think that most rabbits just get sick and die- as long as you keep an eye on thier eating and their bathroom habits. as soon as either one of those slows down it means there is a problem somewhere in the bunny's digestive system, their teeth, or some other important health issue is arising.

if you're bunny will live inside you must watch out for chewing carpet fibers. that has been the only thing that has gotten my two bunnies into health troubles...and you can't put vet visits off with rabbits. if they are sick they need care asap. but i certainly wouldnt say rabbits die without warning from being sick- if you pay attention to their habits you will get warning signs and they will be just fine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thank you fane. Since we move they don't do it anymore...

Good vibes sent to Sniffles

Meg
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Wow what great advice and websites! Thanks everyone!

MeggieQC: I really love those pictures of your bunnies! They really are cute.

Do bunnies eat the hay then? Does it offer some kind of needed nutition? I'm extremely allergic to it (I found out while babysitting a friends guinea pigs a while back) there is no way I could manage having hay around everyday. So if it something that is a "must" for bunnies that will "nip it in the bud" right now.

I'd rather say "okay this isn't a pet for me" than ever do anything that wasn't good or the best for my pet. So if the hay is really that important I'll just have to consider a different type of little pet to adopt.

Oh and don't worry I will always adopt any pet I get. The Netherlands has a great set up for the shelters. They list all the shelters on one website and most of the shelters list all the animals avaible including a bit of information about the animal. They are all no kill shelters <3 and rehome any kind of animal that comes through their doors.

Fane: I guess it is a good thing that we only have carpet in our bedroom. The rest of the house has wood flooring. What is the best way to cover up cords and such so they can't chew on them? We do have a few cords that would be VERY easy for a bunny to get to and chew on.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah Hay is necessary

Here's what it says on rabbit.org

Is feeding hay important?
Hay is essential to a rabbit's good health, providing roughage which reduces the danger of hairballs and other blockages. Apple tree twigs also provide good roughage.

Good luck

Tags
box trained, carefresh bedding, guinea pig, house rabbit, house rabbits, litter box, litter box trained, litter train, litter trained, local shelter, pet store, rat cage, vet visit, vet visits