questions on litter boxes and food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

questions on litter boxes and food

first of all, my bun doesnt seem to be eating much timothy hay at all. she just nibbles on it where i cannot really even tell shes touched it. and i fill her bowl up with pellets daily, and she eats it all! so she i getting about two cups or more of rabbit pellets a day! i am not sure of her age, but i know she is pretty young. and i have heard that its okay to give them unlimited pellets. is this true? maybe not for this bun? since i had here it looks like she has gotten pretty darn fat.

okay, one more thing. my rabbit is litter trained and doing a great job of using her litter box. i am using shredded newspaper and hay for the litter. i have to clean it out everyday and it actually looks like it needs cleaned more like twice a day! what litter do you guys use. i would like something where i can scoop poops out of the litter box. she just uses the corner of the box, so i could just scoop that out and change ALL the litter once every two days. i tryed scooping the poop out today with a piece of cardboard put she pees there too, so all the hay and poop was pretty stuck to the bottom. when ever i clean out the litter box i have to scrub the bottom of it too. i am guessing a more obsorvent litter would help this alot. any ideas? is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 03:59 PM

All rabbits under six months can get unlimited pellets for growing. Although I think you should limit your rabbit's pellet intake since she eats two cups a day! When they get older than this, they should be switched to timothy pellets gently and fed a definite amount each day. I feed my two rabbits, they are both around six pounds, a little less than 2/3 cup of pellets.
I use corn cob bedding for the litter box. It is really easy to clean and I can sift out the clean litter from the dirty one with a little bunny pooper scooper. I know a lot of people use hay for the litter box because bunnies like to eat while using the litter box, which you could try to entice your bunny to eat more, but I think it would be harder to spot clean than corn cob.
Another thing you could do is try different varieties of hay, like bunny brome or orchard grass, which are sold by a company called Ox Bow. You could also put treats in the hay so she would at least have to associate the treats with the hay and she might just get a mouthful of hay when she tries to get the treat!
Good luck with your bunbun!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

thanks alot. what treats can i feed my bun? i have read in a few places that young buns shouldnt get fruits and veggies. i have just been feeding her oats as treats. she sure does like them. thanks for the ideas. i have thought about using yesterday's news for the bun litter... but its sorta pricey! i think i am going to try aspen. i can scoop out the litter where she potty at then. it could with the hay, but its sooo messy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 05:36 PM

There are many treats available at pet stores. Unfortunately, many of these are very unhealthy and contain nuts and other bad things like that. One good brand, Vitakraft, generally sells only treats that have at least a bit of nutritional value. Raviolos and Fruit Crossys are my bunnies' favorite treats. You might want to stay away from yoghurt drops and the likes for such a young rabbit and even should be fed to an older one with caution and moderation. I hope this helps.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 07:36 PM

For the litterbox, we use Yesterdays Newz. Works great, and is very absorbent. There is no smell, or mess to clean up, just dump inh the garbage every couple of days. MOF, our litter critter will let us know when it is time to change the litter box by simply pooping next to the box, just to remind us that it is time to dump.
About the hay matter, our mini-lop just turned 1 year old a last week, and we had a heck of a time trying to get him to eat hay in the beginning. My trick, is simply to add a little alfalfa to the top of the hay, and watch it go down.
Treats, well, we try to limit the treats as much as possible. Our little one loves anything sweet. MOF, he will cruise the floor when we are eating, like a little vacuum picking up the crumbs. That guy kills me when he finds something that he doesn't like!
Our local rescue league gave us an idea that seems to work pretty well. And it is cheaper than store bought stuff. Get some Oat meal, some dried fruit, raisins and some other little treats that he likes to eat, and mix them together. We give about 2 teaspoons every other day, and MOF, we he hears the lid open up, he is jumping all over us trying to get the treats.
Hope that helps.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

thanks it does help. however i would like some treats to use as training aids. they have yogurt coverd soy nuts at the store next to me, says its for rabbits. that doesnt sound like a good idea to me for a young bun. by the way, how long should some yesterdays news last for a one bun?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 02:30 AM

mmm I didn't see it mentioned, but Aspen litter is not good for the bunnies. Harmful aromatic oils in that litter. I use Carefresh (which is as good as a Yesterday's News type of choice). I pretty much only clean this every other day and dont stress about the spot cleaning. My one bunny her litter poops up alot quicker (for whatever raeson) so if it seems necessary I change it once a day for her. and I always rinse out the pan with warm soap and water. As for pellets I would try to keep it regulated even if she is growing because than they get spoiled with it and do tend to avoid the healthier, Timothy Hay. My bunnies get about 1/2 a cup of pellets for breakfast, a few large handfuls of Timothy hay for dinner . Dinner also includes little carrot sticks or romaine for my bunnies, but you do have to wait for after 6 months for fruits and veggies. Be acreful about nuts and dried fruits I've heard around alot they're not so good. For treats I do buy alotta of the Vitakraft stuff. Once in a while a yogurt drop more frequently the carrot or corn munchy sticks thingies. Anyway best of luck to you, hope I could be of help.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 09:42 AM

