R.I.P(ieces). Carpeting - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Rabbit Discussion All things floppy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Unhappy R.I.P(ieces). Carpeting

I am sad to say that yesterday, I discovered the brutally mutilated remains of the corner of my bedroom carpeting. Apparently, Smudge had some kind of pshycotic break and murdered the carpeting in his favorite corner under my bed... You can see the freaking floor boards!!
Thankfully my mom let both of us live, and Smudge is now serving his sentence in bunny prison (AKA his enormous "closet cage") untill I can figure out how to block off the corner. Any ideas? Its the corner that my bed is in, right under the head of my bed. It I take my bed off the frame thingy so that he cant go under it, it makes my bed low enough so that he can jump on top.... Not a good thing. The only think my and my mom have been able to come up with is to block the whole underneath of my bed with boards, but he can and will chew those. And if I cram storage boxes under my bed, he will probably find a way to wiggle between them and get himself stuck.
Im just glad he didnt actually eat any of the carpeting! The carpeting is older than me, so I dont really care, but my mom wasnt pleased LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:17 PM

i would say see if you can get hard wood floors. if your mom says nouse nic cubes and block off under your bed. thats what i did. it works for cats too!! lmfao
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Hello Earthling

Your poor carpet.... may it rest in pieces.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

I dont think I can... My mom would probably make me pay for it LOL! It would be nice though.
Smudge just sits there and chews on NIC cubes if I use them for bunny proofing, and I cant imagine that the paint is good for him. Hes an evil little thing.

Thanks for the condolences Kayla. Im truely heartbroken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Could you put a wooden board over it? I've used boards to block off areas.

By the way, I totally feel you on the psychotic bunny rampages. Sakura free-ranged for years without so much as having an accident or nibbling on anything. Then one day she chewed THROUGH the wire protectors and destroyed like three wires (she was fine, thankfully, but my aquarium equipment was not). A month later she destroyed my beach bag. She was ok after that .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

If not NIC's then maybe just get some bunny safe wooden boards. I guess that would probably be the safest thing for him if he's going to chew on whatever you use.

So sorry about the loss of your carpet!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh no!!! My mom could totally relate!! Her bunny, Roger, had a thing for shredding carpet, among other things, as well!!!
Hope you find a solution!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

LOL, thanks everyone! Im burying Carpets remains tomarrow... He will be greatly missed.
And I stopped trusting Smudge around cords years ago- he chewed my phone charger in half, chewed the cord to my iPod dock/speakers I got for Christmas the day after I got it (the cord fell, and I didnt realize it untill it was too late) and he started chewing on my cord protectors too. He also thinks my dresser is tasty

What kinds of wood are safe for them to chew again? I cant remember for some reason.
I was thinking of just putting a slate tile over it for now... I can steal one from Winks viv. Those things are really heavey, so he wouldnt be able to move it. Im not sure though.
My grandparents are coming tomarow for the weekend, so I hope Ill be able to figure something out. Otherwise he will be cage-bound for a few days.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Part of the Pack

Oh yeah, Roger was definately a "wascally wabbit" as Elmer Fudd calls Bugs. That's probably why they're so cute--it makes it hard to get mad at them. They say cats have 9 lives, but I'm sure Roger used up more than that. He survived eating: tons of carpet, many electrical cords (with the lamp turned on!!), a Cool Whip bowl, made "fringe" on our couch skirt, chewed through my clothing while I was petting him and didn't even notice, a Nintendo cord, telephone cord,..... We miss Rog, but we have reminders of him everwhere...ha ha If you find ANYTHING that is bunny-proof, let me know what it is!

~Amy~ Mom to Lucy

Forever in our hearts...
Mina, Psyche, Puff, Bootsy, Tommy, Sooner, Quinnie, and Lucky.

~and last but not least, my bunbun Roger~
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

LOL, sounds like he was worse than Smudge! He is almost 7, so you would think he would be out of the "desrtoy everything" stage of his life. Apparently not though. He always looks so innocent too.
And I have yet to find something that is truely bunny-proof... The NIC cubes hold up pretty well though...

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:40 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

How interesting...my rabbit suddenly went berzerk the other night too. I've never seen her act like that until then. Started scratching furiously inside her cage. I've been considering on throwing in a digging box to satisfy her, but still pondering on what exactly to put in it.

That said...maybe you should give Smudge the same treatment? A specific area to do whatever the **** he wants to, that isn't attached to the rest of Carpet.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:55 AM
the rodent lover<3

Sunny chews on cords too. She almost chewed through our cable cord so the cable guy had to come nail it under the carpet. She knows it's still there and STILL tries to pull it up! She also thinks the night stand is very yummy.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think rabbits ever outgrow being destructive. My 15 year old rabbit use to love trying to put holes in my mom's couch covers. Luckily the buns I have now have taken it easy on our stuff for the most part. Ziggy does have a thing for chewing on baseboards and the wooden closet doors though, but I moved their room into a different room that doesn't have baseboards and a closet. Zeus use to be the king of chewing up wires. I think in his short lifetime he chewed like 3 of my cell phone cords.

My bunny condo is made of untreated poplar hardwood. I bet using a tile would work well too.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Smudge can do what ever he wants in his cage (he has carpeting and his litter box to dig in, a fluffy bed to dig on, blankets to dig, ect) but it seems like he would rather take it out on my stuff LOL. I tried giving him a dig box full of shredded paper once, but he just sat there and ate all of the paper like it was hay, so I took it away.
He just destroyed his favorite toy this week, so I was bugging my mom to take me to Petco to get him some more, to keep him busy so this kind of thing wouldnt happen! I guess Im too late though!
So polar hardwood is safe? Ill have to check that out.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

I know there are others that are safe too, but I can't seem to recall them off the top of my head. I tried looking up a list for you online but didn't find much for some reason.

Tags
destructive evil bunnies