Quick questions. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Hunny Bunny

Question Quick questions.

Its getting a tad chilly here in ontatio, binoos room gets pretty cold in the winter. Will he need a heater or a rabbit cozy? Ive been looking around and cant seem to find anything to help me with this problem.

Second, im planning on getting him neutered is there anything i should know anout what to do before and after neuter surgery?

Third, Why is he so scared? He doesnt run around his play pen, i assume its because we have hardwood floors. im in the process of finding a rug for his play area.

fourth, is he lonely? Im with him for most of the day but i worry he might be lonely. he seems curious bout my dogs but im not sure about letting them get too close. they are shizus so small breed but they are still bigger then he is.

i believe binoo in a mixed breed cause he is a tiny bunny. lol anywho any help would be great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Betta Bomb

Hi
1.As for the cold room, you can get a space heater for the room. They are relatively cheap. But if it's kept cold Binoo will tolerate it with a thick winter coat (which will molt heavily in Spring).
2.Neutering is a simple procedure. Just make sure he has lots of food (NEVER fast your bunny) and treats. He will spring back. Keep an eye on the area for infection is all. His boy bits can still produce babies up to a couple months after being neutered so don't rush out and get a female bunny! lol
3.How old is Binoo? How much time do you spend with him? Some bunnies are naturally shy (mine is) . It sounds like he has his own room, which is good.. But a room is nothing with nobody to share it with. I always recommend people keep their bunnies in a room/area in the house in which people spend a lot of time. Bunnies are complex and social and love attention and listening to voices. He might be afriad of the floor (bunnies slip everywhere bc they don't have pads on their feet) and with the shih tzu's he might feel insecure. Get a rug or blanket on the floor and lure him out with treats. You need to be patient though, his cage is the best place he knows and will take some time for him to get used to coming out of.
4. Bunnies like to be bonded to another bunny. I can't say much because I only have one bunny but I know in the future I will only get 2. Bunnies spend hours a day grooming each other and communicating (chirping etc). I would suggest if it within your means to adopt a bunny around the same age as Binoo. Go to a rescue after he is neutered and see about them setting him up with a girl there. (male-female bonds work better) most rescues have no qualms about setting up bunny dates. Bunnies don't always accept any bunny to bond with, keep that in mind.
Also keep in mind the added vet expense with another pet. I know in my province it is impossible to have small pets (It cost me 260$ for my vet to poke an abscess on my bunny which didn't even remove the infection. I did it myself and demanded her to give me antibiotics.. I don't recommed this to you! lol I have years experience with abscesses)
Anyway. Hope this helped.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Hunny Bunny

Binoo is almost one. Im with him for atleast 6 hours a day. When ever Im watching tv or on the computer I have him out. And hes basically taken ove my bed room sooooo I call it his room. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Hunny Bunny

Hes also started grunting.

How do you tell if buns are happy?

Will he be happier with another bunny?
I wanna know all i can to make him happy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Betta Bomb

An unhappy bunny is one who is lethargic, doesn't play or interact, doesn't chin things, don't hop around and explore, is not inquisitive..
Grunting can mean any number of things. My bunny talks to me, she grunts when I pet her and when I give her treats. She also grunts when she's in a bad mood or I move her cardboard hut.
Another bunny can mean a lot of extra work for you in the sense that you're bunny Binoo may not be interested in you anymore. They will be each other's friends. Have him neutered to eliminate spraying and stink. If you want to try another bunny, ask a rescue to foster one. And research bonding tips since you cannot expect Binoo to just be okay with another bunny coming into his room.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Hunny Bunny

Binoos neuter appt is on the 7th. What do I do to prepare for this?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Hunny Bunny

Tags
neutering, scared, toys