quick flea question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

quick flea question

hello.

just a quick question- can rabbits catch cat fleas or are they species specific? my bunnies don't have any fleas or anything- but we just took in a stray kitten and that's why i'm wondering. (i got flea meds for the kitten and everything but i'm still curious)
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:36 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Not sure, but the stray needs to see a vet ASAP.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave
Not sure, but the stray needs to see a vet ASAP.
thanks for your reply. i know- i've got an appt at humane society for him tomorrow - but i'm just nervous some fleas might have jumped off. and i don;t want my bunnies gettin any buggies! i've kept everyone seperate but those darn fleas tend to find a way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yes, rabbits can get fleas. One of my dogs got fleas at the vet's office when she was a puppy and one of my rabbits (Sakura) caught them. I called the vet's and they told me to get this spray at the petstore that's safe for small animals. You spray their whole body and then rub it in. The fleas were gone in less then two days . It's also a preventive that protects them for up to six months.

If you want the brand name, I can go look for the bottle .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
If you want the brand name, I can go look for the bottle .
thanks for the info! stupid fleas! i'm hoping its too cold for fleas to be on the kitten... but thats probably wishful thinking. but if you have the bottle around- i'd love to know the brand name- it sounds like good stuff if it worked onyour rabbits so quickly! thanks again!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Playful Pup

i havent had t deal with fleas with my bun and wont have to as we dont have them where i live but i read that fleas can be deadly to rabbits if not seen to right away, hope this info is usefull to ya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
*~* JEN *~*

1 Bunny *Ruby*

2 Hamsters *Pesky* & *Hurricane*

21 Fish

2 Frogs
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane81
thanks for the info! stupid fleas! i'm hoping its too cold for fleas to be on the kitten... but thats probably wishful thinking. but if you have the bottle around- i'd love to know the brand name- it sounds like good stuff if it worked onyour rabbits so quickly! thanks again!
It's Ultra Care Flea and Tick Spray for Small Animals. The brand is 8in1. I think you should be able to find it at most major petstores .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks everyone for the replies!

Pixie_3: i haven't seen any fleas yet and i've been brushing them like twice a day to make sure - and will definately keep on checking - i didnt know they were deadly to rabbits! thank you for sharing taht info.

Sasami: thanks for checking the bottle for the brand! i'm gonna get some just in case. it'll be good to have around.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane81
thanks everyone for the replies!

Pixie_3: i haven't seen any fleas yet and i've been brushing them like twice a day to make sure - and will definately keep on checking - i didnt know they were deadly to rabbits! thank you for sharing taht info.

Sasami: thanks for checking the bottle for the brand! i'm gonna get some just in case. it'll be good to have around.
No problem ^_^. Yes, it probably would be good to have just in case.

~Stephanie

Tags
humane society