Aspen is not hurtful to rabbits. Pine/Cedar bedding is the one that is harmful.
Nuts are not recommended for rabbits, they are not too good for them. The treats I mentioned a pretty small and I have used them as training aids, whether it is to teach them to "come" or go in the cage.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 10:30 AM

We free feed our bunnies until 6 months of age. At six months we limit pellets to 1 oz per pound of body weight.

Hay plays an important part of the bunnies diet specifically during a molt. The hay assists in the rabbits ability to pass digested hair through its system. If your rabbit isnt eating hay its very important that you brush it daily during its molt, to limit the amount of hair digested while your bunny cleans itself.

Rabbits love treats, and have a fervent sweet tooth! We actually give oats as a treat when the bunnies start eating pellets (keeping a close eye on them when we do). At about two months we start giving small amounts of black oil sunflower seeds. We dont give any other treats until they are about 5 months old.

Our website has a list of common treats and items to avoid. As with any diet change, it is important that you watch your bunnies with any treat to make sure they dont get the runs! And keep in mind that these should be treats and not make up the bulk of your rabbits diet. Visit us at www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.com
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 06:08 PM

The Yeasterday's Newz last in the litter box for about 2-3 days, depending on how your little one uses it. We get a 25 lb of it, and it last about 3-6 months. We just scoop about 12 oz cup full in the litter box-at first it doesn't look like much, but as your bunny uses it, will will see the results. On the subject, there is a product that they sell to help your bunny use the little box- I can't remember the name off hand, but they are little white pellets that you put in the box, it seems to work pretty well. Anyways, When I get back home in a couple of days, I will be glad to post the some info from our vet about what fruits and veggies that a rabbit can eat. WE use it all the time-just to make sure.
About the cage lining- we use carefresh too, but our bunny hated it... MOF, he loves a clean floor, and would rather us not use, cause he seems to want to throw it out of his cage. We used it for 6 months. GREAT STUFF!

We gave Sir-poops-alot yogurt treats at first, but then we switched to raisins, and he would rather have them now.. But as you will find out- all rabbits are very fussy about what they eat, so it will be hit and miss with stuff- we found that out the hard way. You will need a LOT of patience when it comes to this- at first he didn't like certain foods- now he LOVES them. So just an ear to the wind- on that point.
Take care-
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 11:47 AM

Here is some information from our vet about what foods are safe and not safe for rabbits.
NEVER FEED your rabbit:
Iceberg Lettuce, cabbage,raw beans, potato or potato peels, or anything to old to eat yourself, Spinach,cauliflower,mustard greens, rape,kale,rhubarb,apple seeds,peach pits, apricot pits,or nectarine pits as these items are either poisonours or toxic over time.

SAFE for your rabbits
Carrots and tops, Romaine(leaf lettuce) Apples, Parsley, Celery and/or leaves, Grapes, Watercress, Brussel sprouts, Kiwi, Cilantro, Broccoli,Banana, Mint, Tomato, Pear, Radish Leaves, Collard Greens, Peaches, Beet greens, Pineapple, Strawberries, Pea Pods, Papaya, Blueberries.

DO NOT give your rabbit HONEY COATED seed treats found in grocery or pet stores. SEEDS can KILL your rabbit.

I hope that this helps.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 11:11 PM

I put the Carefresh in a large cat sized litter pan for my bunnies. Her floor has carpetinging in sugar's cube condo. Coco has a plastic flooring with the small gridwork for messes to fall through to pans. But anyway Carefresh in the litter pan only is pretty effective for me. and yes now i recall, Aspen was considered a "safe" litter, but I still have to put that on the bottom of my list of choices.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 08:36 AM

I know a few people that feed their rabbits kale and cabbage without a problem.

Tags
collard greens, corn cob, corn cob bedding, dried fruit, dried fruits, litter box, litter pan, litter train, litter trained, mustard greens, pet store, pet stores, rabbit pellets, sunflower seeds, timothy hay